86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

turbochargin a 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbochargin a 3vze

As the tittle says i wanna turbocharge my 3.slow on my 91.
i was kinda wondering if there is any one out there that has done and how they did it?
why i am doing it well i have all the parts needed to do this, so its not costing me a thing.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spend your money on a supercharged 3.4.

If you search I think there is a pretty long thread about placing a turbo on the 3vz.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:48 PM

I have not seen one around but I think it would be pretty cool if you can get it to work, everyones going to tell you its a bad idea and the 3.slow is garbage when really its not a bad motor at all
Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 PM

its not a bad motor i beat the piss out of it and it never complains and i am at 255xxxkms. All am gonna do is find a better head gasket and maybe do a port and polish wile i am at it.
and change the exhaust crossover.

The thing is i dont have much money for the 3.4 i do all my work plus i have all the parts needed layin around the turbo is off a 6.7 gm diesel

Last edited by 4runnerguy; 02-12-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
If only there was a feature that you could type in key words and get links to threads that are relevant to your key words... hrmm.. I wonder where one could find something like that..
Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
If only there was a feature that you could type in key words and get links to threads that are relevant to your key words... hrmm.. I wonder where one could find something like that..
LOL I tried searching already just to see, and came up with dead ends.

I would def change the exhaust cross over for sure, Cometic most likely makes head gaskets that will work on the 3.0, they are a forgiving MLS head gasket in simple terms, forgiving in the sense of imperfections in the surfaces of the block and heads. I would also look into ARP head studs which I'm sure are also available for the engine too

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 02-12-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:26 PM

ya thats for sure. I did search but a lot of dead ends. The main thing is i need to know how to run the oil feed and drain?
Plus all be doin this and all be finishing it and putting up pics, vids and maybe dyno tests of the progress. Also for any one else who wants to do it.

Last edited by 4runnerguy; 02-12-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The reason you are running into dead ends, is because no one makes turbo parts for a 3VZ. Why? Because its a terrible engine that doesn't breathe very well and by the time you spend all the money for fuel mapping, stand alone, and custom fabbing a turbo, you can have a supercharged 5VZ WITH fuel mods.

The 3VZ would have to be completely redone in order to make the turbo effective. Can it be done? Sure. You can also turbo a Tercel but it wouldn't make much sense!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 PM

the threads i found here on yotatech 2 guys did complete it and are driving on it i just cant seem to talk to them
Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 PM

The reason you are running into dead ends, is because no one makes turbo parts for a 3VZ. Why? Because its a terrible engine that doesn't breathe very well and by the time you spend all the money for fuel mapping, stand alone, and custom fabbing a turbo, you can have a supercharged 5VZ WITH fuel mods.

The 3VZ would have to be completely redone in order to make the turbo effective. Can it be done? Sure. You can also turbo a Tercel but it wouldn't make much sense!
It really wouldn't be as hard as you think aslong as hes doing his own work, I see alot of more and more interesting things at the track as the years go by. I think it would be cool go for it, Its all about being unique and doing your own thing, alot of people are going to tell you the same thing as just stated above on the forum and they are right to an extent but remember just because its on a forum does NOT make it right... I tell everyone on Supra Forums and Supra Mania the same thing... especially since I have a car that "defys" the rules and standards everyone says on the boards but here again I have proven it time and time again at the yearly meets
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 PM

i just like trying things that not many people have done yet and in my case only 2 or 3 have done it
Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

DC just made a really good point. the 3vze breaths like a smoker with asthma going for a run. in order for me to make my nitrous kit effective (with out killing the motor) i had to put cams and headers on it. another good point is the stand alone and mapping... do you know how much money and work that is? especially on a motor that no one ever puts a turbo on? it would have to be a completely custom motor with a completely custom ECU/MFI system. by the time you get that done you could have had a SC 5VZ, and then some. there was a guy who did a build one time that put 3vz-fe heads on his 3vze and a turbo and he never got it running cause it was simply just too much work. i'll admit that a turbo 3vz would be about the sickest thing i've seen but it would take so much $$$ and work that i don't think i'll ever see one.

a beginner nitrous system is as close as you can get to a 'fast' 3vz without either blowing it up or spending too much money.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're going at this the wrong way... I can fix your Turbo problem for $4.

Go to store, buy cheap hammer, hit over head repeatedly...

On a more serious note... The further back you mount a Turbo, get ready for lag like you've NEVER seen!

