Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tall oil filter .vs. Small oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah...I didn't read all the way down on that site. I thought it might be an old ad.

When these were more common a few years ago, I think I bought them for less than $7.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So is this a usable option on the 22re? Purolator PureONE PL20195 according to the fitment guide I seen it will not but I know that most of these filter guides don't really test fit on all engines so I just want to know be for I go out and buy a couple and find out after I change my oil they don't fit.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice thread. When I get around to finding another chassis for my '86 22re, I'm going to switch out the spin on filter. Still keeping the remote Frantz as I see no issue there.

Originally Posted by 86tuning
The problem with the oversized filters (ie big Ford filters) is that they take longer to prime. So when the system is dry, the time that it takes to fill the filter is longer which means more time for dry bearings to scuff up. If you pre-fill the filter before installation, and if the filter has a GOOD anti-drainback seal, you'll be fine. Or if the filter is in a vertical orientation (ie, open end up) it's fine as well.

That's why Toyota packs all that media into a small canister. With the 3vz filters pointing downwards, I'm not sure I'd put a gigantic filter on there, even if it fit.

I use the toyota v8 filters whenever they fit (22re, 5vz, vw, volvo, ford, etc). I don't keep v6 filters around at all.
Running a good synthetic greatly reduces the issue of dry starts.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
So is this a usable option on the 22re? Purolator PureONE PL20195 according to the fitment guide I seen it will not but I know that most of these filter guides don't really test fit on all engines so I just want to know be for I go out and buy a couple and find out after I change my oil they don't fit.
According to a number of 22re owners, the taller size does fit.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51215698

The threads, gasket diameter and filter diameter are the same as stock; the only difference is that the 20195 is 4.74" tall, so you may want to check to make sure there's a good 6" clearance before you buy them. I believe the earlier years' trucks actually came from the factory with filters that were almost 4" tall, so 4.74 = not that much more.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sb5walker
According to a number of 22re owners, the taller size does fit.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51215698

The threads, gasket diameter and filter diameter are the same as stock; the only difference is that the 20195 is 4.74" tall, so you may want to check to make sure there's a good 6" clearance before you buy them. I believe the earlier years' trucks actually came from the factory with filters that were almost 4" tall, so 4.74 = not that much more.
Cool I have a 93 4runner so I will check distance to see if it will fit height wise.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Great thread, lots of great info here, thanks!!!
Can anyone who has used a PureOne PL20195 on a 3VZE confirm that they didn't experience any problems with this size? I did install one today, and it did fit (barely). My only concern is that it brushes against a bolt that mounts something (didn't investigate far enough to see what) to the frame rail. I'm a bit concerned that enough rubbing up against this bolt may cause the filter to puncture.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is the PL20195 on my '89 3.0. The closest point of contact is with the motor mount bolt at the lower front point of the filter. There is still about 3/8" clearance and there is no rubbing anywhere.
Bugs
Attached Thumbnails Tall oil filter .vs. Small oil filter-p1010616-medium-.jpg   Tall oil filter .vs. Small oil filter-p1010617-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by bugs1961; 06-07-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the pics bugs. Your set up is a bit different than mine. Putting this filter on, it brushes up against that bolt and scrapes a bit of the paint off the filter, thats how close it is. I'm concerned continuous contact with that bolt may eventually wear a hole into the filter. I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 AM

I have the same clearance with the PL20195 as bugs. The bolt that it is close to is in the bottom part of the mount... in other words, attached to the frame. Since the mount is rubber in the center and allows the motor to move some, I've been concerned, but like bugs I've never seen any evidence of touching or rubbing. T4R 4ME, I would definitely NOT use the PureONE (or any filter) if it touched a portion of the frame. You inevitably will wear a hole in the filter. I'd suggest using the Toyota 90915-YZZD3 instead, which is still taller than the stock filter with 27% more filter media area, but about an inch shorter than the PureONE, so it should clear no problem.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got my truck with the tall oil filter, soon after i changed it to a shorty, didnt really notice any difference, but im sure the bigun' is better. ill tell ya 1 thing, the long one is a pain to get off due to lack of space, i never put one on my yota so it may be eisier to get on when its not loaded up with oil.

my dad would kill me if i got an oil stain on his garage floor lol!!.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 8lugnuts
I realize it is not necessary but do you not think that increasing the surface area of the filter(via larger filter) PLUS the extra oil capacity will cool the oil temp down? Even if it's just a little the benefit seems like it's worth it.
i doubt a quarter of a quart will make a difference in cooling. i would just stick to what toyota recommends, the use a certain filter for a reason....
Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 AM

