Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trashed my rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
can't wait to see......
Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I know it's been awhile, and I haven't gotten any pics up, but I'm working on that. I swapped in the LC coils and shocks in the rear, and I LOVE it. Only thing is that there is a decent rake on the truck now. I was doing an oil change this morning, and the thought hit me.... Hey, I still have those 4runner rear shocks lying around..... Wonder if they would work up front??? so I looked them over, and they seem to be almost identical to the front shocks, but about 8" longer. I am wanting to give this a shot, because I do want to lift the front here soon, but I will have to use BJ spacers, cuz I'm a broke college kid. I will probably get some upgraded T-bars as well(after 380k, I think it's time), so I'm hopin to get a little bit that way. Just thought I would see what y'all think about this, as I have never done anything like this before.(Front Shocks... I did the rears just me my dad and my lil bro.) I feel like I have the ability, just not sure about the science of it, and am hoping to get some more experienced advice. Thanks guys.
P.S. I know the pics are huge, I'll try and resize the next ones.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 PM

alright, so I'm finally posting pics (sorry for the delay, just keep running out of time.)
these are after I installed the FJ 80 coils and shocks in the rear, now I'm looking to get some longer shocks up front, and get some bj spacers, as well as some heavier duty t-bars, thinking about OME, but suggestions are always welcome.

this is my 15 year old brother, for reference. He is about 5'10", so gives you an idea how flexed the truck is.

still lovin it, but the center of gravity change took some gettin used to. Like I said, if y'all have any suggestions for t-bars, let me know, I'm lookin to get some slightly stiffer ones, mine are the originals, so they're kinda soft(only 385k on 'em). Thanks guys, hope you enjoyed it.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks sick man!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks man, you too. Gotta love cheap mods, lol!!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:40 PM

So, I was out playin again today, and lost 4-wheel-drive. I had been trying to climb a hill for about 30 mins, (up and down, up and down) and hit a couple of bumps, nothing too hard I thought. Then I hear this noise, kinda a combination of a ratchet and a clunck, and presto, no 4-wheel-drive. My cv axles are fine, so what else could it be? I'm thinkin my ADD actuator may have messed up, my transfer case went bad, or my differential may be fried, (but then I don't think it would drive). Any ideas? like I said, it drives fine, smooth, all that, just the front wheels don't pull in 4WD.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobertson4runnner
So, I was out playin again today, and lost 4-wheel-drive. I had been trying to climb a hill for about 30 mins, (up and down, up and down) and hit a couple of bumps, nothing too hard I thought. Then I hear this noise, kinda a combination of a ratchet and a clunck, and presto, no 4-wheel-drive. My cv axles are fine, so what else could it be? I'm thinkin my ADD actuator may have messed up, my transfer case went bad, or my differential may be fried, (but then I don't think it would drive). Any ideas? like I said, it drives fine, smooth, all that, just the front wheels don't pull in 4WD.
I could very well be that your ADD actuator quit, but make sure you didn't just lose a vacuum line that goes to the actuator first. I know mine is pretty oil-coated at the moment.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Better be careful or your going to learn some more lessons the hard way. That exhaust is an "oh crap" waiting to happen off road. The original post looks like you spin your tires alot. I learned the hard in canyon country done your way that the rock will shred tires with the slightest of ease.

As for the lastest damage, I'm assuming but I've seen, well heard is a better discription, it once on a jeep. When the tcase chain was stretched and jumping teeth. But could be the ADD, doubt the diff as a 4.10 has 9 to 10 teeth messed together at any given time. Thats a lot of teeth to break at once.

Looks good on the 33s with LC coils, whens the new bumper coming?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Better be careful or your going to learn some more lessons the hard way. That exhaust is an "oh crap" waiting to happen off road. The original post looks like you spin your tires alot. I learned the hard in canyon country done your way that the rock will shred tires with the slightest of ease.

