Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is YotaTechs nicest 86-89 4Runner?? Post the best!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think its nice

Old 07-12-2007, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My blue truck and CJM's red truck both have fiberglass rear fenders. I have the stock style he has the 3" flare (actually it's not hit truck, but he builds the fenders).
www.toyotafiberglass.com
Old 07-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcrunner
I wonder if you can still get the original side stickers/decals for the 1st Gens?
Do a search there is a link some where here for a guy who has a list of all decals ever used on any of the yota trucks from first gen pick up to tacoma and 4runners. I remember he said he had some stock on factory originals and was able to get others made if I remember right...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by kcrunner
Check out the red 4runner in the paint booth on page 1 of this thread.
Didn't he design a tub and fenders made from fiberglass?

Seeing the above stock 4Runner makes me want to start a company that builds new 1st Gens with updated drive trains, kind of like the company out in California that is making new FJ40's.
I Thought about that before, and make them with Turbo Diesels and supercharged Hybrids for killer gas and power
Old 07-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by fork
i think its nice

Not much of a truck without a front drive shaft. But seriously I think that is bad ass!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Oh yeah, the 1/4r's are great, i should take some pics for you. They have a few scratches from being dragged across the ground as it was flipped back over, but otherwise they are mint. Cant be said for the metal frame underneath tho! It's bent in 1/2", (the bottom half of it) it came unstuck from the glue! I have to reglue and bend them back out, and the side i got hit, there is a small fracture up by the top mounting bolt but other than that it's fine. the 1/4r's rock!

Greg ... YES I would love to see the carnage pics .. sometime it's VERY difficult to tell people that the fiber 1/4's will wayyy out last any steel ones ..

well not so difficult in telling them .. its trying to "convince" them that your not bull ▓▓▓▓▓t!ng them and having them believe me .. most people are still in the 60's about fiberglass.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kaleb
Not much of a truck without a front drive shaft. But seriously I think that is bad ass!
yea ive been trying to get a square shaft built but everyone is trying to rip me off. the last guy quoted me $190, which is $10 short of the quote i got on a nice balanced shaft. every time i even talk to people about building me a square shaft they give me the bs line "are you sure you don't want to just lengthen and balance the shaft you have?"
Old 07-12-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fork
yea ive been trying to get a square shaft built but everyone is trying to rip me off. the last guy quoted me $190, which is $10 short of the quote i got on a nice balanced shaft. every time i even talk to people about building me a square shaft they give me the bs line "are you sure you don't want to just lengthen and balance the shaft you have?"
Why do you want a square shaft? good luck getting out of 2nd gear in 4 low nevermind 4 hi..
Old 07-12-2007, 06:22 PM

off topic

I know im off topic but if your looking for 1st gen stripes try jamesdeancreations.com. I just ordered a set for my runner!!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Why do you want a square shaft? good luck getting out of 2nd gear in 4 low nevermind 4 hi..
it's all about crawling here. we got a few rocks.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:37 AM

Heres one of my 84 after new metal and paint. This picture was in an issue of Wired magazine.

Name:  4Runner1.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  37.7 KB

And heres a bit more recent one:

Name:  Picture028b.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  55.2 KB

I dont have any pictures taken yet since painting rustoleum Safety Red or making a set of half doors, but I hope to post those soon....
Old 07-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Is it just me or did that paint really oxidize fast? how long between the two photos?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
Is it just me or did that paint really oxidize fast? how long between the two photos?
It's probably all the light reflecting the white of the snow.....plus some dirt.

Originally Posted by 4Rocker

And heres a bit more recent one:

I dont have any pictures taken yet since painting rustoleum Safety Red or making a set of half doors, but I hope to post those soon....
Are those tires in the pic actually 31's or are they 33'sx9.50? They kinda look like the 33's to me.

I like how your rig looks, especially with the bumper. Old school, like.

I'd like to see those pics of the Safety Red paint. That's the paint I've been considering going with on my '86. I thought it looks pretty close to the stock paint.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 AM

The paint was an Omni single stage red that my dad and I sprayed in 03. It had faded some but I think the color in the pic is mostly from being dirty.

The tires are BFG 31x10.5s and they fit great on the stock suspension. I made the bumper myself, trying to copy the ARB style. The safety red looks awesome! It is a very bright red. I still havent gotten around to painting the tailgate but when I do I will post up pics and a writeup with my methods and observations with rolling on the paint.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

The paint was an Omni single stage red that my dad and I sprayed in 03. It had faded some
hit it with some hand glaze 3m or malco plumb crazy (smells like plumbs, good stuff) and it will look just like you sprayed it again..

here is our black one after i painted it

granted it doesn't look this good anymore, paint did not hold up well..
Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

The paint was an Omni single stage red that my dad and I sprayed in 03. It had faded some but I think the color in the pic is mostly from being dirty.

The tires are BFG 31x10.5s and they fit great on the stock suspension. I made the bumper myself, trying to copy the ARB style. The safety red looks awesome! It is a very bright red. I still havent gotten around to painting the tailgate but when I do I will post up pics and a writeup with my methods and observations with rolling on the paint.
Good job on the bumper it looks very good... I would have bought that it was an ARB...
Old 07-13-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You did a fine job on the bumper, then. Would you mind posting some close ups? I'd like to see how you made it.

Interesting....your 31's don't extend out very far past the fender. Atleast, it appears that way. When I had some on mine (albeit very briefly), they extended I want to say about 1/2". Plus, yours seem to fill the wheel well up a bit more. So, that's why I ask if they were 33's. Might have to do with the backspacing, though. Are those 6" rims?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:43 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by mean green; 07-16-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 PM

I think i started a thread awhile back detailing the build of the bumper...I will have to try and find it later. The bumper bolts to where the tow hooks used to be and has pulled out full size trucks from some VERY stuck situations (ie frame buried in mud). The wheels are the stock 84 wheels. Im not sure the size but I have seen them stock on some early 80s land cruisers as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
soooo delightfully stock ... 1985

Quick Reply: What is YotaTechs nicest 86-89 4Runner?? Post the best!!