Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tips on more mpg?\tick

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips on more mpg?\tick

Hey guys,
I have an 89 toyota pickup and after reading the "post your mpg" thread i was wondering, if anyone had any tips or ideas on how to get more mpg...air filters? adjustments? I currently have a 22re with a 5spd 4x4 don't know the gearing and the tires are the stock size...well 10 wider but you know :\. any way I'm currently getting roughly 18.5 mpg city and highway mixed. I don't use 4x4 in town or highway. Anymore more information i can give you is it has 110,xxx miles. As you can understand i am only 16 so gas prices are expensive for me...Thanks in advance and i hope there isn't a thread already like this.

Side note...
I have a small TICK around the number 4 cylinder i can take a video and explain further I don't know what it is at first i though cam or rocker now I'm being told worn lifter or something of the sort.

Anyway thanks again in advance!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Possible valve adjustment on your 'tick', but no real adjustments you can make being EFI, check timing, cap rotor usual tune up stuff plugs wires etc. 18.5 doesn't sound too bad I'm getting 19-20 maybe? As good as these re's seem they would get better mileage in the end it's underpowered and our trucks are pretty heavy for what they are, lots will tell you intake mods exhaust etc all that is kinda up to you, anything i have ever done to my previous vehicles has produced minor gains but nothing I really noticed.....

All that is my opinion though surprised after the mpg thread you started a thread, lots of info in that discussion, there is also some other threads about minor mods and minor gains search around a bit more

And welcome!! How about some pics of this gas guzzler

Last edited by Discombobulated; 07-08-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 PM

I wish I was getting 18! I'm lucky when I see 16
Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by a51young
I wish I was getting 18! I'm lucky when I see 16
Pretty true, last time I calculated it was mostly highway miles
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM

Ok thanks so much again and yea when it comes to so many pages i don't have very much patience haha. i just see alot of people with 22re getting like 20? 22? but with bigger trucks then me and with my truck only having 110,xxx miles and mostly stock and they have bigger wheels etc, it throws me though a loop... anyway if you want to see the truck its my profile picture ahah i will have to take more pictures of it know that i joined the forum the interior is almost perfectly mint. haha thanks again discombobulated sorry for the stupid questions < fourm noob first real forum im actually excited to be on...kind of nervous PP oh and btw how do i find out my gearing?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the majority of people miscalculate their MPG because they don't adjust for a change in tire size.

I have detailed records of my fuel consumption covering about 7 years before my engine gave out on me.

22re 5spd, 31s 4x4.

Average MPG from 2005-2012

17.82 mpg. That's mixed of course.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 PM

I'm going to guess 4.10's, that's the usual set up for our years on a 5 spd, and no worries on being a noob I'm really still a noob not much of a mechanic I'm just on here like crack

I think the only threads that bug me are the what size tires fit and what gears do I need to get

Anyhoo, lots of nice peeps on here and it's the best yota site around!!

Oh and to know for sure on gearing you have a code by your VIN info drivers door sticker,

Pretty sure this is the link, http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ToyVIN.shtml

Well dangit just looked at the axle code link and its not found hmmmmm anyone know the new link of another one for gear ratios? So I can update my bookmark

Last edited by Discombobulated; 07-08-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ven0m
Ok thanks so much again and yea when it comes to so many pages i don't have very much patience haha. i just see alot of people with 22re getting like 20? 22? but with bigger trucks then me and with my truck only having 110,xxx miles and mostly stock and they have bigger wheels etc, it throws me though a loop... anyway if you want to see the truck its my profile picture ahah i will have to take more pictures of it know that i joined the forum the interior is almost perfectly mint. haha thanks again discombobulated sorry for the stupid questions < fourm noob first real forum im actually excited to be on...kind of nervous PP oh and btw how do i find out my gearing?
Here you go.

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 PM

Thanks bob, bookmarked!!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

One of the best things for mileage are weight .

It never fails the amount of things that some times end up in trucks for the rest of the trucks life.

Another thing is the speed you drive as the speed increases wind resistance also increases which cuts into mileage.

i only got 12 to 14 mpg but my driving is all short trips up and down hills.

Then here a big difference in the winter blend gas the mileage drops even more.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 PM

The weird thing is, is the diff was replaced because the idiots at the local mechanics shop didn't know how to change a diff seal destroyed the diff and then they needed to buy a used one from a junk yard so I'm sure the diff isn't the same as stock...but thanks for the info!
Sorry again about the off topic thread but hey doesn't hurt to try eh? haha

Last edited by Ven0m; 07-08-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 AM

Ditch your tail gate or make a bed cover that'll give you a extra mpg or two
A electric fan would probably help too
You can adjust the tps and get better mpgs (you'd have to search to find out how cuase idk)
Eco modder.com would have a lot of mpg gaining info if you wanna find out how the hippes do it

Last edited by Stetson_md; 07-09-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:53 AM

I get 18 MPG mixed driving, and I have the V6 3VZ-E . I've got over 20 with just highway.

