Sponsored by: DashLynx

transmission woes g58 r150f adapters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission woes g58 r150f adapters?

So to start the trucks a 94 4runner 4cyl 5spd 4x4 tan with rear fold down seats

Story:
Went to the coast, drove on the beach. When ever in a slow situation i drop to 4 low because my 22re lacks (to say the least) power to move my full bodied runner. so i play out in the sand, nothing super exciting. mostly crawling through driftwood. everything is fine, none the wiser.

Driving home the next day1/3rd the way home from Astoria to Portland cruising up a hill in third i hear what seems to be my new mud flaps caught backwards and dragging on my tire. Toss the flashers on and im out the door getting ready to continue on home but the noise is still there. I am stopped at this point. Now my experience is that mud flaps don't make noise when your not moving. so i kill the motor. Look for a dreaded oil leak dripping through my bell-housing, (second thought was a broke a pressure finger on my pressure plate). Nothing. at this point i know something is up with the tranny. A couple years ago i lost my input shaft to counter shaft gear driving from ashland to portland. I fixed that one to feel good about my first tranny experience until now. I look around and decide to start her up, last time i lost all my gears but 1:1 ratio of 4th gear. i got all the way home last time but was confused when i had 1st 2nd, opps bad noise in 3rd, and my angel 4th gear. I cruise 4th almost all the way home, wash the sand off and park the truck to be worked on the next day.

Next Day:
Went fishin to releave my woes
Next Day:
Get the tranny out in about 3hrs dislodge the transfer set it in the corner. yada yada transmission cases are off and intermediate plate is sitting in my vice ready to look at some gears shafts and bad bad bad oil. i completely blew through 3rd gear and counter 3rd gear (one piece counter shaft). so i need some bearings a couple gears and a counter shaft. Still planning a rebuild. Bad news, take a break and go three spaces back, do not collect 200 dollars. later on i start takeing more apart and see that my output shaft has been worn away by the 13 needle bearing between the inputshaft. add another part to the list. Call the parts guy (Glen Jenner at All Trans in Port. awsome guy helped allot last time). No used parts, new parts are $$$.

Ok so now i can look for a used g58 on CList and rebuild and put in. (i will definitly rebuild a CList find). nothing et but stilll looking. i did find a r150f out of a 98. Also found an Advanced adapter http://advanceadapters.com/product/2214/712562.html to hook up r150f to my 22re. sweet, $450, engh whatever if it works. My problem lies with transfer case.

I have what i thought to be a gear driven but it seems to be a 26 spline chain found on runners with ADD(auto diff disconnect). the r150f has 23 spline output so i need a 23 spline input for my transfer but not this http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...products_id=33 because i am chain apparently. So i don't know if this will work with my current transfer.

Other option is i have a tranny i bought with my motor 5 years ago that dose not bolt up to my transfer, i belive w56 of some sort. I could rebuild and go get a new transfer. Will an older transfer fit up to everything in my 4runner? double cases would be a cool option in the future but i don't think my stock unit is of any help for a gear on gear reduction double so i try not to think about it.

I like the idea of the r150f because its a newer model and sources tell me its stronger.

But what to do, will my r150f idea work, will old tranny with bought transfer case go easiest, or should i wait to find a g58 to throw in there.

I thought i was done but motor swap in the future would potentially be a 7m (r150f good), 2rz/3rz (r150f good), diesel (dosen't fit any option.

Thanks i have some beer and a to wait and see some opinions
Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just pulled a w56 out of my bros 84...

$300

In Wa...not that far of a drive...could deliver if you want for some extra gas $$

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/1111612127.html

Steven
Old 04-10-2009, 12:04 PM

ive got a w56ish tranny in my shop, if i went that option i would need an older transfer case to mount up. thanks though

And i applaud all that read that whole thing, sometimes i type and forget to shorten my ideas to a point. probably from school needing a 10 page paper on 2 pages of info
Old 04-11-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just buy a xfer case then mount it to th w56...its something like 36% (?) stronger than the g series...
Old 04-11-2009, 12:15 PM

I was waiting for some reassurance on just getting a transfer.

I believe i will have some spacing issues with the shifters by doing this. not a huge problem but something to think about.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:31 PM

holy moly, i think i hit it. I still have some skeptiscisim bought i found a r151f bell to transfer on clist and just brought her home. i think that will pretty much cover what i need to do.

However my little woe is i am not positive about my 22re output spline and the r151f input spline being the same, i will go check in the morning but other than that i think i am good to go