Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Transmission wont hook back up to the engine.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission wont hook back up to the engine.

Ok, I blew up my 3VZe a few weeks ago. I decided to go the swap route because it was cheaper.

So I got the old engine out, got the new engine ready to go. Now as I am trying to put the new engine into the engine bay the transmission doesn't want to hook back up to the engine. I am out of ideas and need help.

R150 transmission. I did use a clutch alignment tool to get the clutch on properly. So far I have tried just pushing the engine onto the transmission... Failed at that so I tried to push the transmission up and onto the engine... that didn't work. Then out of frustration I attempted to put some mechanical advantage on it via cargo strap and cross members... nothing.

Would it be easier to just take the transmission off the truck, bolt the engine in place, then put the transmission back up. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, that'd be a little easier. Getting the input shaft of the trans to line up perfectly with the clutch pilot bearing is even a hassle like that too. I can't imagine trying to do it the ways you've tried. It really takes a trans jack to do it easily. Even then it can be stubborn as all get out.

Just keep trying...it'll go eventually. Don't kill yourself trying though. Take breaks when you need them. And try and avoid having the transmission fall on ya while you're under there. It's pretty heavy. I hate it when that happens.

Oh...my favorite trick, since I don't own a trans jack, is to put straps around the transmission. Then after removing one of the doors from the cab, sneak a cherry picker in there and lift it through the hole in the floor for the shifters. I've found as it's floating there at the right height, it's alot easier to guide it home.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-18-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can hook a ratchet strap under the tranny between the torsion bars to raise/lower it.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
keep the motor lifted up in the air a tad bit and just swing it and "massage" it into place while someone under the truck starts some of the bolts, all whyile the transmission is hel up by ratchet straps going from frame rail to frame rail under the transmission to support. then once a few of the bigger bolts are in and most others are started undo the straps on the tranny and lower the motor down the last few inches. thats how i did mine
Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a very good memory doing this, but when I replaced the clutch, it helped to get extra bolts that were the same size and cut the heads off making them into studs. Not sure it will help you align the engine to the transmission, but it helped aligning my transmission to my engine. The only thing is I forgot how I got the studs out after that. I don't think I threaded them in too much, so it was probably easy to get out.

Just an idea.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you have the clutch alignment tool pushed in ALL the way?

Just another thought to add to everyones ideas
Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 PM

wiggle the transfer case output shaft when your trying to put the tranny in. and make sure the tranny is in gear
Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by gary96360
wiggle the transfer case output shaft when your trying to put the tranny in. and make sure the tranny is in gear
^^^^
This is prob your issue.

make sure ur trans is in gear, if the driveshaft is still attached have someone rock the truck a little (I mean a little). If the driveshaft is unhooked, do as gary suggested. What ur trying to accomplish is, making the input shaft of the trans move a little so it will slide thru the clutch plate. And it only has to turn just enough for the teeth to align.

Last edited by pinoaktwh; 01-19-2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

I was going to suggest taking the rear end up off the ground and try spinnning the tires so the shaft moved a bit as the engine was being installed:dunno

Repo
Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 AM

I figured out that the tranny had to be in gear about half way through my fiddling around with it. So I put it in gear and tried everything i had before again.

I think I am going to get a few ratchet straps, and possibly a buddy to help me out. Muscle her on and hope that nothing else decides to be a pain.

Failing that I will drop the transmission, hook everything else up, truck it to a garage and pay them to do it... The cheap scotsman in me would prefer I didn't do that one though.

Last edited by ravenlord; 01-19-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: adding more.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
You might need to lift up on the trans. Usually when you pull the motor the front of the bell housing sags down a bit and causes a misalignment.

Whatever you do, don't try to pull the trans and motor together by cranking the bolts in. This bellhousing is aluminum and WILL crack with too much pressure applied.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 AM

Thank's for all the help.

I ended up jacking the engine back up a few inches and got lucky with the alignment. Because the pilot shaft slid right into its bearing and hooked right up.