86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

testing egr by mouth...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
testing egr by mouth...

hey guys, i just finished rebuilding my engine (write up and pics coming soon!) and i'm having a few power problems. i have narrowed down and solved a few of them, but i have a question about my egr valve. i tested it manually by applying vacuum while the engine was running and the idle dropped significantly, which would lead me to believe it is functioning normally. however, when i applied the suction with my mouth, it felt as if i were drawing air through a bubbler and i can't find any info on whether this is normal or not. i do have cause to believe the egr got some water into it, and was wondering if that may be part of the cause for low power and sluggishness at low rpms. i rebuilt with engnbldrs crawler cam, and only running 235/75s so shouldn't have power issues low, but idle is a lil rough and there is a decent amount of condensation inside oil fill cap every time i run her. haven't gotten to drivable yet, just test forays around the block. oil and plugs are clean no fuel smell. so does anyone know if the egr is SUPPOSED to feel like drawing through a bubbler, or should i swap with new egr and see if it improves? i already have new egr, just having difficulty removing the egr>plenum pipe. its pretty old and rusty. thanks for any info!!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by khat toy
hey guys, i just finished rebuilding my engine (write up and pics coming soon!) and i'm having a few power problems. i have narrowed down and solved a few of them, but i have a question about my egr valve. i tested it manually by applying vacuum while the engine was running and the idle dropped significantly, which would lead me to believe it is functioning normally. however, when i applied the suction with my mouth, it felt as if i were drawing air through a bubbler and i can't find any info on whether this is normal or not. i do have cause to believe the egr got some water into it, and was wondering if that may be part of the cause for low power and sluggishness at low rpms. i rebuilt with engnbldrs crawler cam, and only running 235/75s so shouldn't have power issues low, but idle is a lil rough and there is a decent amount of condensation inside oil fill cap every time i run her. haven't gotten to drivable yet, just test forays around the block. oil and plugs are clean no fuel smell. so does anyone know if the egr is SUPPOSED to feel like drawing through a bubbler, or should i swap with new egr and see if it improves? i already have new egr, just having difficulty removing the egr>plenum pipe. its pretty old and rusty. thanks for any info!!
Are you suggesting that I turn my now removed EGR into a bubbler for my pothead roommates? Because that is what it sounds like you are suggesting.

Did you get the new EGR on? Any change?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The one pipe that adds vacuum should not leak if I am correct on that. All it does it open the valve. As far as the pipe that is frozen, I put the wrench on it and with gentle taps of a rubber hammer to the wrench it usually breaks it free. Don't try and force it with just strength on the wrench as I have had it to break the pipe or something on the EGR, I forget which part broke.