Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What header should I get for my 22RE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What header should I get for my 22RE?

I haven't started a thread in a while but being that it's tax season I'm thinking about getting some headers for my 22RE. I'm running 235/75/15 AT's with a camper shell and it does better than other 22RE's I've had but I'd love to get some more power. I see a lot of you have had luck with LCE. Any other suggestions that are just as good if not cheaper?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LCE. Really. I went round and round about saving some money on a header and finally decided on the Street Header from LCE. Damn well built, heavy, great welds and it looks drop dead sexy when the hood is open. The sound of the 22re did change a little, more of a "rumble of barely suppressed fury", but I like the sound. On the trails I can now "blip" the throttle and get an instant response and I like that kind of control. Before it was a "press and pray" trying to climb.

All said and done I'd advise that header to anyone wanting to do a mild upgrade.

Now all I need is the 88 Supra 60mm throttle body and I'll be freaking golden.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:45 PM

get the LCE I ran it too on my 88
Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM

Nice, I could use a "rumble of barely suppressed fury" on my truck, I can feel that it has the potential to do a little more but it's just restricted by the stock exhaust, that's what I think anyways.

Did you notice any difference in street driving? Like first, second, third from a stop light for example? Cuz, that's where mine lags, once it's up to speed it does pretty well.

Last edited by pruney81; 02-09-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it has been said that the stock manifold works perfectly fine for daily driving....with that being said i run a Header on my 22R and i love it LOL

it's old, and brown..no rust though, and it doesnt leak except around the collector
Old 02-09-2010, 04:56 PM

I've always been conservative when it comes to vehicles but this is my third 22RE and it runs the best out of all of them so I want to see what it can do with a little help.
My exhaust was leaking when I got it and just fixing the leaky exhaust helped tremendously so I'm thinking a header would be money.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I know BLEEDER has Pacesetter and besides the original crap finish I have not heard anything.

OBX is a name I see every now and then.

I want get my stuff back together 1st, but a header is a easy upgrade i want to do, so I am watching what everyone says.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:58 PM

im prolly gonna try an OBX header, but i wanna know if they celica long tube version will work that thing looks awesome
Old 02-09-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by pruney81
Nice, I could use a "rumble of barely suppressed fury" on my truck, I can feel that it has the potential to do a little more but it's just restricted by the stock exhaust, that's what I think anyways.

Did you notice any difference in street driving? Like first, second, third from a stop light for example? Cuz, that's where mine lags, once it's up to speed it does pretty well.
Well I've done a couple of upgrades to mine. With that in mind the increase in control on the street with the LCE was noticeable instantly. I tend to shift up around 3200prm and with the header installed I could get there a lot faster if I needed to for passing or something similar. Say for instance you're coming up on a choke point and need to merge in a hurry (construction, road work, wreck, whatever) before I'd have to down shift and stand on it and now I can ease into the skinny pedal and make my move. The header made the engine more responsive to driver controlled inputs. That and when I have to stand in it the intake roars and the header just rumbles the truck and begs for more air to move.

In a situation where you're coming up to a red light and you drop the rig into neutral there is an angry *GRRRRRRRRRRRRR* when the rpm's drop, you can feel it in the pedals and floor boards. I freaking love it.

edit: I don't do these mods for "street cred" or some "neat sound" I do these mods so that I can feel and anticipate what the engine, and the rig, do when I push a pedal or grab a gear. For me it's all about knowing what the rig will do with a given input from me. I like control in a vehicle.

Last edited by Junkers88; 02-09-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM

I've seen the OBX headers on Ebay and I've heard mixed reviews about Pacesetter that's why I was looking to find a good solid unit that would last. The LCE Street Header is 368.00 I believe which seems worth it to me for a quality product. Unless someone who has had good luck with OBX can chime in as they are a fraction of the cost of LCE or Pacesetter for that matter.I'm just glad I have a 22RE and not a 3VZE.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I know I saw a thread on here about OBX
Old 02-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Junkers, as far as fitment, pipe diameter, and any other elements of your LCE conversion would you reccommend?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:07 PM

Junkers, as far as fitment, pipe diameter, and any other elements of your LCE conversion would you reccommend?
Nothing that I can think of other than I could have used a straight pipe instead of the bent one that came for the connection to the CAT.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Are the headers 2.25 piping"? I'm thinking I'll just run those with a magnaflow cat and have a local shop weld it all up. I know a local guy who does excellent work.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
I cut both ends of that connector pipe so the bend is right above the crossmember. The header is good. I did weld up the slip joints though. The connector pipe didn't leak, but a slip joint in the exhaust did, so I sealed them all up in one shot.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 PM

I'm hoping to get the LCE street jobs within a month or so, I'll definitely post plenty of pics(I owe you guys) My 22RE only has 102K miles so I'm hoping these will open it up. **Note It's on the original timing components**
Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
haven't read through the rest of the posts, but I know everyone's going to tell you so stay away from PaceSetter because "it's cheap"

for me, the price was right, and I've used PaceSetter header's on SB Chevy's before and had no complaints, so I figured I'd give them a shot with this 22re

Got it in, and it's pretty good quality built, at least I think so

installed it, ran it for about 5 minutes, and the black coating just flaked right off, which at the time I really didn't care about; my engine bay was a mess to begin with, and the MAIN reason for the header was to get rid of my leak-prone stock manifold and leaking down pipe

but during my recent engine rebuild, I completely stripped and repainted it, and it looks better than new now

I'm not going to say buy it, because there definately IS better brands out there; this IS after all the cheapest header you can possibly buy for the 22re, lol. But in my opinion, for the price, it's a hell of a deal, especially if you don't care for looks like I didn't at the time, lol. If you do care about the looks, just strip it and repaint it before you ever put it on.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-09-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 PM

I'm hoping to get the LCE street jobs within a month or so, I'll definitely post plenty of pics(I owe you guys) My 22RE only has 102K miles so I'm hoping these will open it up. **Note It's on the original timing components**
102K???? Jesus I'm sitting on 226K (original timing parts, I should probably change those) so I think you'll get some good returns on that brand new engine with a brand new header.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder

Ricer......

Just kidding, nice engine bro.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Ricer......

Just kidding, nice engine bro.
lol, no rice would be putting a cone filter and no muffler, and affixing a gimungous wing to the back, and maybe some neons under it the only reason for the paint is because I HATE taring things apart and putting them back together looking the same personally, I don't get the feeling that I've accomplished anything if I put it back together looking "too stock"... that's why my hubs are repainted too

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-09-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: What header should I get for my 22RE?