I don't use a larger filter for cooling, I use it because it will have better oil flow than one with less surface area. It also will have a longer service life, with less chance of oil flowing through the bypass, but that's probably only a factor for folks who use true group IV/V synthetic oil and run extra long oil change intervals.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by sb5walker
I have the same clearance with the PL20195 as bugs. The bolt that it is close to is in the bottom part of the mount... in other words, attached to the frame. Since the mount is rubber in the center and allows the motor to move some, I've been concerned, but like bugs I've never seen any evidence of touching or rubbing. T4R 4ME, I would definitely NOT use the PureONE (or any filter) if it touched a portion of the frame. You inevitably will wear a hole in the filter. I'd suggest using the Toyota 90915-YZZD3 instead, which is still taller than the stock filter with 27% more filter media area, but about an inch shorter than the PureONE, so it should clear no problem.
Then thats got to be the motor mount that I'm looking at...I didn't look too closely to what it is, just noticed that its close to the filter. So close, that it does actually rub against the filter when I'm screwing it on. There is some clearance, but its a couple millimeters at best. I'll keep an eye on it and change it out if I need to...don't want to cause another oil spill.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM

I've used the larger Pure One, the Napa/Wix 1516, the Fram Extended larger filter and the K&N. So far I like the K&N for the construction and it seems to give better oil flow.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If your running the larger oil filter put a hose clamp on it to help keep oil pressure stable..

Tip from an old Spoon Sports video (Honda Racing)
Old 03-05-2011, 10:49 PM

Just changed over to the taller Purolator PL20195 from the shorter PL10241

Here are some pictures from my 90 for you guys with a 22RE...No problems with clearance

Oh I know its a older thread, but didn't need to start another one

Name:  CIMG0026c.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  34.2 KB
Name:  CIMG0029c.jpg
Views: 5745
Size:  44.4 KB
Name:  CIMG0031c.jpg
Views: 2356
Size:  47.9 KB
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 AM

8lugnuts Wix or baldwin are the best oil filters. Also just because its a bigger filter what you need to research is the psi. rating of the check valve in the filter. I think oem is like 8-9 psi, versus 12 psi. Will the top end starve for oil until the check valve balances pressure? I know a long filter con my 22re made oil pressure gauge react slower than the recommended filter. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Just installed the PL30001 on my 22re yesterday, fits fine. Took almost a whole quart to pre-fill it!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Haha, now THAT's an oil filter. Good that you prefilled it, since it's so huge. Nothing I've seen can touch the efficiency specs of the PureONEs. And for all that filtering, they flow great too. Especially such a giant as the PL30001, lol. The PL20195s I've been using for the past year on my veezy keep the oil WAY cleaner than the Toyota filters did. Good, high oil pressure with them, that comes up very quickly after start. BTW I think diablo has it backwards, it's the filters designed for Fords that have the 8 psi bypass valve spec; from what I can gather the Toyota filters are up at 12-14. But there's no harm in having a lower bypass spec; the harm comes from the bypass valve being needed in the first place. And that comes from a filter becoming clogged, which depends on how much filter media area there is, plus how tight the mesh (efficiency) plus what kind of media (synthetic media like in the PureONEs has very fine fibers and uniform mesh and tend to flow much better at a given efficiency than cellulose filters like in the Wix/NAPA which have fat, irregular fibers).

Last edited by sb5walker; 03-06-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by diablo
8lugnuts Wix or baldwin are the best oil filters. Also just because its a bigger filter what you need to research is the psi. rating of the check valve in the filter. I think oem is like 8-9 psi, versus 12 psi. Will the top end starve for oil until the check valve balances pressure? I know a long filter con my 22re made oil pressure gauge react slower than the recommended filter. Just my 2 cents.
The PSI, Diameter, Gasket size etc....are all the same. I't just 25% longer in length. More surface area to filter oil and now you can add that "extra" half quart of oil you use to have hanging around.

I've been using the NAPA Gold/WiX oversized filter, the K&N HP-2009 and the Purolator P1 PL 20195 and the Purolator Classic L 20195. I still have the Fram Extended Guard filter on my shelf and have not used that one yet since I use Formula Shell and Pennzoil Yellow Bottle for 6-7K mie OCI's.

I've had absolutely no problems using oversized filters and they run just fine. The oversize is the same price as the "tea cup" OEM....so what would you rather use?

Quick Reply: Tall oil filter .vs. Small oil filter