86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What to weld first? Newbie welder

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to weld first? Newbie welder

Hey all, i知 getting an Eastwood 135 mig welder. I知 going to box off the rear of the frame with some square tubing and put some gussets from trail gear. I need to replace the gas tank holding cross member due to rot. I need to replace some sections of the floor and the rocker panels. If the junkyard doesn稚 have any Yotas with good rockers, I am going to get them online or maybe attempt to make them myself. Also, I need to weld on some new shock tabs on top of the rear axle. I致e done a little bit of welding years ago when I worked at a muffler shop. I am going to practice some first. And I will tack something across the frame to insure that it does not move on me. What to start with first? What is the easiest/hardest thing to weld?
Old 04-29-2018, 12:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

First my condolences on your Welder purchase . We all need to work with what we can afford.

Is the truck going to be on a lift or just on jack stands??

I would really practice your out of position welding. The more uncomfortable you are the more your welds suffer which means those are the hardest to get good welds

Not knowing where the truck lives no idea how much prep work you have in your future .

Your building a hard core Rock bouncing truck or Race truck??

Since this is new to you kinda a Fire watcher that pays attention is a real good idea with the means to put out a fire.

Scary How fast a garage and house can become a 3 alarm fire I got reminded of starting that fire till Mom died every time I saw Her.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:13 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Lots of practice on both!

Like Wyo says fire safety is paramount. My kiddo welds for a living 8 hours + per day under a helmet, sets himself on fire atleast twice a week..

It's apples and oranges..

The sheet metal is thin and easy to blow through. You'll want to practice this, tweak the welder settings and I recommend a aluminum plate behind it.

The frame is heavy guage, you might run into penetration issues. It is also going to be out of place (upside down) welding, lots of fire risk there and uncomfortable. Again a separate practice session and setting required..

Difficulty ?, well the sheets going to be a pita but it's not structural, the structural stuff will be nerve wracking.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
THe hardest thing to weld is stuff with paint (and other contamination) on it ....especially the factory black paint. The next hardest thing is stuff that is upside down.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:05 AM

I’m in Pennsylvania, truck will be on jackstands in my driveway. For now it’s in the open but I plan on getting a car port sooner or later. I already have the sky shock relocation bar on there but since I fixed the angle of the rear pumpkin the old shock tabs are just slightly off. Thank you for reminding me about the fire extinguisher. Bumping that up to the top of the list. I think I’m gonna try to find one that I can fill up with water and pressurize with air Do I need to bump my welder purchase up to the 175 to be able to weld the frame stuff? Or just practice? Lots of prep work to be done. I’m going to get it as clean as I can before I weld the truck. Going to get multiple grinding wheels cutoff wheels and wire wheels for my Milwaukee 4 1/2 grinder. Also I have a little pneumatic die grinder. It is a project so really no rush. It will be my daily driver. I just want to be able to bomb over potholes and take it wheeling on the weekends. The very back of the frame is all bent up due to hooking tow straps to it years ago. So it’s kinda flimsy, and rusty. That’s the only real reason I want to box it off. I’m gonna be on the lookout for free couch cushions or something to lay on/lean against while I’m welding the upside down stuff.. or is that a bad idea due to fire hazard? Maybe couch cushion then some rubber roofing material over the cushions lol. Just for comfort so I can be “in the zone” Thanks Guys
Old 04-29-2018, 09:08 AM

i was planning on getting .030 flux core wire to weld the frame stuff. Along with the correct tip and the correct knurled drive roller (key way style)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:16 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
get yourself a grinder with some flapper discs and a bucket of scrap steel
clean off the rust from the scrap with the grinder and practice
Old 04-29-2018, 09:46 AM

Oh yeah! I forgot about those wheels! Thanks dropzone
Old 04-29-2018, 10:11 AM

I my limited experience with "out of position" it's more about range of motion being limited than it is "oh I'm laying on a rock" not that that wouldn't be an issue also.. Then there is gravity wanting everything to fall on you.

You could use the cusion, I imagine, but be aware it's gonna catch lots of molten bits and needs covered well.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:47 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
I
You could use the cusion, I imagine, but be aware it's gonna catch lots of molten bits and needs covered well.
Good point, that sucker is gonna catch fire if you aren't careful.
Pick up a welding blanket on amazon or some where to cover it and still have an extinguisher handy - (should have that no matter what when welding)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:11 PM

Red face

Just Where in Pa ??

