Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Torque Converter whine

Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque Converter whine

I just got my truck to finally run after swapping out my auto 340H tranny with a newer one. The first time I tried it with the old TC which didn't work out so now with the new TC everything runs and shifts great. The only concern I have now is my new TC is whining when it the tranny warms up. It whines more depending on the engine rpms (straight line relationship). Another observation is it seems to only do it in park or neutral. However, it might do it in gear but my exhaust is so loud I can't tell.

Lastly, before anyone asks.... YES, the fluid is EXACTLY right now. Any thoughts??
Old 10-10-2009, 06:12 PM

bump.... I find it hard to believe no one has had this same problem. Anything would help?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What do you mean by "whine"? One could correlate a "whine" to engine rpm or to engine speed. And, auto trans don't usually contribute a 'whine' to anything. So... maybe the new trans is more quiet than the old and now you're hearing the radiator fan / clutch?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by orbital02
I just got my truck to finally run after swapping out my auto 340H tranny with a newer one. The first time I tried it with the old TC which didn't work out so now with the new TC everything runs and shifts great. The only concern I have now is my new TC is whining when it the tranny warms up. It whines more depending on the engine rpms (straight line relationship). Another observation is it seems to only do it in park or neutral. However, it might do it in gear but my exhaust is so loud I can't tell.

Lastly, before anyone asks.... YES, the fluid is EXACTLY right now. Any thoughts??
What about the old TC "didn't work" ??

TC's usually don't whine. It's very rare for them to make any noise at all.
Why do you think it's the TC that's whining ?
Didn't you just install a used, really ustested tranny ?
Did you at least replace all the seals, in and out ?
Did you drop the pan and look at the inside before installing it ?

Fred
Old 10-14-2009, 09:39 AM

the old TC was filled with water as was the old tranny. I guess the clutches in the old TC went bad because it won't go into gear (even with new tranny). I am not 100% sure the tranny pump isn't whining because I never witnessed it work. No, I didn't replace anything in the newer tranny except fluid and filter.

If it was the pump whining, why would it make that noise?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:45 AM

whining noises on your TC. Would it be a the fact that the TC is defective?? Did the old TC make such noises?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by orbital02
the old TC was filled with water as was the old tranny. I guess the clutches in the old TC went bad because it won't go into gear (even with new tranny). I am not 100% sure the tranny pump isn't whining because I never witnessed it work. No, I didn't replace anything in the newer tranny except fluid and filter.

If it was the pump whining, why would it make that noise?
The "clutches" in the TC are only for lockup and would have nothing to do with the tranny "going into gear" or not.
There are a lot of things that could whine in a tranny, including the pump. What did the inside of the pan look like in the new tranny when you removed it to replace the filter ?

Fred
Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 AM

Then again my friend says he has a TC issue, but what symptoms would normally occur if it were a TC issue??
Old 10-16-2009, 10:41 AM

Some TC issues Ive heard of are TC STAYING LOCKED (which will overheat it) and TC clutches slipping.

Fred: The tranny whines in every gear. It seems to whine more after the truck warms up (but still maintaining the engine RPM relationship). The fluid was pretty dirty but, it didn't have metal or anything "foreign" for that matter. I'm taking it to the tranny shop for diag. today.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Ok, just drove back from the trans. shop and verdict is: he's not sure! He said it's either the TC or the pump. But he did mention that I shouldn't be calling it a "whine" it's more of a scraping sound (like the TC is scraping against the bellhousing). Anymore thoughts?

BTW: thx for the help so far.