As for the lastest damage, I'm assuming but I've seen, well heard is a better discription, it once on a jeep. When the tcase chain was stretched and jumping teeth. But could be the ADD, doubt the diff as a 4.10 has 9 to 10 teeth messed together at any given time. Thats a lot of teeth to break at once.

Looks good on the 33s with LC coils, whens the new bumper coming?
Not sure what u mean by looks like i spin my tires a lot, unless ur talking about the a/t's I had. They were about a year and a half old, and had 25k on 'em, but they're only a 50 k tire, so they wear out kinda quick. I already knew about the exhaust being a problem, just haven't had time to really figure anything out on it yet.

Anyway, I try to take it easy off road, cuz this is my DD too, so nothing too crazy. Just misjudged a drop that time. How hard is it to replace or fix the chain on the tcase, I don't have much experience with that. The bumper is looking farther and farther away, too many other things are coming up.

So, since my rims are all messed up, I have decided to paint them. I will be using Rustoleum Wheel Paint in Graphite, and we will see how that turns out. I'll post up some pics later in the week when I finish the job.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobertson4runnner
Not sure what u mean by looks like i spin my tires a lot, unless ur talking about the a/t's I had. They were about a year and a half old, and had 25k on 'em, but they're only a 50 k tire, so they wear out kinda quick. I already knew about the exhaust being a problem, just haven't had time to really figure anything out on it yet.

Anyway, I try to take it easy off road, cuz this is my DD too, so nothing too crazy. Just misjudged a drop that time. How hard is it to replace or fix the chain on the tcase, I don't have much experience with that. The bumper is looking farther and farther away, too many other things are coming up.

So, since my rims are all messed up, I have decided to paint them. I will be using Rustoleum Wheel Paint in Graphite, and we will see how that turns out. I'll post up some pics later in the week when I finish the job.
Tires in the picture looked to me like you had been spinning to get to where you were. I did that on a bit of valcanic rock, the stuff with the hollow pockets in the rock and it shredded the tire in no time. And I wasn't fast spinning the tire just slipped traction and boom. Thank goodness for Walmarts road hazard plan. Was on a Corolla backing into a camping spot to unload with a ground guide.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 PM

oh, ok. No, I hadn't spun them, that stuff was all really mild, so I had no reason to even think of spinning them. Thanks for the advice tho, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:21 PM

once again, it's been awhile, but here's the latest.

I drove about two hours away from here(Austin) to go visit my grandparents for christmas. All was well, truck ran great, did fine, all that jazz. On the way back, my intake got ridiculously loud, and the engine started to tick. I also began to lose paper. I drove it for about 2 days, but eventually lost so much power that driving in traffic was impossible. Took it to the mechanic, and they said that I was basically ruining my truck because I don't have Nippon-Denso parts in it. Ok, I know Denso parts are better for it, but come on. Anyway, the guy also told me that my thrust bearings were shot, and it was time for a new engine. He then proceeded to tell me that the 3vze was a bad engine all around, and he had owned 3 of them, and had been working on toyotas for 25 years. I thought he looked like he hadn't been alive for more than 25 years. Granted, the VeeZee isn't the best engine Toyota ever made, but I think it's a pretty darn good engine. I mean, at 385 k mine pushed my 33x12.50 Mudders, spun them once in a while, and still got 15mpg around town.

Anyway, after that I called a guy I know that works at a custom shop that does engine swaps, and I asked him how hard it would be to swap in a V8. After some talking, we figured out I could do an entire engine/tranny swap for around $3000, or I could buy another veezee for 3 grand. I decided to go with the V8, so I'm in the midst of saving up some money. Once i get the engine swap done I'm gonna see about fixing my front end, and making my 4wd work again, so I can whip my buddies Heep . It's all a work-in-progress, but I'll get it done before too long.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
relocate your rear trac bar down level with the axle and you'll lose your rear bumpsteer
Old 02-07-2011, 02:53 PM

bumpsteer??