Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is YotaTechs nicest 86-89 4Runner?? Post the best!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didnt even have a fresh wash or wax or the nerfs on it but here is the kayak hauler.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:37 PM

My junk cleaned up-
Name:  pic01.jpg
Views: 1779
Size:  94.8 KB
Name:  pic02.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  126.7 KB
Name:  pic03.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  95.0 KB
Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean, will, i like it alot. Whats with the 3rd brake light?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 PM

this is the best truck on yt. plus its for sale!!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
Do a search there is a link some where here for a guy who has a list of all decals ever used on any of the yota trucks from first gen pick up to tacoma and 4runners. I remember he said he had some stock on factory originals and was able to get others made if I remember right...
JAMES DEAN CREATIONS.com
Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 PM

I wish Toyota would hurry up and get on the ball and remake these early 4Runners (and re-remake the old Fjs) with removable tops! Bring back turbo. Slap on a supercharger. Add a functional hood scoop. Come factory lifted...with 33s stock. Give it the internal rollbar standard. Sell soft tops. Create a hard top like on the new Jeep Wranglers that one person can toss on and rip off. Kick in the latest thing--a lifetime powertrain warranty. And...return to making these Bad A## machines with the same (if not better) standards than those implemented when Toyotas were actually made outside the US. Then, give me a map and get out of my way.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ToysRus
I wish Toyota would hurry up and get on the ball and remake these early 4Runners (and re-remake the old Fjs) with removable tops! Bring back turbo. Slap on a supercharger. Add a functional hood scoop. Come factory lifted...with 33s stock. Give it the internal rollbar standard. Sell soft tops. Create a hard top like on the new Jeep Wranglers that one person can toss on and rip off. Kick in the latest thing--a lifetime powertrain warranty. And...return to making these Bad A## machines with the same (if not better) standards than those implemented when Toyotas were actually made outside the US. Then, give me a map and get out of my way.

Well this all sounds very reasonable, was that map to help you get back from fantasy land?.....I assume you wont pay more than $25,000 for one of these super trucks either?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:00 PM

LOL. Nice fantasy though!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Here's my 89... i rolled it a few weeks ago (someone hit my rear tire and it rolled) but it'll be up and running when i have a chance to fix it, for now it sits in teh garage (pushed in the a-pillar a few inches)
This is pre painting the bumper and adding lights...
Beautiful 4Runner, I want mine to look like that one day.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 PM

Definitly not the nicest, but mine

here's the 84 I just sold

here's my 85 project

Sorry I got some figuring out to do w/ the pix
Attached Thumbnails What is YotaTechs nicest 86-89 4Runner??  Post the best!!-pic3.gif   What is YotaTechs nicest 86-89 4Runner??  Post the best!!-phto0004.gif  
Old 11-21-2007, 05:47 AM

Clean, will, i like it alot. Whats with the 3rd brake light?
Greg-

I felt the stock taillights/brakelights provided fairly poor visibility by current day standards. I changed to aftermarket light housings first, that made a huge difference in visibility/output but it seemed fitting to install a 3rd brakelight as well.

I used a factory 3rd brakelight from a 93-95 4Runner. It's not a direct fit; it took a lot of contouring from a belt sander to get the housing to sit flush on the shell. I'm happy with how it turned out. It also blends in with modern vehicles; less of a reason to get pulled over for something stupid in my book
Old 11-21-2007, 06:14 AM

Thanks enertoronic,
and will, i dig the look of stock tails so i cant give them up. (i actually want a brand new set of OEM lenses if i can $$ it). I usually hate the lights you have but they fit on your truck, i've seen them on other trucks and they look terrible, yours is OK tho.
But i've been thinking of getting some super bright LED's i can use in the brake lights, to up the light output. I dont think a 3rd brake light would look very good on my truck however.
But how i made my paint scheme (paint everything blue top+ l-trim, shaved roof and cowl) most people think it's a newer truck and i dont get messed with by cops... lucky for me, i guess.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
But how i made my paint scheme (paint everything blue top+ l-trim, shaved roof and cowl) most people think it's a newer truck and i dont get messed with by cops... lucky for me, i guess.

