Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing chain replacement various noises

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain replacement various noises

First off, my apologies if this has already been covered here.
I have an 89 4x4 pickup with a 22re motor in it. I know I'm due for a timing chain and am wondering what all needs to be replaced during this job.

Also, there are some new noises coming from the engine that I'm suspecting are due to the worn chain, kind of a rattling noise when the engine is under load... Getting noiser by the day... Anything else this may be?

Any tips and tricks are hugely appreciated!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rygill
First off, my apologies if this has already been covered here.
I have an 89 4x4 pickup with a 22re motor in it. I know I'm due for a timing chain and am wondering what all needs to be replaced during this job.

Also, there are some new noises coming from the engine that I'm suspecting are due to the worn chain, kind of a rattling noise when the engine is under load... Getting noiser by the day... Anything else this may be?

Any tips and tricks are hugely appreciated!
Check out the thread below. I'll be tearing into my timing cover within the next couple of weeks. Luckily, I have my other truck to drive for now.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

Also, I'm ordering my timing kit from engbldr. He comes highly recommended by many posters on this forum.

Here's his website:

http://www.engnbldr.com/ToyotaHotLicks.htm

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 01-08-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:53 PM

Yea I did mine last summer its not that difficult. Make sure you get the metal rails rather than the plastic ones, they will last you way longer. Also the spring tensioner should be replaced along with the chain, gaskets, gears and rails. These should come complete in sets.

They should be pretty cheap on ebay, thats where I got mine.

The only difficulties I encountered was some of the small bolts can break, I think one of the water pump ones broke so I just left it. And the other thing thast kinda hard is undoing the bolt holding the crank pulley on, u need a big breaker bar and to crank the engine for a sec and it will undo itself.

The noise that oculd be getting louder and louder, if it is a tap, is the rocker arms or valves or something tapping the top of the valve cover.
1) Check to see if the valve cover is tightened down too much and will contact the rockers.
2) Check the valve clearance cause its jsut good to do if u havnt in a while, and u might as well if u have the valve cover off.

good luck,
AK