86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is this part?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this part?

Acquired a beautiful 95 4runner V6 3.0. 4x4. Have a buddy who's been working on it for a while, as it sat for 6 years while the owner was deployed in Germany. Most of the grunt work is finished now. Running ok. Just trying to get the vacuum lines all back where they need to be and to address a few melted parts. Yes, melted. Don't ask. Two parts at the rear of the intake melted up. One is the TVV (or what some call the BVSV), but I don't know what the other is. I've included 2 pics. One is my 4runner with melted parts labeled. Other is a pic with the parts in good condition. Anybody help?

What is that part on the right?
I think this is it on the right? What is it?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
The "gold" part in the second photo is a plastic cap on the Fuel Pressure Damper. Inside is a rubber diaphragm which, after 20 years or so can leak. Which would explain why the part is burned.

You'll need to replace it. I'm pretty sure you'll need to remove part of fuel rail to get at it; be sure to get replacement "crush washers" for each one you remove. They cant be reused (don't believe anyone who says they can).
Old 11-27-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Oops Scope beat my to it!!!

That is the cap on the end of the fuel damper. Once removed many have found a loose screw which goes into the damper, just falls out over time.
No place i know of where you could buy it separately from the fuel damper itself. Junkyard takeoff possibly.

cheers
Old 11-27-2017, 02:27 PM

Just so you know, the screw has nothing to do with leaking. You can unscrew it and throw it away, and it won't change how the damper works. So why is it there? It's a fuel pressure (yes/no) indicator. It's flush with pressure off, sticks out a little with pressure on.

Once it leaks, the diaphragm inside is toast. Don't waste time with a junkyard unit that is ALSO 20 years old. This is fuel we're talking about.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:12 PM

Thanks!

Fantastic! Really appreciate the feedback fellas. Any chance these can be replaced without taking of the top of the intake?
Old 11-27-2017, 04:15 PM

Is the cap necessary?

I know, I know...they put it there for a reason, but if I remove the melted cap and there is no leak, then do I still need to replace it?

The melting occurred due to a mouse chewing through a fuel line while the 4runner was sitting for a while. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got to mine without removing anything. If I can recall I think I took a cheap Pittsburgh hand wrench and angled it by using a blow torch. Sure, it wastes a wrench but they are cheap and it worked.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:48 AM

So far as I know, the cap isn't NECESSARY. Remember that you can more easily (and more safely) check for fuel system leaks by running the fuel pump by connecting FP to B+ in the diag connector. With key-on (engine off) this forces the pump to run.

89fourrunner is much more agile than am I. Removing the upper intake manifold (usually called the plenum) is tricky the first time, but after that it probably takes less time than it would to find my torch. Draw yourself a diagram of all the vacuum lines before you start pulling them off; you don't want to be one of those posting to ask where they all go.

And tell us how it turned out.