Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TC's 2nd Gen - Rear 4Link Swap (Buildup Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, here's the parts list so far:

4 Link kit with Johnny joints

Axle truss

The crossmember material is 1.75" OD, .219" wall DOM

Mounting plate for crossmembers

LSPV go bye-bye

Current plan is to use my existing springs (Eibach) and shocks.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex 400
yeah those things are funky. the reason i used the picture is for the shape of those traction bars. how they curve upwards for clearance.
He better have some crazy traction bars with those kinda blocks
Old 09-16-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex 400
I want to triangulate my rear 4 link some day. My dream is to be able to run baja with it. LT front and rear suspension. should be interesting.

One idea for the lower links is to make almost like a mock radius arm in the sense that i would mount at the bottom and go upwards to give you more clearance.

Kinda like this idea, except more substantial since it is a major suspension component.

You could also use used aluminum tent poles from an army surplus for the control arms, they at least would be beefier. Last but not least, there's bamboo

Last edited by Matt16; 09-16-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM

Whoa, I looked closer, and in that picture above, that's actually a bastardized leave spring setup with 8" blocks
Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Just out of curiosity, why did you not opt to convert to leaf springs?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:31 AM

That's someone else's rig in the picture with the questionable traction bars.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
Just out of curiosity, why did you not opt to convert to leaf springs?
Because it's the same or more work for little/no benefit IMHO. We swaped Molly's rig over to 63" Chevy's, when she bent her axle housing. They are meh OK. The reason we went with leaves in her rig was primarily that we found a leaf spring rear axle for cheap.

I am leaving all the coil buckets and shock locations, so I won't have to fab those (which I would with a leaf spring swap). The cutting and grinding of all the old mounts is actually less than doing a leaf swap since I don't have to remove the upper coil buckets. The crossmembers for the links are not much more work than welding in the front hangers. I don't have to worry about shackle angles and whatnot.

Lastly, a link setup will provide better control of the axle than leaves do - I will never have to worry about axle wrap or wheel hop.

It is looking like I will be able to do this for about $1000, so it is a little more expensive than leaves, but not too much.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Have you thought about using a longer shock? These shock cones provide and extra 2-3" travel, through use of longer shocks. Providing your coils don't fall out the buckets.

Quote from Downey:

"No matter what brand or configuration your 4 Runner rear suspension is, there is the possibility you could gain additional suspension droop (extension) when using longer shocks. Longer shocks, however, have taller shock bodies (oil cans) that could clobber the upper shock mounting panels during suspension compression (bottoming-out). You can use a 2 hole saw to cut out the upper shock mounting panels, bolt-in these 1 tall shock mounting cones, then use longer shocks for additional travel.

EXAMPLE – Downey’s 1 lift 4 Runner rear coils use 9” travel shocks that open up to 23” long. These cones allow use of 10” travel shocks that open up to 25” long."
Old 09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Because it's the same or more work for little/no benefit IMHO. We swaped Molly's rig over to 63" Chevy's, when she bent her axle housing. They are meh OK. The reason we went with leaves in her rig was primarily that we found a leaf spring rear axle for cheap.
what all is involved with the leaf spring swap? my rear end is rusted through and pisses about 2 quarts of gear oil every 300 miles. I have a spare rear end just laying around (gotta love parts trucks!). could I do it for less than 200 bucks?

at the same time, I would do my rear e-locker and all new seals and bearings all around. I mean 200 for the leaf springs, etc, less the bearings, seals, and differential.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:06 PM
tc
Contributing Member

To do a leaf spring swap, you have to cut/grind flush ALL the link mounting brackets. Totally clean off the rear axle (it's a lot of stuff to cut off!). Weld in new hangers. Cut a hole and weld in the sleeve for the swing shackle. Weld leaf perches onto the axle. Install leaf springs. Hope ride height comes out OK.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:08 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt16
Have you thought about using a longer shock? These shock cones provide and extra 2-3" travel, through use of longer shocks. Providing your coils don't fall out the buckets.

