86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPS, AFM, Timing... I'm making progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TPS, AFM, Timing... I'm making progress

Ok folks I just got done with the ohm meter and the AFM and everything is within specs. Good news there although I'm thinking I might have to crack it open and do the "Mass Air Sensor Mod" as per 4crawler since it still smells rich. That will be after I finally pass emissions.

I ohmed the TPS and found that when checking the idl and e2 terminals with a .55mm gap gauge in between the throttle stop and the throttle we had an open connection instead of <2.3k ohms. Since I'm unable to move the TPS right now we moved the throttle stop enough to get <2.3k and then metered the TPS again. Everything is in specs although I'm planning on pulling the TB tomorrow and cleaning it as well as bench testing the TPS again. Still no change in the erratic idle. More on that in a minute.

While messing with this thing my buddy asked if the timing was in specs. I was told by the last mechanic that it was timed back to 5*. So I fell back to some old school stuff and timed it by ear. The idle smoothed out a lot but when I put the light on it it was way retarded, in fact I had moved the dizzy to the far forward (counter clockwise if looking at the dizzy from the drivers side fender) postion. So we set it back to 5* and the dang thing wouldn't idle high enough to stay running. The idle screw made no change at all. So now it's at the extreme retarded position again.

Ok a couple of questions.

This is an 86 22re motor and for a while now it's been idling up slightly while sitting. I'd say it goes from about 800rpms to 1400rpms. If I "goose" it it will idle back down, I'm guessing the dash pot is the culprit for that and will be eliminating that tomorrow as well. Does that sound about right?

Also I've found the engine codes although none have ever been seen at the dash and have found the T and E1 terminals and done the "short".
I get a 5 a 6 and a 7.
The list I'm looking at is for a 22R-E motor in an 85 but it's all I could find.

The 5 is "open or shorted O2 sensor circuit-lean or rich condition-defective O2 sensor or ECU". Remember that the truck runs rich right now.

The 6 is "No engine revolution sensor (Ne) signal to ECU or NE value being over 1000 rpms in spite of no Ne signal to ECU-defective ignitor circuit, igniter, distributer or ECU".

The 7 is "open or shorted TPS circuit-defective TPS or ECU".

Looks to me that the motor is telling me I either have a bad O2 sensor or a bad TPS. I don't know what the engine rev sensor (Ne) is or where it's located so I'll have to track that down this weekend. I don't think the dizzy is bad and I'm hoping that the ECU is still good.

Any suggestions on a good O2 sensor? I'll be in a "pick-n-pull" this weekend looking for stuff and will probably grab an O2 sensor and TPS if I can find some in the correct year.

Any help at this point would be great. Is there a way to diagnose an O2 sensor? Are these things expensive???

Thanks bunches.

Oh and to all/any of you that are a little shy about metering your stuff. It's a hell of a lot easier than you think and takes no time at all.