86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

timing chain replacemnt

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing chain replacemnt

So tonight i will see if the tabs actually broke on the timing chain but either way while i have the time im gonna replace it anyways. so the parts im getting are the chain kit from engnbldr and a water pump. is this the time i should also replace the oil pump? just looking for the parts i should get since im not sure and this is my first one ive done on a yota
Old 03-30-2007, 10:03 AM

I went in to replace my timing chain a few months ago and ended up just rebuilding the whole engine once i had it apart. But if your just looking to replace the chain, then now is good time replace the oil pump. If your going to remove the head for access, get the head checked out and do a valve job. I think you can replace the chain without removing the head, but i removed mine anyway. Most sources advised that. Make sure you get ALL your gaskets ahead of time too.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:27 AM

i will def do a valve job when its all said and done. i will order a HG in case i have to got route. hopefully not but thanks for that advice
Old 03-30-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would do the oil pump while your in there and do the fuel filter as well
Old 03-30-2007, 12:33 PM

So you guys saying to replace the oil pump, it is just 'cause or do you think they wear out? Mine is 50K miles old (replaced at 140K with the original timing chain R&R) and I'm planning on reusing it on my rebuild. What wears them out, they are bathed in oil afterall.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
So you guys saying to replace the oil pump, it is just 'cause or do you think they wear out? Mine is 50K miles old (replaced at 140K with the original timing chain R&R) and I'm planning on reusing it on my rebuild. What wears them out, they are bathed in oil afterall.
the spaceing between the gears grows larger as the teeth wear down.. So id suggest just looking at it and seeing if it needs it.. and get a toyota oil pump!! dont mess around with jobber parts on the pump...I did my timing chain a month ago and the oil pump had no slop in it so i put it back on.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:59 PM

You will be pulling the head, its the proper way to do it. The oil pump and H20 pump rarely fail and are easy to change without pulling the timing cover. I left mine alone. Engnbldr said not to worry about them, and my truck has 160K on it. I just got mine back together last week. Had the head checked and slightly ground. The valves were perfect at 160K and the head shop said not to bother changing anything. I did have the injecters cleaned and match flowed while the head was off.. no issues other than the #4 injector didnt seat, so i have to pull it and figure out why.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:54 AM

The clearances between oil pump gears gradually enlarge. Mine had 250,000 miles on it when I replaced.

and the oil pump had no slop in it so i put it back on.
There is a spec that you can measure with a feeler gauge to tell if it needs replacement. Usually fingers cant tell the difference between a few thousands.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by FirstGenTankota
The clearances between oil pump gears gradually enlarge. Mine had 250,000 miles on it when I replaced.

There is a spec that you can measure with a feeler gauge to tell if it needs replacement. Usually fingers cant tell the difference between a few thousands.
true enough but ive seen a few bad oil pumps before and the wear on the gear teeth is noticeable and mine had none as the PO changed it about 5 years and 60-70k km ago.