Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trouble with my '86 22RE Turbo (High RPM/Slow roll)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with my '86 22RE Turbo (High RPM/Slow roll)

Hey guys,

So recently I've got a new issue, and I'm scratching my head figuring out whats going on. It only started happening, and is kind of intermittent at this point. When I start up the truck/Stop at a stop sign/Red light, etc... when I step on the Gas the truck just kind of..slowly rolls forward. I can step harder, and get the RPM's going up, and once my Turbo kicks in (Don't know if this is a threshold, or just where I notice it happens) if I release the Gas, and press again, now I'll begin moving.

here's a few things I've done for testing:
If I press gas/Release quickly, it continues doing this 'slow roll' where I'll ramp up to about 10KM
If I press on the Gas and continue, once it ramps up passed a certain RPM, the transmission will switch gears, and I'll suddenly be flying down the road (This is uhh..super sketchy way of driving, obviously)
If I press, let the RPM's ramp up, and then release, and press again, I begin to drive like a normal human being.
If I slow down, but don't stop, it doesn't do this. Its only after a full stop.

Anyone else have this issue before, or know of what might be the cause? I'm drawing a blank at this point.

Edit: Switched from Over Drive to..Not Over drive, and it stopped doing it. Could be a thingy, could just be shear luck, as its intermittent..

Last edited by Jesse-James; 08-20-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:15 AM

Ran another test today.

Cold started, and she wouldn't go (Reversing out of garage) She'd rev, but just back up at lower then 10Km/h. I clicked over drive Off (Last time I turned it on) and suddenly, she began going.
I also took notice, my Over Drive light doesn't appear to be working. I'm wondering if this could be electrical or transmission based now...

Again, if anyone has seen this before, you'd be a great help!
Old 08-21-2016, 01:57 PM

Sounds like a transmission issue. Like it is staying in high gear when you come to a stop. Try manually shifting it when you come to a stop and see what that does.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by boobiebuzzard
Sounds like a transmission issue. Like it is staying in high gear when you come to a stop. Try manually shifting it when you come to a stop and see what that does.
It doesn't stay in a high gear. It's generally only when I first start it up/If I don't ever change gears. So..maybe its getting stuck in a high gear when I turn it off at night/at work or something?

Manually shifting at this point fixes the issue. The last owner did put an Electric start in there. I bring that up, because it caused some issues with the truck actually starting to begin with. I'm wondering if maybe there is a crossed wire or something within the actual shifter now. Gonna rip that apart, do a Tranny fuel/Filter change. And hope to God its not something slipping.