Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Total newbie needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Total newbie needs advice

Hello from Canada,

I managed to buy my late brother's truck last year. It's a 4x4 91 SR5 extended cab 4x4 with a 3vze engine with 170k miles on it. VIN suggests it was made in Japan. It runs great and doesn't have much rust, my brother was a mechanic and he took great care of it. Sadly I'll never have the chance to ask my him about the maintenance it needs most. I'm really not mechanically inclined... It was an emotional purchase. I plan on driving it until it dies out.

Only "work" I did on it was to replace the battery and change the oil and filter. Breaks and shocks need to be replaced. Coolant needs to be switched back to Toyota Red since someone put some nasty green stuff in it (still clean and green though, no rust). Might need to clean/replace the air filter and check on the fuel filter also. Must be tons of other stuff to do also but that's all I can think of. One thing that's especially bothering me is the timing belt, I have no idea when it was last replaced. It's probably way overdue now...

I'm working up the courage to replace it (and the water pump) myself but might ask a mechanic to do it (or wait until it gives to decide). Watching this video now to see how it's done:
I found a few Evergreen kits that look alright but I'm way over my head and not sure what to get when the time comes. Might have to order from the US since prices are ridiculous here in Canukistan.

Can you guys recommend a good timing belt kit with a tensioner and an Aisin water pump? Any other basic maintenance tips would be greatly appreciated.