86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck lost power and died (89 3.0)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck lost power and died (89 3.0)

So on my way to work today, after a stop light and going up a slight hill I felt my truck loose power. So I pulled over the the shoulder and put it in nuetral. It rolled for a bit before the engine died. Popped the hazards on and started cranking it over. After about 5 or 6 attempts it fired back up again and I went on my way without any further issues. The CEL never came on.

What could have caused this? I replaced my fuel filter a little over a year ago, spark plugs and wires were last summer. And I still have over half a tank of gas. Would this be the injectors, fuel pump? Or something else?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:57 AM

I have an 89 4Runner 3.0 with about 186.5K miles on it and it did something similar. The loss of power was intermitten for a while, then one day it just lost power full time. It ended up being a fuel injector. But I had 4 ECL codes. We checked it by starting it up and one by one pulling the plug wire from the distributor until we identified which cylinder was misfiring. Then, we did a compression check on that cylinder which was definately not the problem. This led us to check the injectors. Once we got that injector out it was very obvious it was jacked up. Just to be safe, I change out all the injectors. It drives better now than it has since I've owned it (a little over 3 years)

Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:02 AM

i pray you dont go through all of the crap that we went through here it is:https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/reving-motor-during-driving-83431/
Old 03-09-2007, 07:08 AM

I'll check for codes tonight, I know it can still store them without ever kicking the light on. And thanks for the info, I want some advice on this before I start replacing stuff at random.

I also did a compression check last summer, and all 6 cylinders were good. I can't remember the numbers now, but for having over 230k I was happy. And I still average 18mpg
Old 03-09-2007, 08:44 AM

Did a search for fuel injectors and came upon this thread. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=injectors

Sounds like that is the problem, so I will be checking my injectors this weekend.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 AM

It did the same thing to me at lunch when I started it up. Struggled to idle, was idling between 200-300 rpms. It took a couple minutes to get it started again.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 89 3.0 was doing a similar thing whenever it was wet out. Sounded like it was only firing on some of the cylinders.

I never got down to troubleshooting it because a couple months later there was a loud bang followed by a lot of grinding noises. Pulling over and checking the engine revealed oil everywhere and a nice big hole in the side of the block where the con-rod went through.

So now the 3.4 swap is in the works
Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks again for the info on similar problems. It left me stranded at a hobby shop 12 miles from home tonight. Then I thought that there could be a chance one of my wires to the computer was bad, since Infinity had issues with a bad computer. Well on my truck when I moved the computer and hammered back the pinch weld, I noticed the wires for the computer were starting to corrode from road salt. The pinch weld was rusted through right by the wires. I cut out all of the bad metal in that area and welded in a patch panel.

So after 10 minutes of trying to start it up, and having it idle around 100-200 rpms if it ran at all I started looking around for a cause to this. Once I thought of the wires, sure enough one of the plugs had one very corroded but empty terminal hole... Then I found a loose wire. I keep a box of the emergency self tapping wire connectors in my truck. So a couple minutes later I had a temp fix and its running again.

So one bad wire caused all my problems. At least I was able to figure this out before even spending a dime on parts. I might not of checked this if it wasn't for you infinity, thanks for the post
Old 03-16-2007, 06:35 AM

Well Tuesday night I went to start my truck so I could head up to Napa and get some more wiring connectors for my landcruiser that I was rewiring. And my truck would not start.... Narrowed it down to the fuel pump, I'll be changing that out this weekend if all goes well.

So it must have just been dumb luck that my truck started again after I fixed the loose wire I found last week.....
Old 03-26-2007, 05:07 AM

Figured I would give one last final update to this thread. After dropping the tank, I found the problem was not the pump. But the fuel pump bracket, and the main power feed wire. The wire had corroded at the base of the bracket.

So I removed the bracket, breaking 3 out of 7 bolts in the process. I drained the rest of the fuel out. Monday after work I went to the dealer ship and picked up a new bracket. I also tried pulling out the broken bolts with a ezout, but the ezout broke instantly. It was getting dark out, so I called it a night. Tuesday I flushed the tank with water, then filled it again and let it sit over night. Drained it again, and removed 2 of the bolts with ezouts. The third one had a ezout stuck in it, and I didn't have much luck drilling it out. Friday night I put everything back together and installed the tank again.

After a bit of turning over, it did fire up again. And I drove it all weekend without any more issues

It was out for a total of 10 days, I drove my FJ40 to work every single day last week. Only got pulled over once, for lack of a front plate which is legal because of the year. And got a verbal warning for being 1 inch above the legal limit, and no rear mud flaps or body panels covering the backside of the rear tires.