86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What do i do now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do i do now?

So i messed up i know.. on my 92 pickup 3.0 i had no compression on a cylinder so i went through it and long story short i fixed the 0compression part. i also did the timing belt while i was at it. after i replaced the timing belt, about a month later... yeah you guessed it the water pump. the pump started leaking. why i didnt change the pump you ask? well i dont really know. the guy i got it from claimed it was done semi recently but clearly it wasnt. so i got a new timing belt and tensioner installed butt now with the water pump leak i dont know what to do. obviously i need to put a new one in but what about the other new components? are they bad? i know the tensioner should be fine but the belt? with the coolant leaking in there and coming out of the engine should the belt be replaced again? also when it comes to the water pumps whats a good kit to go with.. i know there are some that come with a paper like gasket and some come with a metal and rubber gasket? unsure what there all about. so any help is much appreciated. let me know. thanks alot if im being unclear in anyway let me know. ask me what do i mean and i will try to explain a little better. thanks.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you got to go back in there again, replace water pump, also I would
replace tensioner bearing and thermostat. I would recommend a Asin water pump.
As for the timing belt, it's probably okay if is hasn't been leaking long.
You should know when you get in there. Good Luck.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
If you got to go back in there again, replace water pump, also I would
replace tensioner bearing and thermostat. I would recommend a Asin water pump.
As for the timing belt, it's probably okay if is hasn't been leaking long.
You should know when you get in there. Good Luck.
is there a kit i can buy or where is a good place i can find them parts separately .. and sorry when you say tensioner bearing do you mean the tensioner in general or is there another piece of the tensioner? thanks for the input though.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 PM

I got my Asin WP in a complete timing belt kit. You can find many different kits on the internet.
I used a Toyota OEM thermostat.
The other bearing is the larger one between the cam sprockets.
Attached Thumbnails What do i do now?-232323232-fp83232-uqcshlukaxroqdfv4-nu-43-3-4-8-34-wsnrcg-36-7-3-439348nu0mrj.jpg  
Old 07-22-2017, 09:38 AM

where is a recommended place to get a quality asin water pump. want a new one not a rebuilt one?
Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-88-92-3-...6ucKVw&vxp=mtr
You might find it cheaper, Rock Auto, or Amazon
If your only going to do the water pump, at least replace thermostat.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:30 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-88-92-3-...6ucKVw&vxp=mtr
You might find it cheaper, Rock Auto, or Amazon
If your only going to do the water pump, at least replace thermostat.
yeah. i mean everything else i replaced before.. and right before the water pump started leaking the radiator was leaking so i just put a radiator in it and when i did that is when i replaced the thermostat... should i still replace it again? another thing is that when i replaced the radiator and thermostat i got a thermostat from a local part store and it didnt have the "jiggle valve" like the one that was in it before.. should i be worried about that? does the jiggle valve matter? thanks for the input!!
​​​​​​​
Old 07-23-2017, 06:32 PM

No, you don't need a new thermostat, but you will need a new gasket. don't try and re-use old gasket.
For myself, I buy from the dealership as much as possible.
On some of the pricey stuff, I look for a good quality replacement usually online.
I use alot of Denso products also.
It just depends on your budget and how to spend it to your benefit.
IMHO owing a 3VZE requires a little more attention in keeping maintenance up.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:56 PM

No, you don't need a new thermostat, but you will need a new gasket. don't try and re-use old gasket.
For myself, I buy from the dealership as much as possible.
On some of the pricey stuff, I look for a good quality replacement usually online.
I use alot of Denso products also.
It just depends on your budget and how to spend it to your benefit.
IMHO owing a 3VZE requires a little more attention in keeping maintenance up.
Perfect! got the pump ordered, but just too make sure there is no problem using a thermostat that dosnt have a jiggle valve right? or should i order one with a jiggle valve?
​​​​​​​
Old 07-24-2017, 05:23 PM

Well, as I said, I prefer OEM as much as I can.
It's just peace of mind for me.
For the price of a OEM t-stat, that's the way I would go.
I also line up my t-stat jiggle valve at 6 o clock
Some guys run there's at 12 o clock.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:33 AM

Well, as I said, I prefer OEM as much as I can.
It's just peace of mind for me.
For the price of a OEM t-stat, that's the way I would go.
I also line up my t-stat jiggle valve at 6 o clock
Some guys run there's at 12 o clock.
gotchya! it sure woulndt hurt to put the correct one back in. when it comes to the jiggle at 6 or 12 oclock what is the difference. why do i some do 12 and some do 6? is one way more beneficial in some way? thanks
Old 07-26-2017, 11:20 AM

Don't over think it.
Some manuals say 12 and some say 6
I dont think it matters enough which direction you install it.
Mines at 6 and works fine.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Hmmm.