Modern Turbo's are great for having less lag than the old ones. But that's no substitute for putting it where the spare tire goes...

Have you been looking at the Corvette Turbo BS? The kit that has them at the exhaust tips? Has you ever seen them test it on TV? The guy revs it for days before he dumps the clutch...
Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cvNXQOCjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cvNXQOCjo
Old 02-13-2010, 05:26 AM

that set up on the vet is crap just look how far the air has to travel
Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4runnerguy
They didn't dyno it, but I'm sure they're got some serious horsepower in that thing. They might have some slight losses due to the length of the tubing, but it's better than stock for sure... STS quotes 600hp at the wheels with 10psi of boost.

Last edited by mastacox; 02-13-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tracey98277
DC just made a really good point. the 3vze breaths like a smoker with asthma going for a run. in order for me to make my nitrous kit effective (with out killing the motor) i had to put cams and headers on it. another good point is the stand alone and mapping... do you know how much money and work that is? especially on a motor that no one ever puts a turbo on? it would have to be a completely custom motor with a completely custom ECU/MFI system. by the time you get that done you could have had a SC 5VZ, and then some. there was a guy who did a build one time that put 3vz-fe heads on his 3vze and a turbo and he never got it running cause it was simply just too much work. i'll admit that a turbo 3vz would be about the sickest thing i've seen but it would take so much $$$ and work that i don't think i'll ever see one.

a beginner nitrous system is as close as you can get to a 'fast' 3vz without either blowing it up or spending too much money.

Still all said and done it really is not as much work as it seems as long as he isn't out boarding anything besides his head work. There are cheap effective stand alone systems out there, it all depends on his capability of reading a wiring diagram... that would be the most expensive part because he if bought a top shelf one then we are talking some money, but even then I really dont feel its that much work. I've built some pretty stupid cars in the past just for laughs and turbo charging a motor is not that hard, now to make it effective and run great thats a different story but here again he will not know until its hooked up, and see where he needs to improve some of his area's at.

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
On a more serious note... The further back you mount a Turbo, get ready for lag like you've NEVER seen!

Thats about the dumbest thing I have ever heard about turbo placement, where you mount the turbo itself does not create lag, if you really think that then I think you need to hit the Honda books or do some real turbo research
Old 02-13-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnerguy
4Runnerguy, I cant see the videos they are not working but if it is the rear mounted turbo kit for the Corvette it is actually very effective, and one of the cool things about the kit is the long piping underneath of the car is about the same length the air would have to travel through all of the intercooler pipes AND the cooler itself so with that said, with the long pipe under the car you do not need to run an intercooler and your charge stays just as cool, IF ANYTHING the only thing I would worry about is the long travel for oil delivery but I'm sure they have that figured out pretty well... Here again if we are worried about turbo placement then this thing must be realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly laggy... lol

Power is almost instant in the Corvettes with this kit, I have driven a couple and they are really neat kits

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 02-13-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Booosted Supra
Thats about the dumbest thing I have ever heard about turbo placement, where you mount the turbo itself does not create lag, if you really think that then I think you need to hit the Honda books or do some real turbo research

Somebody had to say it... Clean your ears out and listen... YOU ARE WRONG.

Skip ahead to 2:50 and listen. Also listen when he hits the ramp... He feathers the gas...

Don't argue with physics, man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtkpLNocL-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMz6khtJGs8

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-13-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 AM

Let me rephrase a little...

You can Turbo a 3VZ... You can even mount the turbo's under the rear bumper... You can put a Ferrari motor in instead... A woman can be a good driver... All things, ok most, that can be done...

As long as you're realistic about what you want, and what you get, sure go for it.

When the name of the game is boosting inlet pressures a Turbo, no matter where it is will do it. And once the inlet pressure is raised you go from a naturally aspirated to a positive charge on the air flow... That WILL give you power, no doubt about it.

Now when you get that power is another story. Also note those Vettes are running STOCK compression ratios. If you can live with the bottom end you have now, and understand boost will not be instant, go for it. That's called being realistic.

But you also have to remember the HG problems. And to me that scraps the whole project right there... Because there is NO WAY I'm gonna tear perfectly good heads off a 3.0 to put better head gaskets on... NO WAY! Just so I can bolt a Turbo on so far down stream, it lives in another time zone

(that's called logic)

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-13-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: turbochargin a 3vze