Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck won't start. Real time help needed.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start. Real time help needed.

Hi again.
I posted earlier in the week about my truck quitting very abruptly. I thought it was my fuel pump and I was partially right. The blue/red power wire that goes to the top of the fuel pump bracket was corroded and broken off. I fixed that and replaced the ground wire as well while I had the bed off. Go to turn the key and it won't start. I bench tested the fuel pump while it was out and it works. I put 12 volts directly to the fuel pump wires with a kill switch, push the button, ask the wife to start the truck and it starts . WTF? I came here to partake of all the wisdom that "Yotatech" has to offer and I came to the conclusion that it was the "EFI Relay" in the fuse block on the passenger side fender well. I made a jumper wire and jumped the two terminals on the left and nothing happens. I jumper the two terminals on the right and as I plug in the second wire, I hear a click and voila, the truck starts . I just got back from my local auto parts store, plugged in the new relay and the truck still will not start . I have no idea as to what the problem is now. So please offer up your wisdom. I am trying to get my girl running again so I can join the rat race on Monday without having to bum a ride from someone. In case it matters to your real world experiences, the truck is a 1991 with a 3.0 V-6, and a 5 speed transmission. The other thing that I did notice is when I go to start the truck with a relay in there is no "check engine light" along with the "brake" and seatbelt" lights on the dash. When I put the jumper in the "CEL: light is on. I can turn a wrench and replace almost anything, but I am not very handy with my crappy little volt meter. So if you are going to offer wisdom on how to test other things please speak slowly and try not to use too big of words . Please help.
Attached Thumbnails Truck won't start.  Real time help needed.-fuseblock.jpg   Truck won't start.  Real time help needed.-jumper.jpg   Truck won't start.  Real time help needed.-fuelpump.jpg  
Old 06-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Circuit open relay? Also, silly question but have you checked ALL the fuses, to make sure one didn't blow when the fule pump wire correded off?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Circuit open relay/ fuses

A friend who was helping me yesterday checked all the fuses, but i will go out and double check. As far as the COR relay goes. We checked it as best we could. He did anyway. He uses a voltmeter better than I do. I do remember him commenting that there was voltage, but not a full 12 volts. IIRC it was around 10 volts? I will search for the testing procedure again and try to check. Friend with all the knowledge is at a car show today.
Thanks
Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
possible bad ignition switch or afm?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if theres only 10 volts then it will try to open but with out a full 12 it wont open all the way causeing you to not start find what wire is only 10 volts and if its a 12+ all the time then just run a jumper and cut that wire done

my truck did the same thing to me so you know what we did to fix this we ran a wire from the fuse panel to a fuse to the pump itself and bam all done its been this way for 3 years and no problems
Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Hats off to "DeathCougar"

Let me try to use as many cliche's as possible.

1.) If you want something done right, do it your damn self.
2.) It's always the last place you look.
3.) Never "assume" it makes and ass out of you and me.
4.) I spend money on things I don't have, on things I don't need, to impress people I don't even like.

It was the 7.5 amp "IGN" fuse in the drivers side kick panel. Started checking and it was blown, replaced it, got my "CEL" back on ignition on and the truck started and ran like a champ. Thank you for your help.

I am now going to put my bed back on and relax.

Thanks again. This board rocks. Anybody need an EFI Relay. I have two spare good ones right now. Put them all in one at a time and the truck fires right up.

Did I say "Thanks"
Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Glad you got her fixed
Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jerbear
2.) It's always the last place you look.
That one cracks me up the most, because I've never noticed, in practice myself, nor from observing anyone else, that anyone continues to search for something once it's been found.

Just kidding, glad you've found your issue. It happens to all of us, trust me.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:10 AM

my99 thats not true i alway and always keap on looking when i fixed something cause you never know what else could be bad and you just not knowing heck i poped a fuse for something i thing it was the parking lights stupid radio and then i kept on looking and what do you know i found out my brake light switch was bad and it must have been that way for a long time too lol i didnt have power on one of the wires so i just taped in a new wire and fixed it cause all the fuses tested out good and all the wires were good but right at the conector so i fixed so ha keep on looking guys cause you just never ever know what else is bad untill you find it!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That was the longest (and most awful) sentence I have ever read. I need a nap.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by My99
That was the longest (and most awful) sentence I have ever read. I need a nap.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:14 AM

my god this is a yota form not english class. (dot)