For what it's worth, Toyota says 12. http://web.archive.org/web/201311071...10thermost.pdf

Stant says 12. http://www.stant.com/files/6714/0979...tructions1.pdf

But if you like cruising internet forums instead:
"No, No! You got it all wrong. Who puts a thermostat at 6:30? It's got to be 6:25."
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ml#post2405740

But you know me: if Toyota says something specific in their manual, I'm following that until someone makes a very convincing argument that Toyota doesn't know how to service their own trucks.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 PM

My manual didn't say that
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
51thermost.pdf (27.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 PM

I think page EG1-228 is for the 22re. I don't know much about the 22re, but isn't the thermostat mounted horizontally there? In which case there is no 6 or 12, only fore, aft, left and right. So unless the jiggler is REALLY magnetic, I'd guess the direction doesn't matter.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Hmmm.

For what it's worth, Toyota says 12. http://web.archive.org/web/201311071...10thermost.pdf

Stant says 12. http://www.stant.com/files/6714/0979...tructions1.pdf

But if you like cruising internet forums instead:
"No, No! You got it all wrong. Who puts a thermostat at 6:30? It's got to be 6:25."
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ml#post2405740
But you know me: if Toyota says something specific in their manual, I'm following that until someone makes a very convincing argument that Toyota doesn't know how to service their own trucks.
alright well i know there are a couple different ratings for temp. that they open at which do i go with? i been trying to look around on the internet to order one i just don't want to get the wrong one. im from Michigan so the winters are really cold. what do i look for? if someone could point me to the right one where i can just get it that would be so helpful! hat ethe feeling that im going to mess something up. that's the reason i turn to this page because you guys know ur stuff... well at least more than i do guaranteed.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trick30
alright well i know there are a couple different ratings for temp. that they open at which do i go with? i been trying to look around on the internet to order one i just don't want to get the wrong one. im from Michigan so the winters are really cold. what do i look for? if someone could point me to the right one where i can just get it that would be so helpful! hat ethe feeling that im going to mess something up. that's the reason i turn to this page because you guys know ur stuff... well at least more than i do guaranteed.
Relax Trick30, you have already done this. Go to your local Toyota dealership and buy a OEM thermostat, 180 degree that's the direction I'm pointing you in.
I'm pretty sure Scope would concur.

Last edited by ksti; 07-27-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:36 AM

I agree on the temperature, and nobody ever regretted going OEM, but an OEM thermostat for my truck is around $24. RockAuto has a selection of thermostats (from "standard" to "premium") from $5 to $13. Me, I'd take the chance on a name brand (Stant, Gates, ...) aftermarket replacement.

But switching up to a 192° "alternate" temperature is hard to justify. You'll get plenty of heat from a standard 180°. And what's the high temp in Michigan during the summer? North of 100°?
Old 07-31-2017, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
I agree on the temperature, and nobody ever regretted going OEM, but an OEM thermostat for my truck is around $24. RockAuto has a selection of thermostats (from "standard" to "premium") from $5 to $13. Me, I'd take the chance on a name brand (Stant, Gates, ...) aftermarket replacement.

But switching up to a 192° "alternate" temperature is hard to justify. You'll get plenty of heat from a standard 180°. And what's the high temp in Michigan during the summer? North of 100°?
sorry for not getting back to you guys! id have no problem going to my local toyota dealership but the only problem there is that its lil over 2 hours away. thats why im always asking whats good off the internet and brands to go with. you said rock auto is an ideal place to get stuff like a thermostat? thats pretty much the last thing i need. thanks for all the feed back guys i am a little worked up as you guys can tell but i already made the mistake by not doing the water pump i dont want to dive back into this thing and skip out on somthing important. ya know what im saying? and temps here in the U.P. have been a consistant 70-90 degrees. we might get a day or 2 of 100+ but its kind of rare. and the truck is more for the winter than anything.

Last edited by Trick30; 07-31-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:54 AM

Just take your time, use your FSM and don't over think it.