Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Taurus Fan Saga, Pt 3. Trip over

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Taurus Fan Saga, Pt 3. Trip over

Well for those of you who have been following my trip and the outcome of my Taurus fan install, just wanted to tell you I made it back home in one piece and the 4runner did just fine. With the continued heat in SoCal and the Valley, decided to leave for home a day early late afternoon Friday. With temps in the 80's I headed north on I-5 towards Los Angeles at 4pm. Expected traffic and I was not disappointed. Two minor traffic accidents (not involving me thank God) slowed my progress but got to the north end of LA without too much delay on I-5 headed to Gorman. The first test was now before me and it was looking good!

:walk: The outlook was very positive, minor delays in LA, temp was in the 70's and the traffic was flowing. Wasn't too concerned with over heat just yet but needed to watch the gauge as I didn't wish to chance an overheat by not being observant. About 8 miles from Gorman, all you could see for miles and I mean MILES were red tail lights. Seems about 2 miles out of Gorman there were about 20 fire fighting vehicles, assorted Sheriff, Highway Patrol, ambulances and a news truck. It was totally dark but you could see literally dozens of little head lites on helmets searching the hills. 4 lanes cut down to one ... Long story short, I got to Tejon Pass about 3 hours behind my time table with the temp in the 70's. Dropped down into the valley with temp in the lower 80's. Drove till about 11:30pm and stopped in Buttonwillow to sleep for about 3 hours.

Boys up and loaded in truck and out on the road by 4pm. Temp was in the 60's and mostly clear. Started driving around 65 mph and this would be my target speed for the trip. Made it to Redding at noon and the temp had climbed to around 85. Lake Shasta was in the 70's so no issues with the grade. Temp nice and steady just below 1/2.

Started the climb up the California side of the Siskiyous. this was where if I was going to have any probelms, I shoud see it. The outside temp upper 70's and clear. Pulled the grade in 4th most of the way and still the temp remained at just under 1/2 on the gauge. As we continued the climb into Grants Pass the air temp went up to 92 but I kept the A/C off until we left and started down the grade. Started running the A/C and the outside temp was in low 80's.

Finally got into Bremerton around 11:30PM and dropped off the boys. Was home and in bed by midnite. It was a very long day of driving but no issues with the truck. Final milage figures for the trip home were just over 21 mpg. I had to add about 1/2 a qt of oil for the entire trip (2400+ miles).

Did the fan mod help? I think so. If the reported milage that most get with the gen 2's is any indication then I got very good trip milage from my truck. I ended up bring back more weight then I left with so my truck was pretty much maxed out and you could really see the 4Runner sag but she kept right on moving along. The only complaint I have is I do wish it had more power, but I am very happy with my truck.

I am still going to finish the mod that will include adding a Fan select switch for operation of the high speed of the fan. I intended to add the switch while I was still in California but had some assembly/mod issues with the switch. I used the rear heater fan switch from the center console. I had to modify the switch as the engineers at Toyota seem to have strange way of using these switches. I will take pics of the mod to show what needs to be done to utilize this switch so that it will be a two position with a center OFF switch. Being that it is a Toyota switch it will snap fit right into the dash without any modification to the dash or drilling and the switch has the little fan blade on it. This way it can control a 40 amp relay for direct control of the high speed then control power to the fan controller for slow speed. Another bonus will be that it will turn all fan power off so it could be used for water crossing as has been recommended here. It will involve a bit more then just buying an off the shelf switch, but it will look factory. I will also consider installing a green light for fan running indication (hi/lo) and maybe even a red light hooked up to the center position to tell me that the fan power is OFF when the switch is in the middle OFF position.

Once again THANK YOU to all who have helped me on this mod and on my trip. Your encouragement and assistance with ideas, suggestions and support made the endeavor worthwhile. I hope I will be able to give back to others through this report and the follow up to the switch install and other mods I have planned. Thanks Guys!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
are you a writer? your posts are always really in depth. lol. glad you made it back safe and sound. i still need to do this mod to my truck but its been busy with the surgery... lol. hopefully next week i'll get around to it.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
are you a writer? your posts are always really in depth.
Yeah in a way I am, my kids are always giving me a hard time about how long my responses are to stuff and I did start writing again after my divorce. My lady friend got me started and have been writing a "novel" of sorts, so yeah I guess they do get that way. Used to write tech manual stuff as well as teaching guides when I was in the Navy.

let me know if I can be of any assistance in what I learned in my fan install. Like I said, I am going to install that switch, so I will keep posting when I do the mods and figure out how to attach the pics. I need pics and directions for the things I do. So figure it will help the next guy. Thanks for your help and support too!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thats cool. my mom (whos single an lives in Tacoma ) also is starting to write, and has taken a writing class through the Community college.

i also plan on installing a switch. i ordered a fan On/ON switch from these guys.. http://www.4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/...rswitch40.html so it will be the low setting controled by the controler i bought and then hit the switch the other way and it will be HI all the time. i am not worried about an Off setting since under my hood is far from water proofed at this point (my fan would be the least of my worries) and yes, they also fit the factory holes.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats!

Good luck implementing the hi-speed circuit, let us know how it works.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post and congrtas too
Now I have to get off me arse and install my fan, just can't figur out which controller to get, I'll have to check the tech article again I guess. Aviator
Old 08-04-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see you returned safe sound and cool. Makes me feel better about the Taurus fan install I did in my 94 3.4L swap. Which I am picking up from the exhaust shop today! You probably know them too. Kitsap Muffler located in beautiful Gorst.