86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

toyota brand oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota brand oil filters

I know some toyota guys swear by these as the best....if you guys have any opinions on oil filters to throw in here feel free. But i'm wondering if there's anywhere to order them online, or if i have to buy them at the dealership

thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you could get them from strap22 i just use napa gold ones my self
Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just go and buy a bulk pack of like 10 or 12 Toyota filters from the dealership. They are chump change when you really think about it. Maybe if you do some calling around to let the parts guys know you're shopping prices, they might give you a better price to entice you to come in from dealerships in your area. You might also be able to order them online as well if you look around.

Toyota OEM filters are extremely good filters. I don't know why anyone would switch unless it was to save a few pennies, which, isn't really saving if you're not getting the same quality filter.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM

they are made it thailand. I have about 8 or so sitting in my garage as backup, they have an anti drainback valve like the nicer filters but who knows about the quality of the paper filter media (I took one apart). If you want I would be willing to cut another an post pictures for reference. I don't know if the thailand filters are still denso filters.

I think the box of 10 (or 12, don't remember) only cost $25-30 from strap22. that was a few years ago, however.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Mobil One is one of the highest rated filters, but they are like $10 each. I use OEM until my current stock is out then I'm permanently switching to Mobile One, same as my oil. The inside of your engine will thank you. I have a thread with my 3VZE apart right now and it's pretty d@mn clean inside; also, practically NO wear. Cylinder walls are like NEW.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 03-20-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 AM

its about motorcycle filters but relevant regardless.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html
Old 03-20-2007, 06:03 AM

I use Mobil-1 or Wix (Napa gold) exclusively. It just depends on where I am or which is cheaper at the time. I'm sure the stock Toyota filters are probably ok...can't be worse than the plastic filled fram crap.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:15 AM

i got lucky, my cousin works in parts at a dealership & he's hookin me up w/ 2 cases at dealer cost.. i think the toyota filters serve their purpose and get the job done.. quite well in fact
Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a secret. The Mobil 1 filters and the private label autozone filters are the exact same filter. They are both made by a company called Champ filters and the only thing they do differently for the two companies is the color and name on the filter and package itself. Champ actually makes many of the delco and bosch filters as well as making the oem filters for gm and many other manufacturers. I just found this out this weekend when talking to my champ filter sales rep.

On a side note.. I only use toyota oem filters and I get them from phil(trdparts4u.com)
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 AM

Yeah, champ makes a butt-load of filters. I have never read what differences there are between the filters they make, but I have heard people say there is a difference. I had a site bookmarked that listed who made what. Your post makes me want to go buy an Autozone filter & cut it open on my pops lathe.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by sswearin1
they are made it thailand. I have about 8 or so sitting in my garage as backup, they have an anti drainback valve like the nicer filters but who knows about the quality of the paper filter media (I took one apart). If you want I would be willing to cut another an post pictures for reference. I don't know if the thailand filters are still denso filters.

I think the box of 10 (or 12, don't remember) only cost $25-30 from strap22. that was a few years ago, however.

I don't know about the V6's but the 22R's and RE's need that Anti-drainback valve. Without it proper tension on the timing chain during start up.
So for the 4 Cylinders I know that research needs to be done before switching brands. I've seen the tru filters(stainless steel) that would be the only real upgrade from the Toyota in my opinion if it has the anti-drainback valve. I haven't researched them enough. Choose and choose wisely!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:48 AM

proper tension on 22r

what do you mean by that proper tension on timing on start up? i have a remote oil filter set up and i use wix
Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

i recommend (quite highly) the Amsoil EA series full flow filters. To make oil changes simple, and to keep oil as clean as possible, I'll be using an Amsoil Bypass kit, which relocates the stock (fullflow) filter, and adds a big, bad bypass filter to take even the smallest debris out of your oil. rad.

If you still want to use just the stock filter, either the Amsoil EA (made by Dondaldson) or the genuine Toyota part.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jagger_snitt
I don't know about the V6's but the 22R's and RE's need that Anti-drainback valve. Without it proper tension on the timing chain during start up.
So for the 4 Cylinders I know that research needs to be done before switching brands. I've seen the tru filters(stainless steel) that would be the only real upgrade from the Toyota in my opinion if it has the anti-drainback valve. I haven't researched them enough. Choose and choose wisely!
Originally Posted by Just Learning
what do you mean by that proper tension on timing on start up? i have a remote oil filter set up and i use wix
Yes, good question....what do you mean? Your statement is a tad incomplete and I don't understand what your trying to say. But, I would like to.

Ditto on the set up....except I'm using the Wix spin on at the stock location, and my bypass (Frantz) runs from the sending unit and returns at the fill cap on the valve cover.

Last edited by thook; 03-20-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:55 AM

Without that initial oil left in the filter because of an anti-drainback valve,the engine starts without oil in the system, causing the there to be less tension on the timing chain tesioner,inevitably causing wear on the timing belt guides,
eventually causing the timming chain to get slack. I could be horrible mistakin' but it happened to me. All it takes is one trashy filter.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:56 AM

As long as the filter you are using has the anti-drainback I personally wouldn't worry.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 PM

I used Toyota filters on my truck and my wife's Celica on the last oil change I did because of all the talk about the anti-drainback valve. When I removed them this time, there was absolutley no oil in either one. The car sat all night in the garage and the truck only sat long enough for the oil to cool down.

I went back to using the Pure One Puralator filters. The store is less than a mile away while the nearest dealer is three towns away. I don't know who manufactures the Toyota filters but I'm pretty sure it's not Toyota. Some other manufacturer is making them for them.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:11 PM

Most (not all apparently) oil filters have anti-drainback valves if I'm not mistaken. Some are just better made than others; here's a good read on oil filters:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html