86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tacoma Leaf in Pickup Pack + Shackle

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma Leaf in Pickup Pack + Shackle

I was told by a friend who owns an '84 toyota pickup that I could use a Tacoma leaf in my pickup pack along with a shackle to gain lift. I have never heard of anyone doing this, but it sounds like a good idea.

The leaf he is refering to isn't the overload but the one above it that is arched. My leafs aren't bad, but I think just throwing a shackle on 15 year old leafs wouldn't do them any good. my rear right now sits about 1/4 inch below my front. I think that's good compaired to some that I have seen.

I'm asking if anyone has heard of this setup, would it work, is it a good idea, and would I still have good flex? If anyone can think of a better idea I would love to hear some for my rear setup. I don't have enough money for a pack right now and I know an AAL will hender my flex offroad. How much it will no one has ever told me.

Basically I'm at a loss as to what kind of lift to do with my rear setup. I need some help please. I have done searches, but I need some opinions not just what ever kind of setup will do. Thanks in Advanced.

Chris
Old 02-08-2006, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding a leaf to your 15 year old leaf pack is probably the best thing you can do for 'em. It'll add some load carrying capability and probably boost your sagging, tired leafs. However, I've only heard of using AAL or a Shackle, not both. The Alcan AAL gives about 2" of lift on it's own. The shackle offers some lift and some articulation too. But together....I say give it a try and report back to us.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know of a couple people using the Alcan AAL and they are very happy. I'm trying to save some money right now or I would jump on getting a 63 chevy conversion or leaf pack from somewhere.

Would that idea of the Tacoma leaf work for helping rearch my leaf pack? Then once it's on and I see how much extra lift I will need to match the front. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time and money.

I will keep everyone up to date if I go that route.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set of stock '99 Taco springs in my garage right now. I just went out and looked at the leaf you are asking about.

It doesn't have very much arch to it, and it is pretty long. I think that makes for a good add a leaf. You would probably have to pull your stock spring pack apart, and shuffle the Taco one somewhere in the mix, and maybe even cut it down a bit 'cause it's pretty long.

I would guess you could get about 1" of lift using it. If nothing else, you'll get the thickness of the spring. Go for it if you have access to cheap or free springs to play with.