The biggest way to improve MPG's is to increase the flow of air in and out of the engine. Combustion takes three key elements: air, fuel and spark. You improve these, your engine will run more efficient.

By adding 1/4" larger exhaust piping and replacing the muffler with a high-flow muffler (I have a magnaflow muffler, very satisfied with it) you'll get better gas mileage. By removing the exhaust gases faster, you'll remove the unnecessary back pressure that stifles these engines (you do need some backpressure though!). Mine jumped from 15 to 17 with it. Granted, it'll run you about $300 but worth it, since you also get a significant HP gain. You might want to think about getting a high flow cat if yours is really old but be careful, I've heard of some not passing smog.

The most cost effective way to improve it is a good 'ol tune up. Valve adjustment (make sure air or fuel is not escaping during the combustion cycle), new cap and rotor, new spark plugs, and new spark plug wires if yours are old. Also, don't use too thick of an oil. It will kill your MPG's and cause unnecessary wear when the oil is cold. Where I'm at, it hits high 20's in the winter, and 110 in the summer (so much for great California weather huh?). I run 5W-30 with no issues and better MPGs.

If you are feeling adventurous, you can try modding the air intake. I highly recommend at the least putting in a K&N air filter. Better air flow in the engine equals a better burn in the engine (more power from each stroke, making the engine require less fuel). Removing the Intake Silencer (the black box on the air intake, not sure how it looks on a 22RE) you'll get slightly better response and air flow but makes your truck noisy. Or you could do the 7MGE AFM mod with 3" intake like I did if you're feeling real crazy.

Also, running 91 octane will give you better MPG's. Running higher octane fuel means a more powerful and complete burn. It bumped my MPG up one, which offsets the extra $.20 a gallon to pay for it. So basically I get better performance, better MPG's and a cleaner engine without paying anything extra. Awesome. 91 octane also rarely contains ethanol, and our trucks HATE ethanol

That should keep you busy! All of those tips will improve MPG's. Unless you're running 32's+, you should be hitting 20 MPG's in a 22RE. Anything less means your engine is not running efficiently.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 07-09-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 AM

I love how efficient these trucks are considering they have the aerodynamics of a cinderblock. I'm averaging 23 mpg mixed driving...the best I've ever seen out of a 4x4 and this thing is 24 years old! With regard to the tire size, with the stock 4.10 gears and stock tire size of 225/75/15's my truck has gone 220 miles on 10.3 gallons of gas which comes out to 21.7 mpg. HOWEVER, when you factor in that I'm running 31's you have to add 8% to that because of the larger tires. I've done the airbox/battery swap and while I'm not sure if that helps mpg's or not (I don't see how it can hurt them) it gave me a noticeable difference in pep so that kinda counter-acted the effect the larger tires had on stock gears. Eventually I'll switch over to 33's with 4.88 gears which will be about as close to stock numbers as you can get so my mpg's might actually go down a touch, but i'll get that little extra power back too.

If your engine is running the way it should it'll all boil down to gears and tire size. Just don't skimp on the maintenance and use quality oils, lubes and parts. There isn't a whole lot that's going to give noticeable mpg improvements.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
I get 18 MPG mixed driving, and I have the V6 3VZ-E . I've got over 20 with just highway.

The biggest way to improve MPG's is to increase the flow of air in and out of the engine. Combustion takes three key elements: air, fuel and spark. You improve these, your engine will run more efficient.

By adding 1/4" larger exhaust piping and replacing the muffler with a high-flow muffler (I have a magnaflow muffler, very satisfied with it) you'll get better gas mileage. By removing the exhaust gases faster, you'll remove the unnecessary back pressure that stifles these engines (you do need some backpressure though!). Mine jumped from 15 to 17 with it. Granted, it'll run you about $300 but worth it, since you also get a significant HP gain. You might want to think about getting a high flow cat if yours is really old but be careful, I've heard of some not passing smog.

The most cost effective way to improve it is a good 'ol tune up. Valve adjustment (make sure air or fuel is not escaping during the combustion cycle), new cap and rotor, new spark plugs, and new spark plug wires if yours are old. Also, don't use too thick of an oil. It will kill your MPG's and cause unnecessary wear when the oil is cold. Where I'm at, it hits high 20's in the winter, and 110 in the summer (so much for great California weather huh?). I run 5W-30 with no issues and better MPGs.

If you are feeling adventurous, you can try modding the air intake. I highly recommend at the least putting in a K&N air filter. Better air flow in the engine equals a better burn in the engine (more power from each stroke, making the engine require less fuel). Removing the Intake Silencer (the black box on the air intake, not sure how it looks on a 22RE) you'll get slightly better response and air flow but makes your truck noisy. Or you could do the 7MGE AFM mod with 3" intake like I did if you're feeling real crazy.

