86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VERY LOUD TAPPING When enging started.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VERY LOUD TAPPING When enging started.

OK when I start my 95 runner (3.0 engine) in the morning at a cold start, the Valves tap very loud for about 2 sec. is this normal. It really bugs me. Please help with and answer.

Last edited by keithguts; 11-29-2006 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fairly normal with an upper mileage motor in the winter. You can run a lighter oil in the winter to minimize it.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by amgraham
Fairly normal with an upper mileage motor in the winter. You can run a lighter oil in the winter to minimize it.
I was asking this question cause I just had new valves, heads, timing belt, water pumt, etc. Rig runs sweet, but just the 2 sec. tapping on a cold start bugs me to death. I do hope this is normal.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:05 AM

I just rebuilt my 3.0 about 6 months ago, and I have the same tapping. I know what your going through, I hate it. Did you do the valve work yourself?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
theyre waiting for oil. its pretty normal, but you can run lighter weight oil to reduce it some.

there are some products that claim to be able to stick to parts on the top of the engine instead of draining back into the pan like lucas oil stabilizer, but I wouldn't recomend going that route because they tend to junk up the rest of the oil, and they make a hell of a mess if you spill em.

Last edited by MMA_Alex; 11-29-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by BearsRunner
I just rebuilt my 3.0 about 6 months ago, and I have the same tapping. I know what your going through, I hate it. Did you do the valve work yourself?
No I had it done by a shop. Compleat job....
Old 11-29-2006, 07:29 AM

Depending on the shop, they might adjust them for you.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Mine does this, too, but only after it has sat unused for a few days. Has not been rebuilt. So, I shouldn't worry about it?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
theyre waiting for oil. its pretty normal, but you can run lighter weight oil to reduce it some.

there are some products that claim to be able to stick to parts on the top of the engine instead of draining back into the pan like lucas oil stabilizer, but I wouldn't recomend going that route because they tend to junk up the rest of the oil, and they make a hell of a mess if you spill em.
I have herd some good stuff on this LICAS oil Stabilizer. Do you think this will hel the problem? And do you really think it will junk up the oil?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 AM

I've used Lucas with good success. You can give it a shot. I have not seen it "junk up" the oil. It is a PITA to use in the winter though (very thick when it is new). Try it and if you don't like it or it doesn't help just put reg oil in at the next oil change and it won't hurt a thing.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:11 AM

[QUOTE=amgraham;50349356]I've used Lucas with good success. You can give it a shot. I have not seen it "junk up" the oil. It is a PITA to use in the winter though (very thick when it is new). Try it and if you don't like it or it doesn't help just put reg oil in at the next oil change and it won't hurt a thing.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info. I just hope it helps the ticking/tapping for the 1st 2-3 sec. on cold startup.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:26 AM

you're welcome to try it, but i'd only put in a small amount. lucas claims that you can replace all the oil with it without any issues, but if you look at bob is the oil guy a test has been done that shows that lucas tends to trap a lot of air due to how viscous it is.

Btw, if you spill any on your driveway it'll never come out, I know from experience
Old 11-29-2006, 08:29 AM

It could also be the injectors.

I had my injectors 'rebuilt' by witch hunter performance when I rebuilt my 3VZ. The truck clicks like the dickens, which, accordign to a master service tech at a toyota dealership, is pretty normal.

PS
I wouldn't run Lucas
Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 AM

I have never heard of anyone running just Lucas in their motor. Just replace a quart of your regular oil with a quart of Lucas. It will mix well at that ratio. It may help the tap but I would say that you will still have to live with a little bit (it's not anything I would lose sleep over though as long as it goes away in a couple seconds).
Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 AM

i personally wouldnt put any in. I have read somewhere about people claiming to put only lucas in. It may have been on their site, but I cant remember.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by amgraham
I have never heard of anyone running just Lucas in their motor. Just replace a quart of your regular oil with a quart of Lucas. It will mix well at that ratio. It may help the tap but I would say that you will still have to live with a little bit (it's not anything I would lose sleep over though as long as it goes away in a couple seconds).
I don't no, after reading the posts here, I'm not to sure I want to use this stuff. Also I checked out this site bob is the oil guy and it was quite the thing on how this stuff works.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:21 AM

Alot of my friends are into the drag racing world and no not the ricers haha but they always have said thta lucas makes dependable products but i dont know if i would ever mix 2 kinds of oil in and engine. Its kind of a rule of thumb to stick to the same brand unless you drain all the oil out and change it all. The valve chatter is nerma till the pumps fills those rails along the valves when you first start it up.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:25 AM

I have used it for the past 12 years in my own and customers' vehicles (when I had the shop) and have never had a problem with it. The only time I have used more than a quart was when trying to milk a little more time out of something with a rod knock. Notice that most of the people who have said don't use it have nothing to back up that advice. The cavitization with trapping the air is only when testing it straight, not cut like it is supposed to (I believe the recommended ratio is 20% or so Lucas). I have seen it work in the real world, not just in tests. I don't care whether you try it or not, all I'm saying is using 1 quart for one oil change cycle will not hurt your truck. Like it, keep it. Don't like it, change it. I still think you're going to have to live with a second or 2 tap on cold start anyway regardless.

You know, I completely forgot to ask, what oil do you run in it now?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:32 AM

I do have experience with lucas just not in an engine. I used lucas for a front diff with a slight leak, and all it did was drip goo all over my driveway. I dont understand how some people swear by it, and its quite expensive considering its just straight petroleum oil with no additives (if i remember correctly)
Old 11-29-2006, 09:39 AM

skirt slap.

Quick Reply: VERY LOUD TAPPING When enging started.