86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck will start only if I put starter fluid in them die 92 toyota pick up 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck will start only if I put starter fluid in them die 92 toyota pick up 3.0

Hey newbie here. So I have a 92 toyota pick up that I just did a motor swap in. Won't start. It'll turn and turn and turn but nothing unless I put starter fluid in or gas in the throttle then itll run only for a few seconds I'm getting fuel to the injectors and im getting spark checked the timing checked for power to the injectors checked replaced the injectors checked grounds no codes. Side note for some reason i wasnt getting power to the cold wire on the starter so I just went ahead and did a push button start instead. It's a manual trans also. If anyone has any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
for sure you're getting fuel to the injectors? can you hear the fuel pump activate when you turn to start?

Last edited by thook; 06-12-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Is the ignition timing out 180°? How did you determine you were getting fuel to the injectors? How did you determine you were getting "power" to the injectors? Did you try to confirm if the injectors were opening? Is your induction plumbing all connected? What is the "cold" wire on a starter?
Old 06-13-2017, 08:07 PM

I pulled the injectors off still connected to the fuel rail and they were firing. At first the timing was off 180 but I lined it up. So now here's something. I got it started for a few minutes last night after changing the mafs then it died again. Checked for spark no spark no power to the distributor and no power to the mafs (or afm) and the check engine light doesn't come on when I turn the key checked the 30 amp and 40 amp fuse under the hood and they're good. So now I'm scratching my head again. Need to get this running cause I have to go back to work in a couple days and my wife is on bed rest for a month.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Is the ignition timing out 180°? How did you determine you were getting fuel to the injectors? How did you determine you were getting "power" to the injectors? Did you try to confirm if the injectors were opening? Is your induction plumbing all connected? What is the "cold" wire on a starter?
The "Cold" wire is the one that goes to the starter solenoid
Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 PM

Also I should mention is that this truck has one of the chips you take out so nobody can steal it like a starter interrupter sorta