Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What exactly is the towing package for our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly is the towing package for our trucks?

I have an 89, according to my manual the towing package allows for more towing weight for Auto Trannies. What to add to get the same features to equate a towing package? Anyone have it that can shed light on this?

1. I assume and will add a big tranny cooler.
2. a real hitch? not bumper. (have class V) already.
3. How the heck do you wire for electric trailer brakes? ( I have a controller already.)
4. wire for trailer lights (duh)

What else would it take to get the truck to have aa towing package?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM

A Class V trailer hitch is for a 10,000 lb trailer, a little much for a 22RE. What are you towing? Most times a tow package is upgraded radiator, added transmission cooler, and possibly upgraded brakes.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

time for a bub rubb special....

what glenn said...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:36 PM

bub rubb? no idea.
I know my hitch is way over rated, but I have one from a previous truck I owned that could use it. I am planning to pull a 2,000 lb max travel trailer, I just want to get my truck up to par while I look for the trailer.
Did the Trucks come with better brakes than normal? Why are so many people looking for braking upgrades, but not factory upgraded?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An automatic 4x4 22RE extracab towing 2000 pounds? WOW. YOu got your work cut out for you in all honesty. I wouldn't want to tow more than 1000 pounds with that set up unless I had some serious mods....just being honest.

There are stock brakes you could probably upgrade to as long as you have 15" rims. You can upgrade your front rotors, calipers, and pads to the SR5 brakes from 89-95 P/U's or 4runners. They were slightly more heavy duty and will make a difference. Check to make sure they will work with yoru master cylinder, etc.

Maybe not an "upgrade" but some things to consider if you'll be towing that much with what you have - consider switching your engine oil over to synthetic oil and switching your front & rear diffs, transfer case, and tranny over to synthetic fluids. They will run cooler and protect better and give you a slight but probably not noticeable performance increase as well as better gas mileage. Make sure your cooling system is in absolute rock solid shape. How is your thermostat, water pump, rad, rad hoses, etc. etc. ?

Last edited by CoedNaked; 08-07-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 PM

Hi, thanks
I am already using synth or blend diff fluids. I need to change my auto tranny fluid and will go with synth if available.
When I got the truck I changed out the Tstat (OEM), and all the radiator, coolant hoses.
Tte radiator seems fine and I have flushed it back and forth with new fluid but I am considering a 3 stage radiator.

I plan to test my truck pulling a similar trailer before I buy one. I am more worried about the wind resistance than the weight. I have hauled 1500 pounds and not had any problems unless you call going slow a problem. Not a race car, and we are planning on going slow, cause its vacation!

Regardless of what I buy, I will install brakes on the trailer because I don't want to try to stop a trailer going down a long hill without, probably electric, as I already have the controller.

My manual shows 2000 being max towing without the towing package, and 3500 with the package. I need to try pulling with it to see how cracked up the manual writers were.

Last edited by trythis; 08-07-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:49 AM

This might be a dumb question, but did the sr5's ever have the option of a towing package from the factory? Tim
Old 08-08-2006, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm towing w/ a 4cyl sounds a little sketch. wat is it that your towing that is 2000 lbs? i think a 22re might be made for a 500lb sailboat lol.

well my 94 3.slow sr5 might have a towing package. i've got a hitch that looks completely stock and trailer light plug that's also stock. not so sure bout the other stuff like brakes and what not, but it's def got a good cooling system and a tranny cooler.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:00 PM

Hey easy on the 4 bangers!
I used to ahve a big V8 GMC, I know what having loads of power is like and it is fun racing with a 6,000 pound load.
I am planning to tow a travel trailer, when I get one.
I have hauled some weight around, and the 4 banger does OK. Its nothing compared to the old (it was a 2002) GMC V8, but it gets around fine. It sounds like it is unhappy, but its a just a glorified forklift engine, so I am not worried about it doing some work for a couple of weeks.

Tdubbs05, you wanna take a picture of your hitch, and light hook up? I would like to see a factory version and how it is bolted to the frame vs my aftermarket.

No sweat if you don't.

I am kinda hoping someone has the old window sticker from a factriy towing package unit.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

For towing I got the Cummins Turbo Diesel option for my truck . . .. oops that would be the other truck.

