Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

timing chain cover problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing chain cover problem

so while changing out my timing chain i was put on the cover and broke the head gasket!!!!!! Now my question is this is it ok to RTV gasket just that part of the HG or should i pull the head and replace the whole HG. i know i know i should replace it but i need my truck running sooner than later and dont have much time cuz i am working or going to school 6 days a week. my truck is a 1991 22re.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
clean everything really well ,coat the remaining gasket and surfaces with a light coat of silicon and drop the oil pan enough to install the timing cover . I did it this way on a truck that the po had bent the gasket inward and after 3000 mi no leaks. If it already in stalled you might try cleaning the gap and squeezing silicon in the gap.

Last edited by swampfox; 02-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM

I'm not familiar with the 22RE but how did the head gasket break? Does it stick out from the head?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM

yeah i am just concerned that the silicone gasket will blow under that amount of pressure or is there not enough pressure in that part of the eninge.

and yes in the 22re the HG sticks out over the timing chain cover.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:12 PM

I used a gasket sealer called "The Right Stuff" it worked great! I eventually went back and replaced the head gasket but it held up for awhile till I had the time to do it right.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 PM

was it just for DDing or where you high RPM reving and wheeling too? i have the red RTV and it says its for high pressure and high temp. has anyone heard or used this stuff.

http://www.steelseal.net/
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM

the right stuff worked pretty good but it still leaked under the distributor area. I tried a few times to stop it but said the hell with it and just replaced the head gasket. I recommend getting a timing chain gasket and seal for the dealership to.

mostly trail riding and hunting no mudding..to answer your question

Last edited by jkent; 02-21-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM

ok. yea i have the gaskets from LCE because i did there metal chain guides. OEM from the dealership are better? probablly pricey though right.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by swampfox
clean everything really well ,coat the remaining gasket and surfaces with a light coat of silicon and drop the oil pan enough to install the timing cover . I did it this way on a truck that the po had bent the gasket inward and after 3000 mi no leaks. If it already in stalled you might try cleaning the gap and squeezing silicon in the gap.
This is not the proper way, nor even a good way to fix this issue

Originally Posted by ee23
I'm not familiar with the 22RE but how did the head gasket break? Does it stick out from the head?
Yes, the gasket sticks out over the timing cover and spaces the head off the timing cover

Originally Posted by topher.91
yeah i am just concerned that the silicone gasket will blow under that amount of pressure or is there not enough pressure in that part of the eninge.

and yes in the 22re the HG sticks out over the timing chain cover.
Blow out isn't that you need to be concerned with.

Originally Posted by jkent
I used a gasket sealer called "The Right Stuff" it worked great! I eventually went back and replaced the head gasket but it held up for awhile till I had the time to do it right.
Still not a good idea

Originally Posted by jkent
the right stuff worked pretty good but it still leaked under the distributor area. I tried a few times to stop it but said the hell with it and just replaced the head gasket. I recommend getting a timing chain gasket and seal for the dealership to.

mostly trail riding and hunting no mudding..to answer your question
THIS is the proper way to do it.

If you do not replace the headgasket, you can/will crack the timing cover where the "hidden" bolt goes in. The head gasket acts as a sort of spacer that will not completely crush down or squeeze out the sides. If you just use silicone, the silicone will squeeze out the sides and allows the head to pull up on the timing cover via the hidden bolt. This eventually cracks the timing cover after even a short service interval.

Long and short, if you want the engine to last more than a few thousand miles, replace the head gasket. Sure it sucks doing the extra work, but it sucks even more when you have to replace the engine because of a cracked timing cover.
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
OEM gaskets are always better with the 22RE. Compare gaskets side by side, and you will see the quality difference

I used the LCE gaskets the first time thru and went with the dealership ones the next time..I saw a big difference between the two. I would have to look for the receipt but I think it was double the amount of the local car parts store. worth the price to me. I used the black gasket sealer the first time and the right stuff the second time and the right stuff worked a lot better...messy but better imo
Old 02-21-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
OEM gaskets are always better with the 22RE. Compare gaskets side by side, and you will see the quality difference
Very true DeathCougar! ...Learned that lesson the hard way! doh!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you just try to seal it ...you WILL be taking it apart again sooner or later.probably sooner.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM

very true thank you for all your imput looks like i get to do it the right way and since i am in there i get a new cam =] stoked but not at the same time hahha
Old 02-21-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im a big fan of engnbldr kits,i did the whole timing cover head gasket back in november.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Deathcougar is right in saying my way is not correct , the way I suggested worked for me because the front of the head gasket was there and it was new just shoved back ,and it kept the timing cover from getting hurt. I had not considered the hidden bolt when I suggested using silicon only.

Last edited by swampfox; 02-21-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 PM

yeah the front of my HG is in peices hahahah.yyeah i am most deffenitly doing the Engnblder cam GREAT prices and i hear lots of great reveiws.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM

Mystery Possibly Solved

Reading the above, I think I just twitched.

When I bought my 4Runner about two years ago, it came with a full engnbldr timing chain kit. It was my first venture into auto engines in many years.

I chose to leave the head on since the HG was fairly new. Problem was I got ahead of myself during reassembly and installed the oil pan before the timing cover. Needless to say, I FUBAR'd the front part of the HG trying to sandwich the timing cover between the head and the oil pan.

I decided to try and make it work because I didn't want to spend the time on replacing the HG. I cut out the part that stuck out from the head and tried to use FIPG. Didn't work. In addition, I also managed to put a small crack in the timing cover when I snugged the hidden head bolt with a 1/4" drive.

[Until now I had no idea how that could have happened. I know I did not gorilla the torque on that bolt. Now, I probably know - thanks DeathCougar]

In short, there were many leaks and I got to do it all over again including the HG. I did it right the second time (of course) and put the oil pan on last. I followed 4crawler.com instructions and it was easy from there.

No oil leaks in about two years.

For me, no harm was done since its not a DD. I lost some time and sweat equity but from that point, I've been anal about fixing and improving things the right way.

Last edited by angrybob; 02-21-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 PM

angrybob- this is exactly why i asked this question brofor i did something stupid. so taking you and Deathcougars advise i am going to do it right the first time and rebuilding the cam so i can have a good engine i can depend on for years to come. thank you to all of you as i am still a youngun and dont want to make stupid mistakes as i want to keep this truck and pass it on to my kids.

I <3 YOTATECH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Have fun!

I was in the exact same position you are in...change or not to change HG. After I mucked something up I took the advice of others and did a full HG change and then some! no regrets at all and it has been a great learning experience for me.

My initial dilemma from about 6 months ago...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-chain-240066/

And today! almost done....I used all oem supplier or toyota parts from Wabfab, Toyota, 22re.com, Amazon, etc...but used an engnbldr cam/metal timing guide rail and LCE header. (FYI - I'm selling my timing cover, oil pump, and timing kit from engnbldr if interested! minus the driver steel guide rail...I decided to go oem)

Quick Reply: timing chain cover problem