Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Toyota 3vz Headgasket Recall Predicament

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed. Let us know the outcome. I'm not having head gasket problems on my 3.0, but just recently took it to the dealer here in Concord to check the recall. It was still valid, but they wanted me to pay $1000 down in case something broke. I decided to wait until I have problems or decide for sure. It runs great now so I hate to take a chance.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010nctaco
Subscribed. Let us know the outcome. I'm not having head gasket problems on my 3.0, but just recently took it to the dealer here in Concord to check the recall. It was still valid, but they wanted me to pay $1000 down in case something broke. I decided to wait until I have problems or decide for sure. It runs great now so I hate to take a chance.
I'm still waiting on a reply from Toyota via email. I assume they don't work on weekends, so today should be the day. Last they asked for was my Vin #
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM

Finally got a reply from Toyota. And this is/was their response:

Dear Michael:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for the concerns you have experienced.

We have checked the VIN, 00000000000000000, for your 1988 4Runner and your 4Runner was never involved in the V06 recall. The only recall your 4runner is/was involved in is the SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN – SSC #J01, a special service campaign to correct inadequate clearance between the fuel main hose and the EGR pipe in the engine compartment on certain 1988 4x4 trucks and 4Runners equipped with V6 engines.

Toyota issued this campaign February 16, 1988. Typically parts are made available for up to 10 years. At this time your 4Runner is 26 years old which is far beyond the part availability time frame. We have checked and the parts are available for the completion of SSC#J01.

Please contact your local Toyota dealership for completion of the outstanding campaign.

Sincerely,

Anita M.

Toyota Customer Experience
She also attached a document that was initially mailed to your house if you owned an 88-89 3vz 4Runner or 88 pick up. Apparently these trucks were not covered under the head gasket recall? but instead, they gave you a 8 year or 100k mile warranty that was added onto your existing warranty, or if you didn't have one, your truck was now equipped with one till 100k miles or 8 years old. The 'official" head gasket repair is only available for 90-95 4Runner, 89-95 pick ups, and 94-95 T100s. As in, If you own those vehicles, they would either A) replace your headgasket, or B) if the headgasket was blown, replace your entire motor with a long block.

Either way, 88-89 4Runners and 88 trucks with a 3vz were not covered under the head gasket recall, instead they were given an 8 year, 100k mile warranty. Which blows, lol Anyway, guess I continue with my head gasket repair.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just because a couple of users on here got lucky and had the recall done doesn't mean every dealership will honor it.

We are talking about a 20+ year old vehicle. Most manufacturers wouldn't even had put out the recall for the steering rod 11 years after production, but Toyota is a class act and did it anyway. But to ask for 20+ years on a recall is asking a lot. The guys over at the Roseville Toyota are nice and friendly in my experience but I highly doubt they will ever do it, it's just not cost effective at all for them. I had my bro call around when his H/G blew but the ones in Fresno wouldn't have it either.

Legally, maybe they are obligated to provide the service, maybe not. But don't expect them to honor it... it's not very realistic.

Edit: just saw your last post. Yeah... that's what I figured they would say. Blowing a HG 201k miles later isn't a recall worthy item, that's just wear and tear on a vehicle

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 03-05-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
As I read the quoted letter, Toyota is offering to complete the SSC #J01 recall campaign -- on a 26 year old vehicle! Now that's class.

The good news, of course, is that Toyota EXTENDED your warranty to 8 years (!), and your engine long, long outlived that. I'd be thankful (and impressed) for that.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:25 AM

Here's a bit more information:

Dear Michael:

We are sorry for any misinformation you have been provided.

You are correct that recalls do not expire. We have confirmed however that your 1988 4Runner was never included in the V06 recall. Thus, since your 4Runner is not part of the recall, no assistance will be provided by Toyota for your head gasket.

While we understand your concern with the cost of the repair, your vehicle is too far outside of the warranty parameters ( 8 years and/or 100k miles ) for any assistance to be offered. We do apologize that we were not able to offer any assistance and for the cost and inconvenience you are facing.

Your email has been added to your file#1403050801.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email by using the following link, http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html, or by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and from 7 AM to 4 PM on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Anita M.

Toyota Customer Experience
I emailed them back yesterday and this is what I got. A good source of information, I would say. Apparently Toyota Recalls never expire. ( as long as they're apart of it, of course )
Old 03-06-2014, 10:52 AM

the dealers don't want to do it because they don't have anyone capable of handling a job like that. dealers are staffed with green uti grads who can hardly fix a sandwich, much less a car. i have a late model acura in my shop now that a dealer gave up on that they could not fix (out of factory warranty). if there isn't a tsb telling those goobers what to replace, they are lost.

a recall is a recall reguardless of age, toyota should warranty that
Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by oldblue
...a recall is a recall reguardless of age, toyota should warranty that
Hmmm. Now might be a good time to discuss vocabulary.

While many of us casually toss around the term "headgasket recall," a recall refers to a very specific statutory event mandated by NHTSA. For instance, TOYOTA RECALL NO. SSC J01 (the Fuel line) or SSC 50N (the Relay Rod, in later years) is a safety-related recall required by US law. Toyota will "honor" that recall for the life of the vehicle, but once it has been completed, that's it. Don't expect Toyota to replace fuel lines or front-end parts for the next 26 years.

The headgasket repair is, so far as I can tell, a "SPECIAL POLICY ADJUSTMENT FOR THE HEAD GASKETS," issued as Technical Service Bulletin #54015. Not a recall. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues Toyota is not required to issue TSBs, and if they do they can put in whatever limitations they see fit. So they can limit it to certain model years and engines, and they can limit it in time or mileage if they chose to do so. (I cannot access the entire text of the TSB, so I can't comment on any such limitations.)

Toyota (and other auto manufacturers) issue TSBs because, I expect, they are trying to do the best job they can for their customers. But that doesn't mean they plan to provide free headgasket replacements for 26 years. Someday someone might figure out how to build a truck that will last 26 years without repair, but I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 AM

you are correct, its not a nhtsa recall, i just checked to prove myself wrong. my truck has 4 recalls, the steering linkage recall and 3 others about headlights i think. i could not find any info on the gasket "recall" or campaign, whatever it may be.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, you guys have it right.

Like I was saying a 26+ year old vehicles blowing a Head Gasket is hardly Toyota's fault. Actually, more like a testament to how well their vehicles last! You know, there's a lot of other vehicles such as Mitsubishis, Fords, and Dodges that blow headgaskets just as often or even more often then our engines with a whole lot less miles on them. Just sayin'.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:28 AM

I have a 1993 Runner Toyota took in under the recall last week V06 as well as the Steering Relay rod recall

John