Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Unfortunate Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on the 88. It has been a good truck. When I rebuilt it, I just used the clutch that was in it. Some 40k miles later it just gave up. I need to do mine as well but it is going to wait a while longer. I will be in St. Louis this weekend but will PM my number if you get somewhere you are not sure of. I should be available or will get backwith as soon as possible.

Start soaking the crossmember bolts in PB Blaster before the weekend. They can get rusted in there. If it is still driveable running it thru an automatic carwash and getting the bottom side is a good idea as well to get all of the dirt off and makes it easier to work on. A manual carwash is better. Anything is better then nothing.

I prefer this bearing, but you may have a solid silver bearing. I have used both.
31230-35070-77
Name:  throwoutbearing1_zps1cd0e2bf.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  8.5 KB

I have used floor jacks, but a tranny jack from Harbor Frieght can be had fairly cheap. Undo 2 bolts that hold the slave cylinder on, remove the transmission housing bolts. Two on top can be a little difficult to get to, Remove transmission and tcase sticks, driveshaft, and the 8 bolts that hold the crossmember in. I think that is most of it but double check.

When you install the tranny, using some Phillip screwdrivers nearly the same size as your transmission to engine bolts, I run them thru the tranny and engine bolt holes to act as guides, when I have the tranny 2-4 inches away from the motor. The last inch or two will be the most difficult as you are trying to get the transmission shaft into the pilot bearing.

I would suggest taking your flywheel and have it resurfaced at a parts store which cost about $25. Use brake cleaner to clean the grease off of it or finger smudges. Apply Blue locktite to the threads, torque the bolts to 80 foot pounds.

Removing the Pilot Bearing. Filled with pieces of wet paper towel and drive it out with something the size of the bearing hole.
Name:  motor13_zps68492a4e.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  38.5 KB

Here it is out. Can take up to 2 sheets of paper towels.
Name:  motor12_zps38f98091.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  42.5 KB
Old 03-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well guys thanks again for all the tips! Clutch replacement went fairly smooth with the exception of a few hiccups. Turns out my pilot bearing exploded! I can't believe it worked at all! The only thing left was the outer race and a bunch of shrapnel that used to be the bearings. I also had significant play in my throw out bearing. I ordered a new clutch kit from low range off road with a new flywheel to boot.

First hiccup: wrong throw out bearing with no clip to attach it to the clutch fork. Had to go to Advanced Auto and pick up a new one. Turns out that was good anyway because the retaining clip came with the national bearing.

Second hiccup: the flywheel drift pins were off kilter a bit and I couldn't get the pressure plate to line up. Easy fix...drilled out the holes on the pressure plate and on she went!

Third hiccup: stupid pacesetter headers were in the way so I had to remove them to get the transmission out. Serves me right for buying cheap.

My buddy has a 4 post lift and every tool imaginable so the whole thing was splendid overall. Took about 4.5 hours today. Everything works great and it shifts like butter!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats on getting it swapped out. I just swapped a clutch out today as well. I friend of mine has a lift and that makes the job so much easier. Glad to see you got it back on the road.