I use .023 hard wire to weld everything on Toyota 4x4`s

I had a bad experience with self shielded wire long ago and never use it .

People say in the last 30 years it might have improved .

Do yourself a favor get a few more 4 1/2 grinders or you will spend all your time changing discs .

If they don`t feel comfortable in my hand I don`t use them.

Nice to reach for a grinder with a flap disc or a Dog Cutter or grinding disc instead of changing all the time extends the grinder life as well

Get some of the rust remover discs get the rust and dirt off but very little metal

Out of position is not being able to see and working with your arms above you which get tired quick
Old 04-29-2018, 01:45 PM

Plymouth PA. Good idea about having multiple grinders for different wheels. I have a corded craftsman and a corded Makita somewhere. I love my Milwaukee fuel with the paddle. So, don’t bother with the flux core? cause that will save me $40. And I probably shouldn’t have even mentioned the couch cushions. The likelihood of me actually doing that is pretty slim lol. I do all kinds of construction, mostly roofing. Maybe my experience with soffit and ceiling type work will help me out with the up side down stuff ��

so, if I practice and get good enough, a 135 Eastwood will penatrate enough to get good mig welds on the frame?
Old 04-29-2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Drewandhis89Yota

so, if I practice and get good enough, a 135 Eastwood will penatrate enough to get good mig welds on the frame?
To many variables.. You can weld just about anything with low current, given enough time, preparation, and wire..

the test "coupons" will tell you how it's going to turn out and wether you are spending enough "dwell time" in a particular setting, or if you'll need to bevel some dwell more or adjust the power and feed rates..
Old 04-29-2018, 05:00 PM

Thanks Co, I don’t know those terms which tells me I need to do some reading while I’m waiting for my welder to arrive.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Don't weld anywhere near a fuel line. Seriously you will burn your rig down. If your welding near the tank consider pulling it. Gas vapor is about the only thing on your rig thats more dangerous than liquid gas.

Practice practice practice. I have been practicing with my tombstone for a while. Finally found an electrode I like. Now I need to get the arc consistent. Then I will consider welding on my rig.

Watch a lot of YouTube videos and techniques then go try one. Go back and watch the video if you still need help and try again.

Also make sure you have good eye pro on while using the death wheel. Those cutting wheels hurt when they come apart. Cant even imagine how bad it would have hurt if it hit me in the face.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:18 AM

Red face

Your only about a Hour away !

I getup that way from time to time

Down Route 11 to the Almost finished Gas Fired Power plant.

Going Flux core is up to you So many people forget to change polarity going back and forth between Self Shielded and Hard wire

Off to work !!
Old 04-30-2018, 06:24 AM

Gas tank is coming back out for sure! Oh ya, many times a wheel has blown apart and hit me in the face/eye area. I thought: wow, if I wasn’t wearing these safety glasses, I’d be on the way to the hospital right now.. one time I was using one of those big concrete saws with an old brittle metal cutting wheel with no glasses and I got a small piece of metal stuck right in the center of my eye. I couldn’t tell where it was cause it was right in the middle of my pupil. I wear safety glasses basically all the time now. I think I have a full on face shield somewhere, good call fish guy.

I’m just gonna practice with solid and see how I do for a while. Small world wyoming

Old 04-30-2018, 11:50 PM

Red face

If you ever get down to the Lehigh Valley on the weekends

I would gladly give you some welding lessons.

If your having grinding wheels and cutting wheels explode your either doing things wrong or using really cheap wheels .
Old 05-03-2018, 11:18 AM

Hey i just might take you up on that, depending on how bad my welds are lol. Ya that was a long time ago when i blew some wheels apart. The one where it got stuck in my eye was an old brittle wheel that we shouldn稚 have been using in the first place. Cheap construction boss buying dusty old wheels. Going to order my welder friday.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:24 AM

Exclamation

Nice How the people going cheap seem to never to use the products they buy.

If your interested shoot me a PM that way I will see it.

Best of luck !!

Quick Reply: What to weld first? Newbie welder