Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tachometer tester advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tachometer tester advice

I ordered a new INNOVA 3551 Inductive Timing Light. I found out that I also need a tachometer tester for idling purposes as per instructions on the FSM (factory service manual) According to the manual, check the igntion timing using the tachometer tester and timing light as per instructions on pages 588- 598 of FSM manual. Put the shifting gear in neutral while running and the normal rpm idling should be around 750 rpm.

I researched the tachometer tester onine and it appears to be different kinds of tachometers. Some are add-on to the instrument cluster panel. Others are hand held digital testers. Some tachometers are vehicle specific. It is possible to have the wrong tachometer tester for the toyota pickup. Can anyone tell me what is the correct tachometer tester to use for timing and idling purposes on the Toyota pickup 22re 2.4L engine? Or is it necessary to have a tachometer tester for idling rpm? Is there a hand held digital tachometer tester that will work on the Toyota pickup 22re 2.4L engine that I can buy and if so what would be the make and model? Any comments/feedback/advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:29 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
All you really need is a way to accurately measure the rpm so you can believably set it close to 750rpm. If you think your dash tach is accurate, just use that. If you want a second opinion, any handheld digital tach that will pick up the ignition pulses should be plenty accurate. You should be able to pick one up at any auto parts store. Most just clamp over a spark plug wire and pick up the pulse, like a timing light. If you get a stable reading that's not 2 to 1 off of what you think it should be, you're getting a good measurement.

Talk to the folks at AutoZone or O'reilly's. They may be able to fix you up with a loaner or bring one out to the parking lot to verify the accuracy of your in-dash tach.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:40 AM

RJR, thanks for your comments in your previous post. I appreciated it. For clarification on the tachometer issue, I do not have an in-dash tachometer on my pickup.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Here is the diagram of the tachometer below for the 22re Igntion timing setup. I am not sure whether a handheld digital tachometer will work. If that is the case, what would be the specific type of a tachometer will work on my 1992 toyota pickup? Notice that the diagram also written in number 3: As some tachometers are not compatible with this ignition system, we recommend that you confirm the compatibility of your unit before use.

Any comments out there to clarify this issue?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
precauti.pdf (8.4 KB, 123 views)
Old 07-06-2017, 09:51 AM
RJR

I would consider something like this which will clip on to a spark plug wire.
http://www.tooltopia.com/electronic-...waAiRkEALw_wcB

Either that or a digital multimeter with an rpm function which should work as per the diagram in the FSM. Some multimeters have a "Hz" (cycles per second) function. You can convert that reading to rpm simply by multiplying by 60.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:38 AM

RJR, YES!!! that is exactly what I am looking. Especially with a clip on for the igntion wiring electrical clip on for the No. 1 spark plug wire. You hit it on the nail. Other tachometers just measured the rpm speed only and not the electrical timing spark plug wires to accurately measure the correct rpm. Thanks and you made my day!!!
Old 07-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Hertz readings settings conversions to rpm on multimeter

I have a E-tek Digital Multimeter model 10711w and I am not sure it carries hertz (hz) settings. The main categories listed on the multimeter are: DC Voltage, AC Voltage, Resistance, DC Current and Battery. See the below attachment/image. Click on the attachment/image and will show upright multimeter with all the settings clearly seen. Does any of these settings converted to Hz readings and if so what would be the conversion to convert that reading to rpm be?
Attached Thumbnails Tachometer tester advice-f8505610-726c-4a85-947b-d8d2cd9e2333_1.8e145f67982b7c91e2be12bc479ae195-copy.jpg  
Old 07-06-2017, 04:33 PM

The manager at autozone explained and devised an equation or formula for rpm conversion from herz (hz) using the multimeter due to no herz or rpm function on the multimeter itself, only volts. After reviewing my options, I went ahead an ordered the Electronic Specialties (ESI328) EZ Tach +Plus Automotive Tachometer as recommended by RJR in his previous post. That way I can use this on other vehicles as well as less complicated in comparison with the multimeter.

In addition, I am thinking about getting a tachometer for the pickup since there is no built-in tachometer inside on the instrument cluster panel itself. After doing some research,a separate tachometer that can be attach to behind the steering wheel column in front of the instrument cluster panel or possibly inside the cup holder above the center of the heater controls panel or elsewhere. Is there a specific tachometer that I can get that would work on my 1992 Toyota pickup 22re 2.4L or the tachometer is universal itself and would work on any vehicle? There is a tachometer named Equis part number 5076 as described below in the attachment. Will this particular tachometer will work?
Attached Thumbnails Tachometer tester advice-eq5076.jpg  
Old 07-07-2017, 08:59 AM
RJR

I can't say about that particular one, but most aftermarket tachs just need a connection to the primary side of the coil or to some signal that pulses every time the ECU fires the ignition. The tach will also need a means to set it for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, since the number of ignition pulses per revolution depends on the number of cylinders.

I don't see anything on your multimeter that would read Hz or frequency, so it will not be of use to you for rpm measurements.

Last edited by RJR; 07-07-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:36 AM

RJR, Thanks for your last post. I appreciated it. Yes, I agreed with you on the issue of the multimeter conversion and/or not having reading Hz or frequency for rpm measurements. It is a good thing, based on your recommendation, that I ordered the Electronic Specialties (ESI328) EZ Tach +Plus Automotive Tachometer. It should arrive at my home next week.

Also, I ordered a tachometer for the inside of my truck. Here is the tachometer I ordered at Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

Notice in the detail section of the tachometer indicating settings adjustment for 4, 6, and 8 cylinders. So I think this tachometer should work on my toyota pickup.

The tachometer should also arrive by next week as well. In addition, the new INNOVA 3551 Inductive Timing Light arrived today. I will follow up on my progress in this forum as soon as I get the motor back on the engine bay and other related parts as well. Stay tune.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:25 AM

Update:

Both the Electronic Specialties (ES INNOVA 3551 Inductive Timing Light and I328)EZ Tach +Plus Automotive Tachometer arrived at my home. I can't wait to get started putting the engine back together and have it running but I am still waiting for my friend to help me. Stay tune.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:26 AM

OOPS sorry about the large fronts in last posting.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Learning
OOPS sorry about the large fronts in last posting.
You can always go back and edit, you know?
Less distracting.