86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VSV for fuel pressure control

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSV for fuel pressure control

So I was removing an A/C line that runs right under the 3 pack of VSV's on the passenger fender of a 92 4runner. And I broke the air filter/one way check valve? off. Will this affect my fuel pressure?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 AM

bump...
Old 06-24-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what color was the one u broke off? i know that one does control the fuel pump regulator that is by the dist. the other 2 control the par valve and egr.... i just removed all that stuff from mine but im not worried about mileage.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 AM

I didn't actually break any of them. I was just curious what you found out or learned about these vsv thingys!

I drive this thing a LOT for work and fuel economy is definitely important for me!

The biggest problem I'm having, is that mine (1994 3vz-e 4Runner 2wd auto) is running rich as hell and I can not figure out what to do! It runs pretty good with the TPS unplugged (still rich though) but with it plugged in, it runs like a dog up to 3000 rpm and then runs awesome above that!

I have been through everything and now I'm just trying to check sensors, components, wiring, vac hoses, and anything else that could cause it, mostly so that I can just eliminate possible causes.

I have a funny feeling it's going to end up being a wiring problem (maybe between the tps and the ecm).

Anything ideas you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM

Blue VSV, this does two things, It keeps the exhaust volocity up and adds O2 during decel.
Red VSV, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Turns on mainly during hard excelleration and brings FP up, You can by pass if needed as vacuum alone will control FP.
I really doubt this is what is causing your running rich issue.
Green VSV, This control EGR, It remains off until engine up to temp, This is usualy on during cruise and light ecelleration.

Running rich would be caused by the Green VSV being rusted or stuck open, Bad EGR modulator (little round black plastic) (on the front of the 3vz), The EGR valve is stuck open.
Bad O2 sensor or possibly a stuck injector would be the only other options if you have already checked plugs and wires.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:47 PM

I recently solved a constantly rich problem on a 1991 Toyota truck (California specs) after testing everything imaginable and came up with nothing. In the end, I discovered that it was an injector problem. Intending to install new injectors when doing major engine work, I purchased a set and installed them. Turns out that they were wrong, even though they appeared identical. In the end, I re-installed the original ones and the problem was solved. Upon close examination, the only difference I could see is that the correct injectors have one discharge hole and the new ones have four.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2023, 04:15 PM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbill
I recently solved a constantly rich problem on a 1991 Toyota truck (California specs) after testing everything imaginable and came up with nothing. In the end, I discovered that it was an injector problem. Intending to install new injectors when doing major engine work, I purchased a set and installed them. Turns out that they were wrong, even though they appeared identical. In the end, I re-installed the original ones and the problem was solved. Upon close examination, the only difference I could see is that the correct injectors have one discharge hole and the new ones have four.

I hope this helps.

There has to be more of a difference than hole count for fuel discharge out of the injectors.

I have been running a new set of Hyundai(2.4 engine) four hole injectors for six years now, and they have worked great on my 92 22RE. They were plug and play too...no extra harness add on. The way I see it there is something else going on besides hole count.