Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Trading a truck for 4 Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trading a truck for 4 Runner compatability?

Ok, not sure if I will actually do it, but I have been considering trading a buddy of mine. He has an 88 or 89 4Runner with the 22re and 5 speed. Overall it is in pretty decent shape, only missing a few minor parts.

My 90 pickup is a great truck, but it has lots of little issues that need to be dealt with. Things like dash lights that have burnt out, high beams no longer work unless you hold the stalk back and more. All of them are little niggly things that could be resolved with a bit of cash and time.

His plan for the 4Runner is currently to strip out the dash, engine and computer components and put them into his 88 22r pickup. If I was to do this, I will take my engine out (the engine in the 4Runner works fine but it doesn't have the upgrades mine does) and put it in the 4Runner then he will take the engine from the 4Runner to likely put into my truck.

His truck right now has issues in the engine and trans, and he has had trouble with this engine quite a bit. He and I could swap the engine in a day and have the 4Runner ready to run. The advantage is that the 4Runner has more passenger space than my truck does, and should be a bit more comfortable for me to drive to work. It also allows us to have another way to haul the kids, right now we only have a Durango for this duty as 5 people won't fit in a Toyota pickup.

So, caveats, things to beware of, or concerns with this idea? Is there anything on my engine that won't transfer over, or that I will need to swap? What are the weak points in the 4Runners to watch out for?

I have honestly liked the 4Runners for quite a while, although I don't dislike my truck. I just want something with a bit more space, and this is an opportunity that doesn't exactly roll around every day. I know that the total list of fixes my truck needs have to be completed by March, so this may resolve some of that list in a single shot.

Right now my truck needs:

Dash light for fuel gauge (half the dash is dark, all my driving is at night)
Front pinion seal replaced
Exhaust manifold replaced (cracked)
New exhaust
High beam selector replaced
Driver's door window regulator
Driver's door interior handle
Gas door lock (key broke off in lock)
All keys need to be replaced (I have 3 keys right now, one for each door and the ignition)
Thermostat
New windshield
New rear window (someone tried to break in at some point and ruined the latch as well as bent the window frame so it no longer closes completely)

Obviously this isn't an easy swap, but should be doable, right?

Last edited by lectric80; 01-23-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do have a third gen pickup and he has a first gen 4runner, so really you have two different generations of 22r-e. Yours has some extra crap on the intake hose, a different intake, and most likely a different ecu (Different plugs?). I think all that stuff should transfer right over, but I'm not 100% sure. Trading a pickup for a 4r is always a good idea though! I mean, pull the top off and they're basically the same thing. You should definitely look into if the 4r has a cable driven or electronic speedo, as your pickup most likely is electronic.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 AM

I doubt the electronic speedo 87black, I don't think that started until 92. My '90 is cable driven and so is a buddy's '91 Runner that I'm helping with a 3.4 swap.

Sorry lectric, don't really have any more input than that, hopefully someone else will chime in soon that does
Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
I doubt the electronic speedo 87black, I don't think that started until 92. My '90 is cable driven and so is a buddy's '91 Runner that I'm helping with a 3.4 swap.

Sorry lectric, don't really have any more input than that, hopefully someone else will chime in soon that does
Ah, that's cool. I'll openly admit I don't know when they change. I just know the intakes are different.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:29 PM

Well, it's not going to happen. Unfortunately the 4Runner is in far worse shape than I had hoped. It's had someone attempt to steal it by smashing the column, there are several interior panels missing and several places where the outside can be seen while you are inside. I will keep looking for now. May be able to find a decent one when tax refund comes in this year then I can keep the 4Runner and my son who should be getting his license this year can have the 90. It's a real shame too, but I just can't trade an intact truck for a 4Runner that needs that much work.

As for speedo, I know my 90 is cable driven, but it still shouldn't matter since I would be swapping engine only, not trans or transfer case.

I did think about the removing the top, which is something I do anyway with my pickup every summer, to still use it as a pickup. I keep the top on during the winter to keep the sandbags from rotting out too quickly, I can get about 5-7 years out of a set of sandbags doing this.