Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Turn Signal On, Causes Stereo Off

Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn Signal On, Causes Stereo Off

Hi, I got a 94 Hilux extra cab and all of a sudden today (both times I drove it) my electrical is wigging out. I turn my heater on high and my voltage meter and speedometer dip and my lights dim AND my stereo reboots. What the!?!? Also the same happens if I flip on my turn signal.
Anyone have an idea that can solve this?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
any one monkey with the dash recently?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 PM

Better check that alternator. Multiple gauge anomalies and dimming lights are signs of a charging circuit issue. They are absolutely symptoms of a drop in your electrical system's voltage. Might want to go check to see if it will start.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Charchee
Better check that alternator. Multiple gauge anomalies and dimming lights are signs of a charging circuit issue. They are absolutely symptoms of a drop in your electrical system's voltage. Might want to go check to see if it will start.
Got in the truck this morning and everything was fine. Turn signal on, stereo didn't flinch and gauges didn't dip. Maybe I just left my headlights on the night prior or something. I was suspecting the alternator, but now I'll just keep an eye on things and see if it happens again. Hopefully it "fixed itself."
Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
any one monkey with the dash recently?
No sir.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Don't forget simple things that cost almost nothing- check ALL your connections, at least from battery to fuse block and from battery to ground. Good electrical connections should have bare, shiny metal securely contacting bare, shiny metal.

Originally Posted by Charchee
Better check that alternator....
Originally Posted by Brock Lee
... I was suspecting the alternator, but now I'll just keep an eye on things and see if it happens again. Hopefully it "fixed itself."
When I suspected issue with my alternator, I got
this volt-meter "><span style= this volt-meter " /> this volt-meter "> this volt-meter
that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. (Someday I'll hardwire one in.) Gives you more exact reading than an analog needle gauge. Healthy charging system should have 13.5 to 15.1 volts.

BTW, it would help if you put year-model-engine-transmission of your vehicle in your signature. Helps save time for everybody trying to help.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-20-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Search this Thread