By shaved do you mean the rain gutters?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 AM

Thanks enertoronic,
and will, i dig the look of stock tails so i cant give them up. (i actually want a brand new set of OEM lenses if i can $$ it). I usually hate the lights you have but they fit on your truck, i've seen them on other trucks and they look terrible, yours is OK tho.
But i've been thinking of getting some super bright LED's i can use in the brake lights, to up the light output. I dont think a 3rd brake light would look very good on my truck however.
Greg,
I'm kinda the same way on aftermarket lights. However, they're super cheap ($40 on ebay item #180181242397), and the output on these are awesome, especially the backup lights. That alone makes em' worthwhile to me.

Here's a better shot of the rear. Notice I also removed most of the badging (V6, SR5, stock 4Runner badging, etc) and replaced the rear window key switch with a power outlet. Going for the 'clean' look like you

Name:  pic04.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  78.7 KB
Old 11-21-2007, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by SKNKWRX
By shaved do you mean the rain gutters?
Nah i left those, theyre actually useful. I shaved the rear window wiper and "smoothed" the entire roof so it's flat and not speckly like stock. I thought about the rain gutters, but then i'd have to do the part above the doors as well and that'd be a b!tch. If i had a little 2wd 84-88 i would shave the gutters tho...

Originally Posted by Willcipher
Greg,
I'm kinda the same way on aftermarket lights. However, they're super cheap ($40 on ebay item #180181242397), and the output on these are awesome, especially the backup lights. That alone makes em' worthwhile to me.

Here's a better shot of the rear. Notice I also removed most of the badging (V6, SR5, stock 4Runner badging, etc) and replaced the rear window key switch with a power outlet. Going for the 'clean' look like you
How do you open the window? I def. need the key there.. but the outlet looks like a cool idea but i would never use it... i took off all my badging too except the stock 4runner one.. i liked it... but when i get a blower/turbo i wll def be putting a "turbo" or "supercharged" logo on the back, just a little small one, dont want to advertise too much.
The look of the tails just doesnt do it for me, i will probably install some reverse lights when i make my matching rear bumper and sliders...
Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 AM

How do you open the window? I def. need the key there.. but the outlet looks like a cool idea but i would never use it... i took off all my badging too except the stock 4runner one.. i liked it... but when i get a blower/turbo i wll def be putting a "turbo" or "supercharged" logo on the back, just a little small one, dont want to advertise too much.
The look of the tails just doesnt do it for me, i will probably install some reverse lights when i make my matching rear bumper and sliders...
My rear window is a one touch operation on my keyless remote up or down. (DEI 530T module remotely triggered) I also installed two weatherproof micro pushbuttons (one for up and one for down) flush to the outsides of the license plate lamps that are only enabled for 90 seconds after the alarm system is disarmed. You can only see them if you're looking for them. It works well and eliminates the cumbersome key switch.

Last edited by Willcipher; 11-21-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't have any pics of mine.....though, I wouldn't call it one of nicest anyway. It's almost always dirty/muddy, full of junk, and the rust and dents don't help with appearance....as far as "nice" goes. WTH, it's a work truck and I still get complements anyway.

BUT! I'm looking at some the things you all doing and would be interested to know how/what was done. Plus, I wanted to share a little mod I've done to the tailgate window operation. On 4crawler's cheaptricks page, he explains how to bypass the relay board in the sidewall behind the driver's seat. My relay board died a long time ago, so I put in a manual switch in the faceplate above the stereo unit. It's worked really well, but I still had to get in the cab just to operate the rear window for loading. Sooooo....recently I put in another switch....right under the TOYOTA emblem/light housing on the gate. It's not readily visible to anyone "lurking", but all they'd find usually is a few hundred pounds of dog and cat food. Still, I plan to put in a kill switch in the cab for those times I have to park in a questionable area.....which around here and where I normally travel is pretty negligable. Anyway, it's real convenient.

As far as my questions....
Will.....I can't see in the pic what kind of power outlet you installed in place of the key switch. Can you get a closer pic? Where did you get it and what all do you use it for? Also, I've seen that grill mod somewhere around here, but can't remember the thread. Would post a link, if you know of it?

