86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

torque converter problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque converter problems?

so i just got off the phone and the shop talked to some people and think the tranny converter is shot, but you need to pulll it to measure it and see what one you have, but anyways the tranny shop said that in the early 90's they used a 2 part shifting mechinism with a checkvalve and they tend to get "clogged" which is why in low range itll run like a bat outta hell and when you put it in high it wont "have any go power" they said even know the truck just had all this tune up work done to it, it kept fowling out plugs and sensors cause of the restriction, which is why it wouldnt want to start easy, so before i pay another shop to do more work and pull my tranny, do you guys think this may be it????????????????
Old 12-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Proper grammar goes a long way in describing problems to people. Can you repeat that in english?

Last edited by Robinhood150; 12-04-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 PM

x2 what???

punctuation
Old 12-06-2006, 04:38 PM

my trucks sluggish as hell and just been getting worse and worse over the summer, now it wont go up hills, if i put it in low range itll have power, if i put it inhigh range it wont even spin the tires in dirt. the basic tune up things have been all done and it keeps fouling out the plugs cause of the restriction due to the torque converter being shot when u test drive it, it will have a restriction on the motor so it fouls out the plugs , anyone hear of a torque converter going bad?
Old 12-06-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsxr750
my trucks sluggish as hell and just been getting worse and worse over the summer, now it wont go up hills, if i put it in low range itll have power, if i put it inhigh range it wont even spin the tires in dirt. the basic tune up things have been all done and it keeps fouling out the plugs cause of the restriction due to the torque converter being shot when u test drive it, it will have a restriction on the motor so it fouls out the plugs , anyone hear of a torque converter going bad?
Yup, you can blow a TC and that will call for a tranny rebuild.

Pull the pan (tranny) and take a look. See what, if any debris is in the pan, what color, how much, etc.

Are you sure that the tranny is shifting correctly and then it's starting in 1st gear, etc. ?

Fred
Old 12-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
low range?? high range?? What?

How does a torque converter have ANYTHING to do with fouling plugs???

You've got more than one issue and they are unrelated....

The fouling plugs could be a LOT of issues, but rich condition, detonation, oil in the intake are the first things that come to mind. I've never heard of a TC blowing up on such a low power application as a 3vze or 22re or 5vzfe for that matter.... Id solve the fouling plugs issue first personally.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 12-06-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:12 PM

Don't sound like no torque converter problem that I've ever seem. If the TC is bad in high range then it still gonna be bad in low range. I believe that you've got a secondary ignition problem that's causing the lack of power.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by gsxr750
so i just got off the phone and the shop talked to some people and think the tranny converter is shot, but you need to pulll it to measure it and see what one you have, but anyways the tranny shop said that in the early 90's they used a 2 part shifting mechinism with a checkvalve and they tend to get "clogged" which is why in low range itll run like a bat outta hell and when you put it in high it wont "have any go power" they said even know the truck just had all this tune up work done to it, it kept fowling out plugs and sensors cause of the restriction, which is why it wouldnt want to start easy, so before i pay another shop to do more work and pull my tranny, do you guys think this may be it????????????????
No, not at all. It sounds like you might have an open in a solenoid circuit and its trying to start off in too high of a gear. You have 2 solenoids which give you your four shifts. A combo of the 2 solenoids being on/off is what does it. It require both on to get 1st gear, all off to get 4th or OD. If you are missing one, you will get a 1 and a 4th gear, while the opposite solenoid working wil start you out in 2nd and shift to 3rd only. I'd check codes. I suspect someone either doesnt understand the tranny or does and s trying to "kink ya"
Old 12-07-2006, 11:12 AM

Auto Trans Help

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
No, not at all. It sounds like you might have an open in a solenoid circuit and its trying to start off in too high of a gear. You have 2 solenoids which give you your four shifts. A combo of the 2 solenoids being on/off is what does it. It require both on to get 1st gear, all off to get 4th or OD. If you are missing one, you will get a 1 and a 4th gear, while the opposite solenoid working wil start you out in 2nd and shift to 3rd only. I'd check codes. I suspect someone either doesnt understand the tranny or does and s trying to "kink ya"
What tells the solenoids to turn on and off, i have a 85 auto 22re that will only shift manually....it starts in high if you put it in drive and that is all it does, all the gear are there if you shift manually.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by cweich
What tells the solenoids to turn on and off, i have a 85 auto 22re that will only shift manually....it starts in high if you put it in drive and that is all it does, all the gear are there if you shift manually.
Tranny ECU, its seperate in the 85's. There is input to the ECU (speed etc) and output controls solenoids.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Tranny ECU, its seperate in the 85's. There is input to the ECU (speed etc) and output controls solenoids.
Any way yoy could tell me what color of wire i am looking for...i have found the controler under the shifter...but not sure where to gofrom there.

Thanks for the fast reply
Old 12-07-2006, 04:07 PM

i do nnot have a speedo cable right now...will that affect it. if so can i just hook the end up to the trans and get things working??? or where is that speed sensor located that is tied to the speedo cable?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:56 AM

is there a way by pass the speed sensor in the dash??