Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

V6 Fan Bracket Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V6 Fan Bracket Bearing Replacement

Anyone been able to replace the bearing on the fan bracket - not the fluid clutch, the pulley assembly closest to the timing belt? Mine is making hella noise and I'd like to replace it soon, but can't go through the stealer - $789!!! I know even my wholesale contacts are going to be $500+.
Thanks.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Banned

Ebay or salvage yard
Old 10-02-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did mine, Bought on ebay for 69.00 bucks. Quality seems good. It takes a little time to take it apart. Remove the fan shroud and then cut a piece of card board to cover the radiator. Remove the small nuts on the clutch fan before you loosen all the belts. You have to take the hose offthe front of the engine and move it out of the way to get the plastic covers off. Check for bearing fragments near the timing belt clean any debri out. Just take your time it is a bit of a knuckel buster. When you install the new braket put the only bolt that has a nut on the end in first, with out nut and slide the bracket over. This lines up the bracket so you can get the other bolts in. make sure to put lock tite on the fan nuts when you reinstall them. they will loosen if you dont. ps you have to loosen one of the belts from under the truck, it may need a little tap to loosen up. You need a little RTV to put hose back on the fron of the engine.

good Luck
Old 10-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Mine locked up a month ago with no warning sounds. It eat the power steering belt. I stopped and bought a new belt at a NAPA store.
I didn't know the bearing was locked up until I went to trouble of installing the new belt in the rain. I got it back together and put my tools up before starting the runner - It screamed !!!!

Tore it back down in the rain - fun fun fun

Then called everywhere looking for this Toyota only part. I finally found one 60 miles from where I was broke down. I couldn't hire anybody to drive me to get the part. My wife came to where I was ( 2 hours from home) and took me to get the part. I got it back together just before dark - in the rain.

Cost me $150.00 bucks for the part, at a Toyota only junk yard in Vonore, TN. The part looked to be new or at least reconditioned. Whites Toyota say's that he sell's a lot of these. The $750.00 that Toyota wants for this is insane !!!!!!

Good thing that I always carry my tools.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

I got mine for $200 from a junkyard that was remanned...when I called Phil at trdparts4u...he sighed...and said I have the worse luck in the world! After he said the price...I got this weird taste in my mouth. My response was....WHAT?!?!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

That's FUNNY - I got that same wierd taste in my mouth.

only I said &%$#@%^&%%&** !!!!!!!!!

Kiss me first damn it !
Old 10-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Doc279
That's FUNNY - I got that same wierd taste in my mouth.

only I said &%$#@%^&%%&** !!!!!!!!!

Kiss me first damn it !
Did you have questions like "How can a little piece of aluminum that has a bearing in it cost $700?"

Mine locked up in a drive thru at a bank...belt started squeeling.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

You know I did !

I was NOT a happy camper that day. I remember it all to well.

However, it was not as bad as 2 years ago - while on vacation 450 miles from home pulling my trailer with the motorcyle on it. I blew the motor rolling into Charleston, SC - my first day of vacation - in July.

I spent the whole week in a family members driveway installing an Orient engine in 97 degree heat. I remember that one too !!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

You know I did !

I was NOT a happy camper that day. I remember it all to well.

However, it was not as bad as 2 years ago - while on vacation 450 miles from home pulling my trailer with the motorcyle on it. I blew the motor rolling into Charleston, SC - my first day of vacation - in July.

I spent the whole week in a family members driveway installing an Orient engine in 97 degree heat. I remember that one too !!!!
Wow....I believe I would have set it on fire where it sat...
Old 10-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Actually the engine incident happened on Friday afternoon. I spent all day Saturday looking for a junk yard engine - insane prices.

I spent Sunday looking at used cars - I could find nothing that I wanted to spend money on. Monday morning I called Orient and they could have the engine to me by Wednesday morning. I was working by the crack of dawn every morning to beat the heat. The wife and I played on the beach several afternoons - just to hot to work.

Luckily, I had the bike to ride and used it to run and get parts.

I lived through it but it was quite the experience. Let's just say that my wife is not afraid to go anywhere with me - we will get home eventually.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Actually the engine incident happened on Friday afternoon. I spent all day Saturday looking for a junk yard engine - insane prices.

I spent Sunday looking at used cars - I could find nothing that I wanted to spend money on. Monday morning I called Orient and they could have the engine to me by Wednesday morning. I was working by the crack of dawn every morning to beat the heat. The wife and I played on the beach several afternoons - just to hot to work.

Luckily, I had the bike to ride and used it to run and get parts.

I lived through it but it was quite the experience. Let's just say that my wife is not afraid to go anywhere with me - we will get home eventually.

Yeh I'm pretty much the same way...carry my toolbox in the back of the truck type guy because when you own a used vehicle with no warranty, its all on you! Or let someone rip ya off doing the work and you don't know if it will last very long.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:54 PM

I didn't replace. I removed and went e-fan.

2 shorter belts from NAPA were about $30
Hayden fan controller was $40
Lincoln junkyard fan was $17
cap for the hole left in the fan braket after removing bearing was $.50
RTV, coolant, zip ties, wires, couple nuts and bolts for the shroud, solder, electric tape, split loom, I'm sure I was out for under $100.

I fixed it in the comfort of my garage over a few days. It was nice and easy.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 PM

If your local parts jobber carries the Dorman line they should be able to get you a new assembly. It should be less than half of the dealers retail.

link---> http://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bi...ist=1376:952:0
Old 10-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Red - I'm confused - have you completely eliminated the fan pulleys? If so, why did you cap the hole in the fan bracket? Why shorter belts?
Where did you pick up the Hayden controller for $40? Any problems with the stock Alt. running the e-fan?
Thanks.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
When you buy the fan support bracket from the dealer, it is not just the bracket. It comes assembled with the pulley AND fan clutch. Price is a little steep, but once again I refer back to how long the original one lasted.

Most of the bearings fail because of over tightened belts.

Some aftermarket companies produce these new and you can also pick them up from local wrecking yards.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:30 PM

i replaced myne 2 weeks ago with 170000 miles on engine. if its the same part i replaced its called a water pump bracket. Toyota will only sell it to u with the new fan clutch, both wheels the powersteering and alternator belts ride on. $715. I ordered myne off autopartswarehouse.com. (awesome website)$286 its called a water pump bracket not very complicated to change.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:05 AM

I capped the hole to keep stuff from getting into the timing cover.
There is a hole in my fan bracket because i chopped off the bearing support tower and pounded out the bearings.

I needed shorter belts because there is no more fan pully. Crank to alternator, Crank to Power steering.

The Hayden fan controller is from PepBoys in Highland's Ranch, CO.

No problems to date with the alternator. The fan draws 8 amps. (about the same as your headlights) (startup current is higher) The fan runs occasionally while sitting in traffic and coming off of the highway. It never runs above 30mph.

My alternator plan is to install a larger unit when this one fails. I'm going to try one I got off of a previa It had a 5 ribbed belt, but they say it is only a 70 amp?