Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing belt change-- tensioner, cam/crank seal, and idler questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt change-- tensioner, cam/crank seal, and idler questions

Hey everyone,

I'm not what one would call a super experienced mechanic, but I have decided to take on the challenge of changing my timing belt on my 3.0 (since I was told that I have a super bad oil leak coming from what is likely the front crankshaft oil seal) and I figured I would do the belt at the same time. That said, I have several questions.

First, from what I've read after many searches, I don't think that my truck (1990 4runner 3vze) has a belt tensioner-- or at least the type that is shown on this page: (http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...67timingbe.pdf). Can someone explain to me what the tensioner does, how it lines up with the belt (since I looks like it sits perpindicular to the belt) and further, if my truck doesn't have this type of tensioner, what does it have? I guess, mostly I'm concerned that the belt won't sit tight, and I don't know really what to expect on how to make sure it does...

Second, I have found on that same page, the procedure by which I will change the crank seal, however I have not been able to locate a procedure for changing the cam seals. I'd like to do them since I'm in there anyway, but I don't know exactly how to do so. I've gotten so far as to removing the camshaft timing pulleys, but after that, I don't know where to go.

Third, I'm already planning on changing the water pump, but I have been also told to change the idler pulleys. Which one is the one that most commonly goes out? Are those really necessary?

Finally, Like I said, I'm not "experienced" however I am willing to take on the challenge. I'm already planning on clearing next weekend to perform the work, and I'm curious as to how long you guys think it may take? Should I keep all of Saturday and Sunday open? Start on Friday? How many hours? The biggest job I've ever done was replacing the front axle of my 1982 Subaru wagon and I was pretty proud of that, but this is a whole new beast.

Yikes, this was long and drawn out, but any help would be appreciated as I'm sorta apprehensive about opening this beast up being so young and inexperienced.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first off you should have a spring loaded t-belt tensioner and it tightens like a drive belt. the idler pully is built on to the upper radiator hose innlet. if its not bad i wouldnt mess w/ it. if you have the cam pullies off you not far from the cam seals, just remove the black backing plate from the heads and you will see them. i would deffinitly replace them and the crank seal.