Greg.....How did you "smooth" the surface of the hardtop, and what did you use to fill the hole in place of the rear wiper?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Will.....I can't see in the pic what kind of power outlet you installed in place of the key switch. Can you get a closer pic? Where did you get it and what all do you use it for? Also, I've seen that grill mod somewhere around here, but can't remember the thread. Would post a link, if you know of it?
Thook-

I used a Marinco weatherproof 12v outlet in place of the keyswitch-
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-236
It fits perfectly with a little work. I use it for 2 things.
First- I use it as an attachment point for my trickle charger when I don't get around to driving it for several weeks. this happens fairly often and I find that my battery gets depressed about it if I don't give it a little attention.

Second- I use it for camping; inflating a mattress, blinding friends with my 2 million candlepower spotlight, etc while leaving the gate up and window closed. Best of all, I can roll up my windows, lock my truck, and still run a wire to my tent to run my 12v fan (it only draws 1/2 amp and can run all night without discharging my battery)
Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by thook
I don't have any pics of mine.....though, I wouldn't call it one of nicest anyway. It's almost always dirty/muddy, full of junk, and the rust and dents don't help with appearance....as far as "nice" goes. WTH, it's a work truck and I still get complements anyway.

BUT! I'm looking at some the things you all doing and would be interested to know how/what was done. Plus, I wanted to share a little mod I've done to the tailgate window operation. On 4crawler's cheaptricks page, he explains how to bypass the relay board in the sidewall behind the driver's seat. My relay board died a long time ago, so I put in a manual switch in the faceplate above the stereo unit. It's worked really well, but I still had to get in the cab just to operate the rear window for loading. Sooooo....recently I put in another switch....right under the TOYOTA emblem/light housing on the gate. It's not readily visible to anyone "lurking", but all they'd find usually is a few hundred pounds of dog and cat food. Still, I plan to put in a kill switch in the cab for those times I have to park in a questionable area.....which around here and where I normally travel is pretty negligable. Anyway, it's real convenient.

As far as my questions....

Greg.....How did you "smooth" the surface of the hardtop, and what did you use to fill the hole in place of the rear wiper?
Just with a d/a sander, go until it's smooth, that's all. the top part isnt perfect, it's wavy cause it's fiberglass but unless you're 7 feet tall you wont see it. Body filler was used to fill in the holes.
Now that i look at it, i think a single or double row of led's, would look TRICK if i cut out a slot to mount it in, where teh wiper used to be.... hrm now i gotta research this.. thanks! (semi sarcastic, heh)

will,

How much did you pay for the DEI alarm set up? sounds interesting. I need one bad, and i want to put a prox in for when i have my softtop on... you have that as well?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:07 AM

will,

How much did you pay for the DEI alarm set up? sounds interesting. I need one bad, and i want to put a prox in for when i have my softtop on... you have that as well?
Greg,

The DEI 530T is a standalone window controller ($40-$50 on Ebay). It can be used alone for one touch window operation or tied into an alarm system for full remote automation of windows. It's capable of operating 2 windows. I have 2 of them, one for the rear window and one for the front windows. I've got it set up to roll up all my windows when I arm my alarm. My rear window goes down automatically with one touch of the 'trunk release' button on my alarm remote. My alarm is a really ancient Hawk(circa 95', no longer made) but it works great.. It's full featured with auto-start, keyless entry, etc.. I bought a new one to replace it since my remote is so worn out and I wanted the bling LCD 2 way but I haven't installed it yet. I got the Scytek Galaxy 5000RS. It's full featured with a 2 way LCD/pager and it was like $130 on Ebay. I have a similar unit on my Camry, the Scytek Astra 400 IIRC and it was only $70 and works awesome. I can remote start my Camry from my desk at work, through brick and glass, car parked 800 feet away. I've installed a number of DEI and Scytek products and would not hesitate to put them up against higher priced, bigger brand systems. Any decent alarm system can be used to automate power windows- the trick is having a good, knowledgeable installer put it in.

Will

Quick Reply: What is YotaTechs nicest 86-89 4Runner?? Post the best!!