Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Transmission getting hot?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission getting hot?

I have rebuilt my1994 3vze engine,( head job and new gaskets) Replaced, cat, O2 sensor, modulator valve, all vacuume lines, inner, outer tie rods, power steering pump, alternator, timing belt, water pump, flushed 3 times radiator, new calipers, front rotors, and tires. I drove for the first time today over 150 miles. I noticed the transmission shifter was so hot I couldn't touch it for longer than 15 seconds. Does this mean I have a transmission problem? I did have a transmission problem as first gear was slipping until I put some Lucas transmission fix oil in and the shifting seems well but I am not sure. does the heat mean I need a transmission or radiator problem or is the heat normal....

Thanks for your respponse

Anthony
Old 11-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you talking about the metal around the base of the shifter? BTW 15 seconds seems like a long time to touch something hot. The shifter is connected to the tranny by a long linkage bar, so I'm thinking the heat on the shifter could be coming from the engine and exhaust system more than the tranny. Was it getting hot mainly at highway speeds? That's when the air flow from the engine bay would be blown straight down the tranny tunnel, and when mine gets the hottest. Actually the whole floor around tunnel gets hot. Do you still have the factory exhaust crossover? Do you still have the factory heat shield behind the crossover (the foil looking insulation stuck to the fire wall)?

If the ATF gets over about 305 degrees F the tranny temp light will come on. If the engine coolant gets over about 240 F the factory temp gauge will start to move up from the middle of the center mark.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the response... I notice there is no insulation above the transmission. I can see there used to be something there but not anymore. I am going to make some type of insulation and screw it in so it wont come off.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Center Console and Shifter Getting HOT!

Hi everyone i recently bought a 93 4runner SR5 Automatic 6cyl
ive notice the same exact problem on mine after driving it for 10 min either freeway or surface streets the shifter starts to get hot , how ever if you turn the A/C it will cool it down pretty quickly, i did notice no insulation above the transmission also but i see the exhaust coming on the other side of the linkage
any ideas on what might cause this?
i have replace the oil on the transmission and coolant also replace the catalytic converter, because a mechanic said that the catalytic might be clogged up and generating heat on the exhaust

thanks again
Old 10-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
They get really hot. Probably nothing to worry about.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kymo2.0
Hi everyone i recently bought a 93 4runner SR5 Automatic 6cyl
ive notice the same exact problem on mine after driving it for 10 min either freeway or surface streets the shifter starts to get hot , how ever if you turn the A/C it will cool it down pretty quickly
My 1994 pickup (3.0) is the same way. Why does it cool down whem the a/c is on?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

:jessica: Your in Texas it is July!!!

Now if your in Wyoming in winter and your shifter gets hot you might have a problem.

The heat from the engine from the transmission from the exhaust then drive 150 miles of course it will get hot!!

All that heat just soaks into the metal about like touching the top of the radiator

To be safe keep a eye on your trans fluid.

In the summer herein Pa my transmission tunnel gets so hot on a long drive my right foot gets hot through my work boots.

Now it is not really that hot but hot to the touch of your bare skin.:jessica:
Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane
My 1994 pickup (3.0) is the same way. Why does it cool down whem the a/c is on?
Bump can anybody explain why having the A/C on cools down the transmission? I find this odd...
Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The A/C on increases the engine speed if at idle by ~20% if your vacuum system is working properly. Your fan is belt driven by engine speed, so faster fan moves more air over the rear crossover past the transmission instead of building that heat up in the engine compartment. Your factory tran cooler is also in the radiator... Lastly, the cooler cabin temp I suppose makes stuff in the cabin, like shifters, cooler.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by RSR
The A/C on increases the engine speed if at idle by ~20% if your vacuum system is working properly. Your fan is belt driven by engine speed, so faster fan moves more air over the rear crossover past the transmission instead of building that heat up in the engine compartment. Your factory tran cooler is also in the radiator... Lastly, the cooler cabin temp I suppose makes stuff in the cabin, like shifters, cooler.
Makes sense...thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on auto transmissions you do need to be very careful not to over heat the trans, you cook your TC and you're toast. I'm doing a transmission swap right now actually.

never had my shifter get hot before, and my A/C doesn't work. but then again I have a 4cyl not the 6cyl, it does run cooler.

but also ATF doesn't work properly at to cool of temp, between 150-300 degrees is normal for a trans, you have a A.T.Temp light on your dash so unless that is lighting up I don't believe theres a problem.

like previously said tho, if its only happening in the summer when its already hot out, but not when its been cold then it may just be a weather thing, I live in CenCal, so I haven't had to much heat.