Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What 2WD Transmission do I have? Updates on what's gonna happen with my 92 xtra cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What 2WD Transmission do I have? Updates on what's gonna happen with my 92 xtra cab

it's an auto tranny in a 92 2wd xtra cab v6. i need to know to get the right transmission pan. also, does anybody make a skid plate for the transmission that bolts right up to the frame? i ask because all there is is like a pipe sittin across for a skid plate and it sucks. also, check out my new avatar. been playin around on paint. this is what i hope to have my pickup lookin like when i'm done. maybe not as low, because i'm not gonna bag it. still want to be able to haul some stuff.

this is copied and pasted from toyotaminis.com:

ok so here we go. i'm the worst flip flopper i've ever seen. after lots of diliberation and trying to make up my mind, i have finally done it. with the way things have been turnin out lately, i figured out the best way to spend my money. the 2 89 4wd chevys are being sold for 1500 bucks this weekend to a mexican guy who wants to send the trucks to mexico. not my problem any more. i don't care what happens to them after i get the money for em. then i'm getting my taxes back this friday. i would much rather have as much money left over as i can. so, instead of buying another vehicle, here's what i'm gonna do:

take the wrecked front end off my 92 xtra cab (i rear ended someone a while back) and put the front end from the 4runner on it. they're both white, so no big deal. put the bucket seats and dash pieces i need from 4runner into xtra cab. both my doors on the xtra cab are messed up, so i need to find some because after researching just a lil bit, i found out the 4runner doors won't fit. the passenger side is jacked because of the fender being pushed back after the rear ending, and the driver's side because i kicked the f out of it when i rear ended the guy cause i was pissed. replace the windshield with the 4runner windshield(spiderweb crack because i got pissed one night and punched it lol stupid me) providing they are the same windshield. get a new rear end for it from the junk yard because i had it jacked up with a bottle jack to change the tire and it fell, messing up part of it i think. all of these things will be pretty inexpensive and won't be too hard. so far i won't be out to much, except maybe the cost of the rear end at the junk yard. then i will need to find a transmission pan because when my grandpa owned the truck he treated it like a 4wd and i have a couple times as well, so there is a hole rubbed in my current tranny pan. hopefully it's not too hard. then new spark plugs, wires, ignition stuff, air intake, and hopefully i can take most of the good parts i need from the 4runner(it's also a 3vz). gonna have a shop pull the motor and tranny and look it over and make sure everything is good. probably have them clean it all up and put it back in. does anybody know if anyone makes aftermarket gauges like in the dash? i want my dash to glow blue. with all this it should cost around 1000-1500 i hope. then for some 5 spoke wheels like some 96 cobra wheels(the black ones) or another badass looking black or gunmetal 5 spoke wheel, and it should be ok after that. maybe a lil body work if i can afford it. then spray it with a couple coats of canary yellow primer until i can afford a paint job. my cousin is a painter for a company that rebuilds hueys(the helicopters) and their primer is really bright yellow and he can do it for cheap. i'll take pics and keep it all updated as i go along. hoping it all works out and i don't hit too many snags. this is what i have settled on because for the money i would spend for another vehicle, i can put into my xtra cab and it'll be sittin pretty. if you guys have any input i would love to hear it. and anybody know any websites for 3vz performance?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-25-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:38 AM

decided i'd upload a pic of the avatar so it's easier to see.
Attached Thumbnails What 2WD Transmission do I have? Updates on what's gonna happen with my 92 xtra cab-yellow-xtra-cab.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Open the drivers side door, there is a white label in the door jam with vehicle info on it. Underneath the barcode, to the right of the very last line, it should say what tranny you have.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 AM

alright thanks. i'll check it out. know anywhere to get performance parts for 3vz?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:19 AM

performance and the 3vze, generally do not go hand in hand!! but if you must proceed, try searching these forums for what other people have done.... or check out this site http://www.doaracingengines.com/index.html. That should get you started! Cheers
Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd say find a fab shop in Arizona and get a skid plate fabbed up- you could go steel from frame rail to rail if you wanted.

As for performance, I'd shop around for a 5vze and go that route.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 AM

well about the shopping around for a 5vze, i'm tryin to spend as little money as i have to. i don't want to win races or anything with my truck just want it to be able to haul a lil tail when i want it to. the motor in the 4runner is a jdm that had a bad crank and blew it, so i'm gonna take most of the parts off it like intake and distributor and plug wires and all the parts that have less miles on them than mine so it should clear up some stuff. i might have the shop that is pulling everything and giving it a once over try to fab me up a skid plate. probably have them make me some 1-2 inch drop blocks for it too even though i will replace it with 3 inch drop springs when i have more money to spend. don't really like the blocks cause they cause your springs to be more visible cause the blocks make the spring sit where not as much tire blocks the view.