Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weasy's Cams for 3vze.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Weasy2k
Bumpin
There is no electronic Idle up control in the 3vz-e's it actually replys on your coolant temp alone which changes the amount of airflow that goes into the engine. Im unsure as to why it would drop so much...except i would check your IGN timing to make sure its bang on or else it will affect it a bit (i noticed that on my test 4runner here which is auto as well was off by 2 deg retard and it lugged at idle). Also is the idle adjustment screw in place properly? Tim moved his out just a wee bit and it is sitting alot nicer now. 7.3L...what a waste of DSL
hehehehe Actually my timing is at 16*BTDC instead of the 10* its supposed to be at. Interestingly enough I can run 89 octane and still only get a ping once in a blue moon when bogging the engine. 93 octane and no pinging at all!

The 7.3 race was a 1st gear race into a single merged lane so we had about 200 yards to rock..since the guy didnt know what brake boosting was, I waxed his ass....now if he had brake boosted to 15+psi and been in 4x4, I'da been toast off of the line...lol

Glad you are enjoying the cams guys! Want a supercharger?
hell yes!

or a turbo kit - less stress on the engine!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 04-23-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
You honestly believe a turbo will put less STRESS on the engine?!? You've gotta be KIDDING! HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
You honestly believe a turbo will put less STRESS on the engine?!? You've gotta be KIDDING! HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Actually no Im not.

The turbocharged engine has to work far less to achieve X hp compared to the same engine with a supercharger making the same hp. The efficiency numbers dont lie

Now if you thought NA compared to FI, then duh FI is more stressful...I was merely comparing methods of FI

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 04-23-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if anything was developed it would be a nice mild setup that wont be hard on the motor...its all on paper...budgeting and everything first..
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, a turbo is more efficient, but it does NOT put less stress on a motor than a supercharger. Turbos run MUCH hotter (stress) & you have to spin the engine higher to get that HP (mores stress again)...

SCs have power available at just above idle and run out of steam earlier...it's a tradeoff, but a much more reliable tradeoff that you don't have to work so hard for.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Weasy!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:00 PM
rhd

that's not inherently true..

turbo's do create heat....BUT, they run off of expelled gases..that don't add much load onto the engine. they do work WAY more efficently than a belt driven s/c...and that alone takes more stress out of it, in comparison.

also, a turbo setup is much easier to intercool....and you can also NOT have boost, part throttle ftw! a s/c is hard to intercool, and you ALWASY have boost if you have RPM...even under low load.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Yes, a turbo is more efficient, but it does NOT put less stress on a motor than a supercharger. Turbos run MUCH hotter (stress) & you have to spin the engine higher to get that HP (mores stress again)...

SCs have power available at just above idle and run out of steam earlier...it's a tradeoff, but a much more reliable tradeoff that you don't have to work so hard for.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Weasy!
Actually you dont have to spin the engine any faster then you would with a supercharged engine with the proper setup. Properly choose the hotside on your turbo and youll have boost at 1500rpm on up through the rest of the power band. In fact if you used a T3 turbo with a small hot side, like a 0.45AR, you'd have boost at idle that would run out at 4000rpm or so, just like a supercharger.

Why do I say, and continue to stand by the statement that a supercharged engine is under more stress to achieve X hp than a conventionaly turboed engine making the same hp?

All you have to do is look at the hp required to drive the forced induction device. (i've personally crunched the numbers about a dozen times for a turboed 3vze.) A T04e-50 turbo with a T3 0.69AR hotside will use roughly 5 hp to build 15psi of boost which should make 250-260hp. A supercharger on the same engine should take over 30hp to drive to make the same 250-260hp.....

that means to make 250 crank hp, the turbocharged engine must make 255hp and the supercharged engine must make 280hp. You tell me which has 10% more stress just to achieve 250 crank horse power....

ps - And I can state with certanty that you WILL have boost under partial throttle settings with a turbo. We have 3 turbo charged vehicles and all 3 of them develop some sort of boost when off of idle... Some are well over 15psi at partial throttle settings, others only 5. It depends on the setup, engines strength, and the load on the engine....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 04-24-2007 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:58 AM

