86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

timing issues rebuilt 22re from a mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question timing issues rebuilt 22re from a mechanic

First off, any help is greatly appreciated.

The issues at hand right now, the engine is missing really bad. Driving at about 37 mph in 3rd gear you can feel the misses happening in your body, power loss and jerkyness. You can hear it at idle(which is to high) but it kicks in really bad as the rpm's rise.

Now the history:
A few months ago we had a rebuilt 22re engine that was put together and installed by a local mechanic. We drove it away and made it about 3 blocks before returning it as it no longer would even idle. Timing was way off. This is when he said it's going to have a lope because of the cam, but he got it dialed in a bit better.

Next time we left his shop we made it home about 15 miles away and still there was something wrong. Ah, vacuum hoses where hanging about. Put them on right and brought it back. He then readjusted the timing one more time. This was also when he informed us he could not get a base timing and blamed a faulty computer.

Okay, so 400 miles into the motor the front main blew. He made good and fixed that, must of nicked the gasket.

Now about 1500 miles into the motor the misses are still happening, but getting worse. We replace the cap, rotor, and wires. Check the plugs that are under 2k in mileage and 1 and 4 are fouled. So we replaced the plugs. This was the day before our camping trip from S. Oregon to Shasta California(Memorial day weekend). It seemed to run pretty good, very little noticeable misses. That was until a lot of engine breaking coming down the other side of the pass. Even coming back it wasn't to bad. A couple weeks and it's back to running like crap, and today, it runs like poo.

The old tired leaked 1-2 quarts a week engine never missed like that.

Could he have missed a tooth on the timing chain?

Should I take it to another mechanic and see if they can time it in and or diagnose the problem?

I guess I just need some ideas, engines and timing are not my thing and I hate trying to go back to this mechanic with out some kind of game plan.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first off, get a second opinion!then pick up an owners manual,or download one from this site. if your comfortable with doing it,loosen your distributer hold down nut and move your dist both ways very little ,slowly,and see if the engine smooths out,it sound like your timing is off a tooth.

Last edited by cman1; 06-26-2013 at 07:13 PM.