86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trouble removing heater fan switch 1994 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble removing heater fan switch 1994 pickup[SOLVED]

I have a 1994 Toyota pickup. I'm trying to replace the speed fan switch for the heater blower. I was able to remove everything okay but I'm not able to get the switch out. What I have read and watched on Youtube is that the switch should just push back. I cannot get it to budge. Is there a trick to getting that switch out? It looks like it should just slide out?
Thank you for any help!

Last edited by yetiboy; 09-13-2016 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Trouble solved
Old 09-12-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
If I recall there are screws holding it in that go in from the front
Old 09-12-2016, 01:59 PM

Yeah, there are three screws that hold the whole controller assembly but this is just the fan switch. I don't see any screws on it. I have studied the replacement switch and I can't see any screw holes in it. thanks
What I have read is that it should just push back but I can't get it to move.

Last edited by yetiboy; 09-12-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:15 PM

there are 2-3 small clips on top of the fan switch that holds it to the dash assembly. Try not to break them... but don't worry... you will break them. Once the fan switch is free you can see where it plugs into the electrical. I replaced my fan switch last year and broke the clips and used superglue to keep the switch in place. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:02 PM

Thank you. It appears that you have to pull the whole top of the dash to get to the controller assembly. So does the switch slide back to remove?
Old 09-12-2016, 03:32 PM

I believe (my '92 Runner w/air conditioning) the fan switch assembly slides back but only after using a small flat-bladed screwdriver to push the black tab-clip off of it in the rear of the fan switch assembly. As I recall, there are 3 clips holding the fan switch assembly into place... one on each side and one in the rear. The clips are from the dash, not the fan switch, so you have to really be careful when you insert a very small screwdriver in there to push the clips off the switch. Like I said... you'll probably break them, then use glue or something that won't last... and, if you are like me... just live with a loose (but functioning) fan switch.

FYI - it helps to pull out (twist & pull) the climate control light bulb out of the assembly as it is wired directly into the fan switch and the two wires to the light are very short. So, take the clear/opaque plastic climate control piece off and push the bulb back until it is free... that makes it easier to push the fan switch assembly back (actually toward the front of your truck) to remove it.

There is a photo of it here: https://www.yotashop.com/heater-blow...r-t100-tacoma/

and a fan switch write-up here where you can see where those three tab-type clips hold onto the switch assembly (again, one on each side, and one in the rear):
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53669.0

Last edited by GO_BLUE!; 09-12-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:10 PM

ok,

after watching mr. David Owens's youtube video (he took his dash apart far more than I did)... there are SIX clips, 3 on each side. I wasn't able to just "slide the switch back". I had to use a tiny flat-blade eyeglass screwdriver to free up the fan switch from the clips, and then use that same screwdriver to release the electrical connection from the back of the switch to get it to "slide" toward the front of your truck.

Six tab-type clips. 3 on each side. and the electrical connector clip. You can see the clips @6:10 and again @6:27 of the video here:

Last edited by GO_BLUE!; 09-12-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
I see now why my post made no sense someone had swapped something else into my 4Runner my switch looks nothing like yours.

It looks like the climate control has been replaced
Old 09-13-2016, 03:44 AM

I finally got it out. There was a metal spring tab on top of the switch. I stuck a thin screw driver through on the top, on the front of the switch and it popped right out. One of the black tabs did break. After hours of studying mine I noticed that the switch it self could move ever so slight back and forth. It appears that the black clips just keep it help up not from sliding back. I finally guessed something was holding it from the top. If you look at the side that faces up into the controller assembly you can see a almost square indent where the lever is on the skinny part. That is where the metal tab locked it into place. If I have to replace it ever again I will use a thin piece of metal instead of the screwdriver. Then I'm sure I wouldn't break any of the tabs.
Thanks for all your replies. GO BLUE thank you for your thorough responses, they really helped.