Quote from Downey:

"No matter what brand or configuration your 4 Runner rear suspension is, there is the possibility you could gain additional suspension droop (extension) when using longer shocks. Longer shocks, however, have taller shock bodies (oil cans) that could clobber the upper shock mounting panels during suspension compression (bottoming-out). You can use a 2 hole saw to cut out the upper shock mounting panels, bolt-in these 1 tall shock mounting cones, then use longer shocks for additional travel.

EXAMPLE – Downey’s 1 lift 4 Runner rear coils use 9” travel shocks that open up to 23” long. These cones allow use of 10” travel shocks that open up to 25” long."
that is awesome - something like that would be great! Will make getting the nut off the stud even MORE interesting, but there is definitely room and it would keep the shocks mostly straight up and down so you don't lose damping ...
Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
To do a leaf spring swap, you have to cut/grind flush ALL the link mounting brackets. Totally clean off the rear axle (it's a lot of stuff to cut off!). Weld in new hangers. Cut a hole and weld in the sleeve for the swing shackle. Weld leaf perches onto the axle. Install leaf springs. Hope ride height comes out OK.
Or....... you could get a axle out of a similar year pickup then just weld on the front springs hangers as well as rear shackle mounts to the frame. TG (and others) sell those parts so fab is minimal. Just have to pay attention to spring arc and shackle angle. There is a lot of factory linked parts one can leave on the frame if they desire, they don't get in the way. Of course, I am very lazy.

Leaves are simpler as there is no geometry involved, but they are primitive in operation compared to links and can cause headaches such as axle wrap. I guess no solution is perfect, thus the endless threads on suspension theory and design.

Ultimately, I think what you are doing is the way to go TC. I am looking forward to your progress. Will be nice to see an improved factory link system instead of starting from scratch. I'd like to give a try at creating a linked system for a vehicle one day.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

We have most of the parts here so hopefully we'll have some progress updates tomorrow
Old 09-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Once again I find myself on the fence...... Doh!

TC I can see your point, with the grinding etc and better ride

Elvota- You make a good point too, I like the simplicity of leaves as well.

So the million dollar question is: when is the "triangulated 4 link kit" going into production?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by tc
that is awesome - something like that would be great! Will make getting the nut off the stud even MORE interesting, but there is definitely room and it would keep the shocks mostly straight up and down so you don't lose damping ...
You'd have to figure out a coil that could deal with that much travel. Perhaps a cruiser coil configured with the upper bucket (the proper term is escaping me) mounted higher up. That way, the spring would still exert force at full extension- which is kind of the point of the spring.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 PM
tc
Contributing Member

My shocks are definitely what limited my droop travel. I might be able to fit a longer one in there, but would be nervous about bottoming it out and blowing the valves. These cups would give enough "safety factor" to open up the shock selection quite a bit.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by tc
My shocks are definitely what limited my droop travel. I might be able to fit a longer one in there, but would be nervous about bottoming it out and blowing the valves. These cups would give enough "safety factor" to open up the shock selection quite a bit.
If you are worried about bottoming, you could put an air bump stop on there, or a set of doetsch tech pre-runner shocks with a built in bump stop.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
We have most of the parts here so hopefully we'll have some progress updates tomorrow
Here you go!

Troy welding on the Ruff Stuff Gusseting for the Axle...

Old 09-18-2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
You'd have to figure out a coil that could deal with that much travel. Perhaps a cruiser coil configured with the upper bucket (the proper term is escaping me) mounted higher up. That way, the spring would still exert force at full extension- which is kind of the point of the spring.
I've thought about doing this. Using upper and lower coil buckets from either Blue Torch Fab or Ballistic Fab that have retaining plates, but they say to use TJ springs and I'm not sure about spring rates and stuff...
Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Update!

Ask and ye shall receive!

Johnny joints are HUGE!

The gear from Poly Performance

Troy welding on the Ruff Stuff Axle Gusset

We took out the 3rd member so we can have a look at the setup in there (Pinion bearing might need some love) So Pete is grinding on the axle housing.

Pete brought over his nifty shop table and chop saw!

The axle positioned under the truck. Link mounts have been tack welded.

Pete and Troy doing string theory....

Quick Reply: TC's 2nd Gen - Rear 4Link Swap (Buildup Thread)