Anywhoo FOr people still waiting...cams will be done either friday or early next week
Old 04-24-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by rhd
also, a turbo setup is much easier to intercool....and you can also NOT have boost, part throttle ftw! a s/c is hard to intercool, and you ALWASY have boost if you have RPM...even under low load.
most centrifugal superchargers are just as easy to intercool as a turbo is, it's just a matter of running the charge pipes. If you pick your turbo carefully you can basically have it spool it up at any RPM you want, you'll just have less power on top if you have it spool off idle
Old 04-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Anywhoo FOr people still waiting...cams will be done either friday or early next week

gimmie a date in may when you are avail and I can work things out here..
Old 05-23-2008, 07:48 PM

UMMMM, IM VERY INTERESTED, GOTTA BUILD ME A NEW 3.0 ANYWAY, SO WHY NOT GIVE IT A KICK?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

pm weazy2k or go to www.sea2skytuning.com to order yours this is a very old thread and he might miss your post.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

hey aviator!

i wonder what toyworks thinks of these? ever talk with him about this kind of stuff?

lee
Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

I can't recall if I brought it up or not... my timing belt is coming due for replace ment soon so I might order some for install then.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:57 PM

i have em and love em!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another vote for weasy cams

these cams are fantastic. best mod for the 3vze. in fact, the 3vze big-3 is weasy cams, headers, and 2.25 exhaust. That's all the 3vze needs to become a much better motor.
The rest is icing on the cake, but these 3 are the most impt IMHO.

the cams give a lumpy idle which I did not understand at first but which I love now, sounds just great. a lot of people ask me what I've got in there. I tell them with pride and a straight face "its a V8' and they all believe it

one thing that I have noticed (which isn't a problem, but just wondering why), is that after stopping, the idle goes down to about 4-500RPM for a while, relaxing down there, then it pops back up to 800 where it stays. If I give it even a little bit of gas while down at 4-500, immediately back to 800.

never stalls, just curious as to why these cams might idle lower after returning to idle from highway driving etc.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
i have em and love em!
Originally Posted by taikowaza
these cams are fantastic. best mod for the 3vze. in fact, the 3vze big-3 is weasy cams, headers, and 2.25 exhaust. That's all the 3vze needs to become a much better motor.
The rest is icing on the cake, but these 3 are the most impt IMHO.

the cams give a lumpy idle which I did not understand at first but which I love now, sounds just great. a lot of people ask me what I've got in there. I tell them with pride and a straight face "its a V8' and they all believe it

one thing that I have noticed (which isn't a problem, but just wondering why), is that after stopping, the idle goes down to about 4-500RPM for a while, relaxing down there, then it pops back up to 800 where it stays. If I give it even a little bit of gas while down at 4-500, immediately back to 800.

never stalls, just curious as to why these cams might idle lower after returning to idle from highway driving etc.
thanks you guys, if i keep the 3.0 i'll get these cams and headers to match, i might go with bigger valves too.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:15 AM

i have the cams, os valves, pnp job on the top end and the grade 10.9 headbolts from engnbldr. Now that I retorqed the headbolts and reshimmed the cams, my truck is running better than it EVER has from the factory!! Adding the headers should + previous mods should yield 35+ rwhp!

Now all i need are the headers, but I think Im going turbocharged in the very near future...but damn its expensive

200 for the wide band
250 for the injector controller
30 for the weld els
200 for the ebay turbo
200 for the ignition retarding controller
100 for the piping and couplers
50 for the bov
50 for the wastegate
200 for the turbo back exhuast
and

150 for the welder from harbour freight tools! lol

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 05-30-2008 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Just curious Bumpin' where do you plan to mount/plumb the turbo?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:29 PM

drivers side just north of the steering linkage. doing this will require a custom fabb'ed turbo manifold. This has been sometihng ive been kicking around doing for a long long long time.

Quick Reply: Weasy's Cams for 3vze.