86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trouble codes and interesting senario

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble codes and interesting senario

Been getting poor gas mileage with cold start issues. Rough idle till warm. Widely varying mpg from 12 to 18 driving easy. Black soot in tail pipe and soot blast to ground on start up I think is a sign of a rich condition? Not smooth when given throttle, rough rumble shake of motor when given and holding a little throttle.

Today I checked codes and it gave three mass air flow, 02 sensor and throttle position sensor. So I pulled and blew out some connections tested tps with volt meter seemed OK that is if I did test correctly. O2 gave one volt at idle and movement when warmed up but my meter does not show the varying volts very well. During the process I noticed the truck seemed to start running much better. NO more miss when giving it throttle, seems to have smoothed out a lot. Reset the codes and re checked and only one check engine flash which = no trouble codes present as it should after reset. I took the truck for a good twenty mile drive and it really seemed to run much better. Rechecked the codes again when I got home and it still shows one flash no trouble codes.

Could have blowing out the connections and resetting the codes really have done something to help our issues? Very interested to see how long it goes with no codes and what gas mileage we get now. OH yeah the check engine light would only come on every now and then and only for a second before doing the code check. Any input always appreciated.

Last edited by jazzmandolin; 02-04-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After sitting overnight I went out and fired her up she ran normal at first but eventually started to do the little idle speed drop and rise thing again not much but a little. Also its not bogging down or missing and shaking when applying throttle nearly as much as it was but still just a little. Still no new codes have come up even with the little bit of rise and fall of the rpm at idle.

Wish I had more experience with these things but I do not. Looks like the 02 sensor is original at 95,000 miles so I think at 29.95 minus todays 20% off online purchases from Advance I am going to order a new denso direct fit 02 sensor just to know its new and see if I notice any difference in our gas mileage.

Really feel we should be getting consistent 15 mpg plus driving 55 and 60 mph even with it being the smallest version toyota camper. 86 22re 4 speed manual, a pop top so no big cab over to create wind resistance, no bath room or water holding tanks just a small ac dc fridge forced air furnace and two burner stove. Something just does not seem right as sometimes it gets good mileage at 17 18 mpg and others it will only get 12 or 13 and this is with consistently the same style of driving like I got an egg under my gas pedal. Just sayin I think anyone that advertises they are getting 22 plus mpg out of their toyota motorhomes are blowing smoke. Except maybe for some of the older 20r Chinooks?