Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

whats is this? 2nd Gen 4runner engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats is this? 2nd Gen 4runner engine

and should it be covered or is it supposed to be open like that? for those who arnt to sure its whats circled in red
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
FYI: i tweeked your thread title slightly based on your avatar. Titles like 'what is this?" could be deleted with out notice: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f104...elines-200183/ # 11
Old 09-13-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hold on Im gnna go check and see iF i have that in my Engine
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
FYI: i tweeked your thread title slightly based on your avatar. Titles like 'what is this?" could be deleted with out notice: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f104...elines-200183/ # 11
thank you and yea im new to toyotas and im just trying to get mine running correctly and that just didnt look right to have something like that uncapped
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
no problem
one thing that you might want to do is add your vehicle type, engine to your sig, helps people out when trying to answer questions.
something like:
1990 4Runner 3.0 auto
Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 PM

will do
Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM

huh..I have the same thing on mine if it makes you feel any better IDK what it is, I moved the Idler Arm and theres a sort of line that moves from it when you turn the arm. Good Question, IDK either LOL.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by kzink
will do
You know how to do that right? Go to User CP and on the left hand side scroll down a little and you'll see edit signature or something related to that.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM

well hopefully someone chimes in here and lets us both know what it is haha
Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That part is called a dash pot dash pot. Whats missing on yours is the seperator, the filter and cap. As as far as i know you can`t get these parts seperatly, so you will need to replace it.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 PM

any problems running without all this or do i need them on there
Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by kzink
any problems running without all this or do i need them on there
I really don`t know if it will effect anything, but if you can find one used or at a wrecking yard i would replace it. Or call the dealer and see what a new one costs.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:22 PM

As far as I know, it's a dashpot, similar to the anti-stall dashpot on a carburetor. It serves the function of prolonging the throttle valve closing, for a slight lean condition when the throttle is released from higher rpm, helping to avoid a rich condition that could over time cause premature wear on the catalytic converter. Mine got to the point it would stick, holding my throttle open, and I would have to snap it open/closed to get my idle down. Annoying. So, went shopping and NO ONE knew what it was. Searched internet, found threads like this, got FSM, ID'ed part, went to store, way too much $$ for me. Took it off, and aside from off-throttle response being more jerky, no difference. It just idles down quicker. When I have the spare change, it'll get one put on it. So no worries, pop it off, or leave it on. But it can be a spendy little bugger. Long story short, There's millions of these trucks, with millions of issues, and a good search and FSM will almost always help you out.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
That part is called a dash pot dash pot. Whats missing on yours is the seperator, the filter and cap. As as far as i know you can`t get these parts seperatly, so you will need to replace it.
niccee oka cool thanks man..I have a cap i noticed on mine his looks different..without it..it looks like the only thing it really does is something that connects with the gas pedal. cuz thats what the arm is for above is, but IDK.. You'll mostlikely be fine it looks like maybe the cap is for anticorrosion..But its just guess cuz I have no Idea what its for. Or what its purpose is
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 PM

How much did they want for a new one ?.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by JDS1992
niccee oka cool thanks man..I have a cap i noticed on mine his looks different..without it..it looks like the only thing it really does is something that connects with the gas pedal. cuz thats what the arm is for above is, but IDK.. You'll mostlikely be fine it looks like maybe the cap is for anticorrosion..But its just guess cuz I have no Idea what its for. Or what its purpose is
All that part really does it keep the throttle from slamming shut when you let off the gas.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:22 PM

I think Toyota wanted about $60 or so, it might have been more. And all the local auto parts joints thought I was high when I said I was looking for the dashpot for a 22RE. "Huh? Fuel injected motors don't have one!" So I brought in mine and the FSM with location/description, and they still didn't know what I was talking about. Figured that a junkyard one would likely be in the same or worse shape, so I haven't replaced it.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 PM

Lemme get a pic up of what one should look like. At least on a 22RE... I haven't done this yet. Want mine?

Last edited by combatcarl; 09-15-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: pics added
Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Looks like the dash pot. There's supposed to be a small filter on the end of it. It's like a tiny shock absorber that prevents the throttle plate from snapping completely shut when you let of the accelerator abruptly (or even just lean off it)

Supposed to help with emissions by allowing better combustion at at idle. See here, even though this is for a MKIII Supra, the function is the same. You can click through the pages to read more.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...Section=EC&P=8
Old 09-15-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by combatcarl
As far as I know, it's a dashpot, similar to the anti-stall dashpot on a carburetor. It serves the function of prolonging the throttle valve closing, for a slight lean condition when the throttle is released from higher rpm, helping to avoid a rich condition that could over time cause premature wear on the catalytic converter. Mine got to the point it would stick, holding my throttle open, and I would have to snap it open/closed to get my idle down. Annoying. So, went shopping and NO ONE knew what it was. Searched internet, found threads like this, got FSM, ID'ed part, went to store, way too much $$ for me. Took it off, and aside from off-throttle response being more jerky, no difference. It just idles down quicker. When I have the spare change, it'll get one put on it. So no worries, pop it off, or leave it on. But it can be a spendy little bugger. Long story short, There's millions of these trucks, with millions of issues, and a good search and FSM will almost always help you out.

good posting!

Quick Reply: whats is this? 2nd Gen 4runner engine