Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Water Pump Pully $768.99!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump Pully $768.99!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, I went to all the auto parts stores today and nobody carries the pully part. I went to the STEALERSHIP and these Armed Robbers wanted GET THIS
$768.99, because they don't just sell the pully mechanism. They want to sell you a whole kit only. DanG~!! If I just add a couple of hundred dollars I can go get a rebuilt engine and have it put in!!!!!
I am going to check out some junkyards today, but the area I live in is pretty small and people tend to hold on to 4Runners, never see used ones for sale around here. So wish me luck!
Anyone know anyone parting out a 1992 V6?
eBay or Craigslist?
Any Help would be great.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What do you mean by waterpump pulley? People don't just replace the pulley when it goes bad... they replace the whole waterpump, and waterpumps sell for less than $100. Are you sure you have the terminology correct?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:04 AM

The part that bolts and covers the water pump, were the belts go on, it is pretty much a piece of metal that just covers the water pump and the belts go on the pully attached to it. My berrings froze up and it ripped it apart.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:12 AM

here is a picture from a tercel, looks kinda like this but bigger
Water Pump Pully 8.99!!!!!!!!!!!-kinda.png
Old 11-30-2007, 04:20 AM

Here is a picturer of it on my rig...all frozen up
I cant even move it with everything off it. I wound a bering "piece" in my skid plateWater Pump Pully 8.99!!!!!!!!!!!-111.png
sorry it is kinda small, this site wont load the whole pic, so i had to cut to size, but this is it still on the rig over the water pump, i took off the pully connected to it
Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just get a new waterpump. if it hasnt been replaced, its probably time for one anyway
Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 AM

I got a water pump, but that isn't the problem, the pully housing over it, a whole different part...is like wheres waldo where i am at. that is the problem cause the berrings that let the pully spin are gone, grinded up, and nobody sells them except the stealership.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:35 AM

This?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FAN-I...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-30-2007, 04:40 AM

OMG ThANK YOU!!!!!!!!
I WILL BUY IT ASAP
YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER
Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 AM

Use some caution when buying "new" parts extremely cheap. There is a thread somewhere here or on tacomaterritory about the purchase of a new fan bracket on ebay. Basically, if this part fails you will possibly loose more than a few other components on your truck and it will happen while the engine is running. If the bearings are bad on yours you may find a machine shop who can replace them cheaper than getting a new one.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's funny stuff....that thing definitely looks like a water pump when you don't know what's behind it and are not familiar with these motors. I just took mine apart and when I unbolted the bracket I was like...huh...nothin but an idler bracket.

730+ bucks though...hahahaha...wow!
Old 11-30-2007, 06:07 AM

junk yards around here have then as high a s 150$ and as low as 75$ used! but if it were me i would try the ebay one first! mike

Last edited by kenwoodrunner; 11-30-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:37 AM

Thats what I did, thanks for the link davenjai, that helped, i thought I was gonna have to max out my credit card..come to find out it was going to be the wrong part anyways. now i remember why i signed up for this site.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 AM

Why does the dealership charge so much for a part that doesn't really do anything?

Rob
Old 11-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Because they can. Not all dealerships are the same though, one I go to will actually look at the vehicle to verify the part and offer the option of after market or salvage parts through a hot line. Plus markup of course.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It will last longer if you switch to an electric fan Some with electric fans have done away with the fan bracket altogether (but you need a smaller belt).
Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 AM
DCS

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Yah, I took the route described by Mt Goat.

As described above by RC000E - the part we're discussing is a cover bracket with idler and fan pulleys. The only thing it does for the water pump is serve as a dust cover. It's crazy that YO wants so much money for them.

My OEM fan begin to fail last year; the plastic started breaking at the mounts, and I was getting close to the grenaded-fan syndrome.

I removed my fan and this bracket, then used a hammer and blocks and an arc welder and many bad words to beat the entire nose right off the bracket. I got lucky, mine broke off at the shaft where I had buried the welder stinger into it.

Anyway, i installed a Taurus e-fan, and put the bracket back in place, and used shorter belts for the alternator and a/c. See sig line for the belt numbers.

I also shopped those e-bay brackets. I read where some people said they worked great and others said they were bad.

If yours doesn't work out, send it back for a refund. Knock the nose off your old bracket, and switch to e-fan. It will be cheaper overall (less than $100), it will give your engine and mpg a tiny improvement, and your windows will never get dirty again. (what?)

Anyway, for those who try the knocking-the-nose-off-the-bracket approach, I really think the trick is extreme heat cycles and getting the shaft brittle so that it fails and snaps off fairly flush with the bracket face. Then fine tune with a grinder. I tried hacksawing, but the shaft is hardened to survive a nuclear explosion. While beating and swearing, I broke a piece of my bracket off (it's just aluminum) and I almost freaked out, but then I calmed myself with beer and lulaby's, and I JBWelded the broken piece back in place, and presto, it's been fine for a year now.

Have fun with all that. I dig my taurus efan. Works great.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:17 AM

Thank a lot. I will download this page here. I will try the part (it's already in the mail) but if it isn't any good, which I hope it is. I will just do what you said and switch over.
The dealership, to answer some questions, said that they only sell them is kits, which from the computer model the pimp showed me was like....half the front of the engine, and all the pullys and some other stuff, I think they throw in a bucket seat to lol
Old 11-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by BrunswickYota
I think they throw in a bucket seat to lol
thats for after they they get ya paying out the a$$
Old 11-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
LCE has 'em, not that cheap. Quality shouldn't be an issue though with them.

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...ss=1382&Page=2

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-30-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Pully $768.99!!!!!!!!!!!