Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

timming chain gide broke while driving! i think

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
timming chain gide broke while driving! i think

I have a 1991 toyota 4 runner 22re 5 speed. I was just playing in a mud hole having a blast and I deided to stop before i buried my truck in a mudy hole. After I left i got about a 100 yards down the road and CRACK. i heard somthing give up in the motor sounded like somthing gave up. I know the number three intake rocker arm had been eating at the cam may be the rocker gave up. but the narly sound coming from the motor did not sound like metal on metal. and the truck still got me home . like a true toyota. i didn't lose any power so i think timming chain guides

any ways what is the best way to check for a bad timming chain guide pull the valve cover and look, or drop the oil pan and look for chuncks? is it possible to drop the pan with all the ifs stuff right under it ? is there a trick to getting the pan off? oh has any one ever heard there timming chain guide brake while you were driving before ?

i gotta say the truck got me home kinda noisy tho. . . also i know i need to rebuild at least the top end of my motor because of the rocker eating away at the cam. so my main question is does anybody have experance with the aluminum rocker arms like the ones on 22re.com? i would love to use all oem parts but that is just not in my budget. they quoted me just over $40 a peace for stock rocker arms. so i am looking at a engnbldr rv head and may be some aluminum rockers what do you guys think? or do you have a better source for rocker arms ? please let me know

I know i gotta lotta work to do but the rockers? what is your advice
Old 11-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say to see if your timing chain broke or a guide it might be best to just pull your valve cover. You should be able to see down into the timing chain and determine if you broke the chain or a guide. If you broke the chain or guide you will want to pull off the oil pan and clean it out. You definitely dont want any debris to get pulled into your oil lines lines or you may have big trouble on your hands. Best of luck
Old 11-26-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the timming chain is good because i could drive it home. kinda hard to fire up a motor with a broken timing chain. . .
I just pulled my truck in to the garage for the night. hopefully i can get my tools from work tomarow and see what is realy going on.
also i saw some good looking rocker asemblys on 22re performance's web site anyone running there parts ?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pull the valve cover and check for slack in the timing chain. Any slack at all and you need to rebuild the top end. Took me two full days going at a tedious pace to make sure everything was correct. Buy parts from ENGNBLDR.