Seriously though, I've towed a ski boat and a small sailboat with my truck without any problems . . . . although I never did long distances or mountains.

I didn't even know that there was a tow package option for our trucks. Was there?

[Edit: When it came time to tow the Yota the Cummins sure did the trick! ]

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 08-09-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

you can tow with a 22r-e ??
Old 08-08-2006, 08:48 PM

I towed something way over the limit once with my 92 4Runner (dumb!) and I was way more worried about getting the thing to stop than get going.

Slow sucks but is safe, runaway 4Runner would bite.

Lamm
Old 08-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

the guy i bought my truck from had a tow hitch put on, and weld to the frame, haha kinda cool. but he said he only towed a super light sailboat catamaran thing. regardless, i do not think i would ever try to tow anything.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

If you want to drag that much weight you definitely want trailer brakes. There are several systems to choose from. One option would be 'surge' brakes most travel trailers in europe seem to have this system it is mechanical not electrical and very reliable. How it works is the coupler part of the hitch is movable when you apply the brakes on the tow vehicle the trailer 'surges' forward [not really that dramatic unless a panic stop] and actuates a mechanical linkage that applys the trailer brakes [sort of like the e-brake on the truck w/out the locking feature] when you pull away the hitch slides forward and the linkage disengages with a sort of spring release feature. This works quite well but hard stop and go driving will be noticable in the cab. These systems usually also have a manual brake handle on the tongue so you can set the trailer brakes when you park it. These are also generally the cheapest sytems.

Then there are a variety of electrical systems the low tech ones are connected to the brake lights when you step on the brakes they energize and the trailer mounted system applys the brakes. These might not require any special connections to the tow vehicle.

Then there are the systems with seperate in cab mounted actuators. these are more complex and require fancy 6-7 pin trailer plugs and so forth. These are also usually the most expensive.

For my money I'd probably go with option one, simple no fuss no muss. You also might want to put an add-a-leaf kit or helper airbags to keep the load level and controllable.
Hope this helps Aviator
Old 08-09-2006, 08:02 PM

I already have the electric, in cab adjustable controller, and will put brakes on whatever I get, regardless of weight. Not interested in trying to stop a trailer with such a lightweight truck.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:05 PM

My friend 1993 toyota pickup 22RE with the 4x4 powertrain has towed a boat and that included us 3 in the truck and it towed without any certain problem while towing it so it wound'nt be any concern towing over the 2,000 capacity lbs. I believe the boat weight more than 2,000 lbs. and yet we were giong on hills to hills road condition, and about two hours drive to the lake. His is an manuel transmission which is the 5 speed.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:24 PM

Toyota made motorhomes with the 4cyl motor, so I think it will tow ok, just slow.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 AM

i really wonder if there was even a so called "towing package." I haven't looked at my 3.0 w/ a hitch compared to a 3.0 w/o a hitch but i'd like to see if there's any differences. I'll try to take a pic when i get home tonight and post it. (if i don't have it up by tomorrow pm me and i'll remember) well good thing you got trailer brakes b/c i'd be prettys scared to be relying on my runners brakes. (no abs in the font could get a little scary!)

last week i went during my lunch to check out some real towing trucks( diesel f250 and a dodge 2500) ok for big diesels, dodge definitely wins with their cummins, but their tranny's are horrible. i was reading up on em and ppl find them to go out really quickly (i can see why when the things shifting weird pulling out of the lot). now the f250 definitely doesn't have the cummins power, but the tranny's much better. gotta love the fords when it comes to big truck! oh and screw gm and all their pos trucks. i wonder if toyota will start bringing some competition to the diesel market. a 300 hp 600ft/lb tundra would be sick!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trythis
bub rubb? no idea.
tha whistles go wooooooooo

http://ebaumsworld.com/bubbrubbvideo.html

Last edited by Brendan; 08-10-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:16 PM

Ok thanks of the bub rubb thing. I used to have a little thing that I could slip into an exhaust pipe that made it sound like a VW beetle, old style. Ok unhjjacking own thread

Quick Reply: What exactly is the towing package for our trucks?