86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Valve adjustment or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve adjustment or not?

I recently replaced the head gasket and timing chain, guides, etc. It runs pretty good now but when I really step on it, it kinda chugs. I don't think it has as much power as it should. I am the second owner and know the previous owner did nothing to it unless if broke. Would doing a valve adjustment help/solve the problem? Also, I don't know much about compression checks; will that tell me anything helpful?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd say if the valves were in adjustment before the replacement jobs...that is, they weren't creating power/chug issues before, that it's not a problem with the adjustment. Although, a HG/TC change is a good time for one.

Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks where you replaced gaskets and resinstalled vacuum hoses.

Did you mess with any sensors throughout the job...other than unplugging and replugging them in?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 AM

I see....you also had the idle problem thread.

So, now you have a power issue after the fact?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you should adjusted em when you put the rocker assy back in place. they're easy enough to check, and they should be done every...30k i think the manual says. If you're having power/idle issues a full tuneup is in order (valve adj included)
Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 AM

you adjusted the valves after doing the headgasket right? is the t chain lined up correctly? dist. is the right spot?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:29 PM

I don't remember if its worse than before. I didn't have it very long before the HG blew. I know the timing chain is installed correctly but i don't have a timing light or anything for the distributor (which I replaced as well).

It sounds great when idling now. But when I accelerate it feel like its choking until it gets the rpm's up higher. Not terrible, just annoying.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 10:14 PM

Sounds like a timing issue. Check with a light. Yes, run (set) the valves, very important.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 PM

Well, the timing could be off....too retarded....and cause the problem you're having. Consider getting a timing light. I found a good one for around $40 at O'Reilly. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend that kind of money, at the time, on something I didn't think I'd use that much, but I actually find myself using it more than I thought. It's a handy tool to monitor what the system is doing if ever you're having a problem that could be related to the timing.....like what you're experiencing now.

Uneven compression wouldn't bring a smooth idle at all. And since yours is idling well, I don't believe you have a problem there. But, test it anyway. Personally, I always like to know where my compression ratio is at......a prime indicator of motor health.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 AM

why do people even bother doing those kind of repairs without the proper tools. then they are stumped when theres something wrong.

dont get me wrong, good job on saving yourself some coin and doing it yourself, but save yourself some headache and buy,rent, borrow or steal the proper tools for the job.

did you or did you not adjust the valves while replacing the headgasket?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:29 AM

well, special thanks to toyotalytrevor for the positive comments. Im sure he has lots of friends.

Anyway, thanks to everyone else! I'll try the light.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are an eBayer it's a great place to get gently used tools. I bought my SunPro timing light on there for cheap.

Rob
Old 04-15-2008, 01:08 PM

I have a timming light you could barrow I live on the northside.

if not go to autozone or schucks and rent one.

or a mechanic could do it for $20
Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Skater78
well, special thanks to toyotalytrevor for the positive comments. Im sure he has lots of friends.

Anyway, thanks to everyone else! I'll try the light.

thanks, i do have quite a few friends actualy.

you seem to be avoiding the question i asked you...... did you adjust the valves during re-assembly ??
Old 04-15-2008, 05:56 PM

Why the hell are you hounding the guy? It's obvious he hasn't by the original question.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:51 PM

thanks thook. took the words right out of my mouth. reading issues i guess. lol, some people.......
Old 04-15-2008, 09:07 PM

I think he needs a beer.......on me!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:00 PM

real beer, nice
Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Skater78
thanks thook. took the words right out of my mouth. reading issues i guess. lol, some people.......

No,i can read fine thanks. I just wanted to be sure that I wasnt gonna call you an idiot if you werent one. But now that you'll clarified that you didnt adjust the valves when you did the headgasket, I have no problem calling you and idiot.

There of lots of variables that could affect the valve adjustment: make and quality of headgasket, how and to what it was torque'd to, what meathod was used and how well the mating surfaces were cleaned, was a different head used etc.

not adjusting the valves after doing the headgasket is like not wiping your ass after you take a poo there was none on it before why should there be any on it now right?

Last edited by toyotalytrevor; 04-16-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 AM

You know, Trevor, you're absolutely right. He should have adjusted the valves and your reasons are valid. But, consider switching to Charmin before your next poo. That sandpaper is obviously not working for you. And, I guess no amount of beer is going to help matters.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM

Do both. Adjust the valves and check the timing. A valve adjustment will take you about an hour if you've never done one before. And as for the timing light, just borrow one from autozone, they work pretty well

Quick Reply: Valve adjustment or not?