86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel hub bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Wheel hub bearing

Took my 1994 Toyota pickup to the dealership for unrelated issue and they called and told me that the front brakes are worn, and the rotors need to be turned. Not a major thing but they also told me the bearing in the front drivers side needs to be replaced.
Well when I bought the truck the previous owner spray painted the locking hubs silver. Ewwwwwww so I plan on replacing them. Is this the time to do it ? Also since Toyota wants 500 to do the brakes turn rotors and repack bearing I thought I would buy the parts and Do it since I can get new rotors/ brakes and bearing kits for less than 200. I did a search and other than the “what everyone should know about the 3vze “ I didn’t see a real recommendation on brakes and rotors. So what do you have and are you happy with them.

Does the locking hub piece have anything to do with this replacement other than face bolts ?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:51 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
If the locking hubs are Aisin (Toyota OEM), do not replace them with anything else. The Aisin's are the best there are for your vehicle. You may want to pull them apart and re-grease them, and then you can paint the face plates whatever color you like.

You'll have to remove the hubs to get at the bearings. First remove the small bolts, and then you can get at the next set with the infamous cone washers. Those washers can be hard to get out. Usually I leave the nuts loosely on the studs and smack each one a few times with a hammer to loosen the washers up. Hitting sideways on the hub body itself with a wooden block can also be helpful. Then there's the gold center bolt and washer that needs to be removed. At that point you can pull off the hub and access the bearing. You'll need a big (54mm?) socket to take the bearing nut off. Those are usually available at Autozone or O'Reilly's.

There are writeups on this forum on how to remove and rebuild the hubs. Google "Aisin Locking hubs f116" and you should get some hits. (the f116 in the search string tells Google to search this forum). Here's a good link.
Aisin hub rebuild

Last edited by RJR; 11-27-2018 at 08:53 AM.