Also, running 91 octane will give you better MPG's. Running higher octane fuel means a more powerful and complete burn. It bumped my MPG up one, which offsets the extra $.20 a gallon to pay for it. So basically I get better performance, better MPG's and a cleaner engine without paying anything extra. Awesome. 91 octane also rarely contains ethanol, and our trucks HATE ethanol

That should keep you busy! All of those tips will improve MPG's. Unless you're running 32's+, you should be hitting 20 MPG's in a 22RE. Anything less means your engine is not running efficiently.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THAT INFO!! haha means a lot i was always debating doing some of these things but always needed clarification! thanks again!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
18.5mpg is pretty good for a 4wd brick with only 90hp to push it around. like others have said, start at the engine and make sure she's running in tip top shape - so do a full tuneup even though your rig is only a baby with little over 100k on it, it's 24yrs old and sat for a good amount of that time with so little mileage.

i believe mythbusters proved the tailgate-down theory to be defunct and you actually get better mpgs with it up, since it creates a bubble of air = less drag. less weight overall in the rig will improve mpgs for all vehicles. make sure tires are not under-inflated. make sure wheel bearings are packed with non-24yr old grease and with the correct amount of preload on them. check to make sure all your diff trans and tcase fluids are in spec and not the original fluids. back off of the skinny pedal every now and then. coast as much as possible especially when coming up to red lights. driving like an old man vs driving like you stole it will significantly increase mpgs. run some injector cleaner or seafoam the engine, clean out your intake plenum from all the carbon/oil deposits. if you can afford it, do a CAT-back system for increased flow. make sure your stock paper air filter is fresh - it filters better than aftermarket and if not dirty flows decent too. wash your rig every now and then

all those little things you can do will help get you better MPGs even though you're pretty good as-is. my truck gets around the same as you for hwy driving, but i like to use lots of skinny pedal and my truck is a few inches taller/more wind resistance. good luck!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
18.5mpg is pretty good for a 4wd brick with only 90hp to push it around. like others have said, start at the engine and make sure she's running in tip top shape - so do a full tuneup even though your rig is only a baby with little over 100k on it, it's 24yrs old and sat for a good amount of that time with so little mileage.

i believe mythbusters proved the tailgate-down theory to be defunct and you actually get better mpgs with it up, since it creates a bubble of air = less drag. less weight overall in the rig will improve mpgs for all vehicles. make sure tires are not under-inflated. make sure wheel bearings are packed with non-24yr old grease and with the correct amount of preload on them. check to make sure all your diff trans and tcase fluids are in spec and not the original fluids. back off of the skinny pedal every now and then. coast as much as possible especially when coming up to red lights. driving like an old man vs driving like you stole it will significantly increase mpgs. run some injector cleaner or seafoam the engine, clean out your intake plenum from all the carbon/oil deposits. if you can afford it, do a CAT-back system for increased flow. make sure your stock paper air filter is fresh - it filters better than aftermarket and if not dirty flows decent too. wash your rig every now and then

all those little things you can do will help get you better MPGs even though you're pretty good as-is. my truck gets around the same as you for hwy driving, but i like to use lots of skinny pedal and my truck is a few inches taller/more wind resistance. good luck!
You give very good advice and I'm not knocking you at all, but I couldn't help but notice that you including 'wash your rig' in your list of things to do to keep mpg's up. How does that work?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SPARKS89
You give very good advice and I'm not knocking you at all, but I couldn't help but notice that you including 'wash your rig' in your list of things to do to keep mpg's up. How does that work?
less dirt/oxidation to catch the wind = less resistance = better aerodynamics. it's not a large gain, but every little bit you can do will eventually add up especially when some small things only effect fractions of 1mpg. imagine sliding your hand across a freshly washed/waxed paint job vs sliding across a dirt-covered paint job that feels like chalkboard

oh yeah, forgot to add - if you have removed the front skid plate, put it back on. aerodynamically speaking, air hits it and deflects at an angle vs air hitting the front IFS at 90* and slowing you down

Last edited by highonpottery; 07-09-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 AM

But if you pull your tail gate all your garbage you leave in the bed falls out reducing the weight lol but the bed cover on my dodge gave me 3mpg better so the tail gate might not work but a tonneau cover dose
You could also use some pizza pans for hubcaps that'd give you alil better aero dynamics but you'd look stupid lol

Last edited by Stetson_md; 07-09-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM

I drove from Glenwood Springs to Lake City, CO through Crested Butte and Gunnison. I got 24 mpgs on 31x10.50 M/T tires (yes, i corrected for increased tire size). I was loaded up for a camping trip too. I've been putting mid-grade and premium in lately and it really improves the mileage. Now, what I haven't checked is if it improves the $$/mile. Taking my roof racks off helped as well as keeping my tires aired up around 38-40psi. Also driving roads where your speed is between 45-65 (rather than trying to push it to 75) is more efficient.

It probably also helps that my engine is going on 2000 mi after full rebuild with new head, new crankshaft, and new RV cam, as well as new plugs, wires, distrib, fuel filter, etc.

Quick Reply: Tips on more mpg?\tick