86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What size/style u-bolts for my 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size/style u-bolts for my 4runner

Well, I am in the process of taking care of the sag that my 4runner has been plagued with so I am going with the Rancho aal from summit. It seems everybody is recommending the Rancho. I just want to get my rear back to stock height. I am going with this one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=1#Application

My question is: What size do I need to go for on the u-bolts? I plan on getting them from autozone, advanced auto, or o-reily's unless someone has a better suggestion of where to get them. I know I need about 3 inches longer than stock but what diameter, length, width, style, etc...? Thanks for the help and sorry for the newbie questions. I know it is not a perfect U like this but what do they call that style? Thanks!!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:10 PM

anybody????
Old 10-10-2006, 08:45 PM

When I did my AALs my U-bolts were just long enough to use without the washers. I have heard that some trucks had long enough bolts to use the washers too, so you may have to check that when you do them. If the washers will fit and the nuts go on far enough (at least a thread or 2 below the nut) then just go with the stockers.

If you have to get longer ones, I had no luck finding U-bolts to fit. Nobody had metric ones and the SAE ones were too wide to fit through the shock mount, bottom plate. If you have a spring or suspension shop close by that makes their one components then they can make you some or I had a 4wd shop say that they could measure what I needed and order them.

Since I offroad I decided to go ahead and get a U-bolt flip kit that gets rid of the lower plate and has the bolts go up so they don't catch on stuff as much. With this option though you have to weld new shock mounts to the axle tube and weld the stock bump stop to the new plate. This may be more than you want to do if you don't wheel much, but I figured I would tell you the options. I ordered th All Pro Off Road kit and I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how the install goes (hopefully before the weekend).

Hope this helps man!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:59 AM

Thanks for your help man, I appreciate it. So basically I am screwed??!! My mechainc doing the AAL told me to get longer u-bolts because it would be better. Those u-bolts have been together for 19 years so I am afraid about rust issues and all that kind of stuff.

How much lift did the pc aal give you?

all these people who have add-a-leafs??? What did you all do???
Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong, if the bolts have any rust or you don't trust them in any way then by all means replace them. If you leave the overload spring in the pack (and you should) then you will most likely need the longer ones. Check the phone book or ask around for suspension places. It has to be someone who knows what they are doing though. We have a place called Thurston Spring here in Richmond and they can do anything with springs and components. There's probably something like that down where you are.

My bolts came in today and like I said I will hopefully have them on by the weekend (the kit is pretty impressive looking).

The PC AALs gave me almost 3" at first and settled to about 2" after a few weeks (I've had them for about 3.5 months and have put about 3500 miles on them). I like them alot. They really saved my springs (and it really handles alot better with them too).

Best of luck man. If I hear of anywhere to get those bolts I will let you know.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by amgraham
Oh, don't get me wrong, if the bolts have any rust or you don't trust them in any way then by all means replace them. If you leave the overload spring in the pack (and you should) then you will most likely need the longer ones. Check the phone book or ask around for suspension places. It has to be someone who knows what they are doing though. We have a place called Thurston Spring here in Richmond and they can do anything with springs and components. There's probably something like that down where you are.

My bolts came in today and like I said I will hopefully have them on by the weekend (the kit is pretty impressive looking).

The PC AALs gave me almost 3" at first and settled to about 2" after a few weeks (I've had them for about 3.5 months and have put about 3500 miles on them). I like them alot. They really saved my springs (and it really handles alot better with them too).

Best of luck man. If I hear of anywhere to get those bolts I will let you know.
well, i checked ranchos site and got the part numbers for the aal's and u-bolt's. i couldn't find out how to order from their site so i looked up vendors and waaalaaa. NAPA auto parts, 4 miles from my house, where my father in law works, was able to order them for me. gotta love that and the discounts!! thanks for the help and I wll post pics soon!! I was wanting to get done with a lot of little stuff before I posted some pics of the money pit!! lol
Old 10-13-2006, 06:19 AM

Nice man. When I went to my Napa they looked at me like I was retarded and said that they couldn't get any for a Toyota. Good job on the research! I did my U-bolts last night and they look good. I will probably make a new post with pics about it today or Sunday.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:29 AM

Nice man. When I went to my Napa they looked at me like I was retarded and said that they couldn't get any for a Toyota. Good job on the research! I did my U-bolts last night and they look good. I will probably make a new post with pics about it today or Sunday.
yeah, i would definitely like to see some pics. i am going to post some when i get done with a few more mods. it seems like this is a never ending project.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by whitetaco02
yeah, i would definitely like to see some pics. i am going to post some when i get done with a few more mods. it seems like this is a never ending project.
They all are . I don't see mine being "done" for several years.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:13 AM

They all are . I don't see mine being "done" for several years.
me neither: add a leafs, auxillary back up lights for rear hitch, rebuilt motor and trans, possible sas way way way in the future, regear, etc., etc., etc., lol